Anyone else changed their mind on a bigger iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShaneBunting, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

I was once one of those people who never wanted the 3.5" screen to change, and never felt a slight bit of desire for a larger phone like we've been seeing since 2010 from HTC and Samsung etc.. And nearing the iPhone 5 event, I was still in the mindset that Apple would never change it.

But then they did make the screen bigger, and after a while I thought 'Well ok, they did it the right way', after seeing the ad where they show the guys hand and how his thumb can reach all parts of the screen..

So now, as an iPhone 5 owner, (ready for the 2014 iPhone whenever it may be released) I'm starting to see the attraction toward a larger iPhone. I'm not even sure why, but the Nexus 5 and LG G-Flex screens look so crisp and I hate to admit it, but they look so clear and well-constructed in person.

Maybe I'm just bored. But has anyone else had the same change of mind recently?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

No, a phone has to be practical with suits. The iPhone 5s is a very practical size.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'm the opposite. I'd rather go back to 3.5". I hope they provide options. Give a phablet for those crazy people but keep a real phone for those of us that want it too.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Imo I don't think you "changed" views.

Just had an irrational view in the first place that put too much knee-jerk type precedence on something less important that was more a reflection of conservative decision making as opposed to making a choice that really is congruent with true intellectual integrity.

Its really all about psychology of personality types. Having worked in sales for about a decade I can sense how people make choices about what they "like."

In conclustion, Apple tells you what to like.

5. jj03 macrumors member

They will NEVER go back to 3.5". The current iphone 5 is a good size and not a phablet!! Its good they have a bigger sized phone now.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Ive never had a problem with the iPhone screen size...But I am looking forward to a new feel & complete redsign (similar to iPad air) @ 4.7". Mostly because im bored & i'm excited to see what Apple comes up with. I love the phone, but I'm getting tired of the same look. I think the phone will translate beautifully in an iPad air-ish kind of design.

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I had a conversation with an android user the other day that included him saying "why don't you just hold it with one hand and control it with the other?"

With the exception of those with poor eyesight, why would anyone give up one handed control just to make the screen a little bigger?

8. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'm not calling the 4" screen a phablet. I'm talking about the rumors of a larger iphone 6. By the way, I have a 5s, hence why I said "go back". I know they probably won't go back, but that's what I would prefer.

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I don't know about the crazy people. But the crazy one is the one that wants 3.5" in 2014!

10. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

It also depends on your hand size. I have a 5s and a nexus 5.i can use either comfortably with one hand, honestly. Maybe I have are hands?

Anyway... I gravitate towards the nexus 5 as my go to phone. Android has come a long way and can compete with Apple (unless Samsung gets a hold of it).... And mostly it's the large screen. It's wonderful to use.

If apple increases the screen size enough... I may seem both phones to pick up the new iPhone.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

They may offer several sizes at some point, but they will never go back to the screen ratio of the older iPhones.

One of the advantages in iOS development over Android is that you have only 3 screen ratios to design for. iPad, old iPhone/iPod, new iPhone/iPod.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Because a bigger screen looks better.

I dont understand how this even needs to be said. Its like that concept doesn't even exist to you?

13. Kolmogorov, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

Kolmogorov macrumors member

One-hand usability is such an absurd defense for small screens, why a person has to be able to do EVERYTHING using just one hand???

Larger screens simply must come this year, otherwise apple is just not giving its customers best experiences, at all. Honestly I can never fully enjoy the photos taken by my iPhone 5 on its own screen...

14. Deguello macrumors 6502

My mother still has a 4s. Zod, that thing looks godawful even next to a 5.

There are plenty of posts about how the screen could be made substantially larger using almost the exact same form factor as the 5/s/c. Not exactly phablet territory.

15. cynics macrumors G4

Imagine a world where you can't drive, drink a beer, smoke a cigarette AND text!! Not a world is want to live in.

/s

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I wish I was an octopus

17. Kolmogorov macrumors member

You mean you have to be able to use your phone to do EVERYYHING at ANY time? Luckily I don't need that...

----------

Great one!

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ppl saying they don't want a bigger screen will be first in line for the next iPhone.

I should start quoting all these ppl

19. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

This is becoming stupid.

Apple should do for the iPhone what they did for the iPod line. In short, Have all screen sizes covered just like they did in the past for the iPod.

Anyone could look at the iPod line up and find something that was for them.

I for one really want a bigger screen size. It's hard not to notice the Note 3 and Sony Xzperia, New bigger HTC One, just to name a few.

iPhones are no different. Options, choices are always a wonderful thing to have.

What works for me, might not suit or work for another.

20. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

First, it doesn't look better, it's just easier to see detail. Again, not a big deal for me as I have good eyesight, and failing that, I move the phone 6" closer to my face, making it fill the same amount of my field of view as a phablet would at arms length. In actual screen quality (color, black darkness, etc) Apple is among the best.

One handed use is important to some. "It's like that concept doesn't even exist to you?"

I use my phone one handed while driving (not fast, just in traffic or whatever), while cooking, while working out, while working (a power tool in one hand, phone for reference in the other), while my wife is lying on my other arm, and in dozens of other situations. I don't understand why anyone would give that up.

----------

Absurd? Why a person would buy a less usable device is absurd. And yes, requiring two hands does make it less usable, since that adds to the number of situations in which you can't use it.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm no to sure how I feel about a big screen yet?

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A larger screen doesn't necessarily mean the phone is going to physically grow in size. You could fit a 4.5" screen in the current dimensions of the iPhone 5/5s. A 4.7" screen can fit into a device only marginally larger.

If Motorola can make a device with a 4.7" screen that can be used one handed, then Apple should be able to do just fine. To me, it seems like the current iPhone design has a lot of wasted space above and below the screen..

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

24. suprakc macrumors regular

You know, I really dig my 5s, and often prefer reading from iBooks, etc... on my iPhone rather than iPad. I know, strange.

I am also extremely active, and iPhone goes everywhere with me - so its size is ideal.

I am sure, however, that whatever size changes will be done in an "apple" kind of way that will just... make sense. IMO.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

What type of suit are you wearing that wouldn't accommodate a 5 inch smartphone? A diving suit perhaps? A bathing suit? :D

A bigger screen on the iPhone will be a huge relief. The 3.5 inch screen was more than enough when the iPhone first came out, but the way people use smartphones has evolved considerably and now the 4 inch screen is too small for many people. I think a 5 inch iPhone will greatly outsell the 4 inch if both are on the market at the same time.