Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
The iPhone 5 fared a lot better in drop tests than the 4 or 4s. The glass back on the 4 and 4s was a huge problem if you dropped your phone from a distance. Also the 5 is silky smooth as far as responsiveness goes. Yours must have been defective. Also, the speed difference between it and the 4s is very significant and is a pure joy to use. The colors are so richer compared to the 4s. Mine came without any issues but my wifes iPhone 5 has an issue with the + volume button getting stuck a lot so she will be going to get a replacement in a couple of days. It comes with a warranty so if there is any issue I can get it replaced anytime an issue comes up. I'll say it again, the increased speed, bigger screen and lighter weight yet solid are all major upgrades over the 4s.

You have to remember that people usually go to the Internet when bad things happen. I have bought many products that I really liked but never really bothered to write a review online about most of them. Now on the other hand, the few times I bought something I didn't like, I wrote a negative review most of the time. People tend to bring out the bad and not talk much about the good. My advice to anyone is to get one for yourself and then judge it. It's a sweeeet phone!.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
This forum is filled with some very well fed, spoiled and bored people. Only if the lot of us cared as much about our diet, character, and charitable giving as a darn phone this world would be a mega mega place.

IMO after a couple days worth of use the iPhone 5 should've been what the 4s was at the time of its release. It's an evolutionary upgrade. Nothing so innovative that it disrupts what competitors are doing (Samsung is leading the $ales game at the moment) but does the smartphone job with minimal fuss like no other vendor can offer.

I'm very happy to get a bigger screen, faster connectivity, and better efficiency. Only people who wish to stunt your growth would recommend not going to the 5 should this kind of thing be a priority in your life.

Scuffs? Lol. Weird people everywhere.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Yeah I didn't like it,I am returning mine and wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
I've had every iPhone except the 4S (gave my wife my upgrade do she could get 64GB for baby pics & video). Not really that impressed with the 5 & would be TICKED if I got damages out of the box.

I have worked on the a major carrier's device team so I got paid to play with phones & I hated ALLLL Androids (& their crappy cameras)..until I picked up a little Nexus 7 for fun. I really like Jelly Bean & I am testing out all the equivalent services. That Galaxy Note 2 has me tempted.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Now, about the black: if your phone came with metal showing and/or is wearing quickly, take it back! As for me, it's fine after being with me since launch day in my pocket with no case (I don't let anything else in that pocket, that would be a rookie mistake). BUT, I too worry about scuffs, so I plan to deal with the eventuality by researching the best way to touch up the future scuff spots. It's that simple!

Try this instead of a black sharpie pen.

http://scuffgate.net/how-to-repair-a-scuffed-iphone-5/

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I thought the 5 felt cheap when held alongside my 4. Sort of like the 5 felt like a prototype and not made in the real material intended for it

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The iPhone 5 blows away the 4s. Build quality is as good or better than the 4s, so is the screen, twice as fast proc, LTE, better camera etc.
A tiny amount of silver? Oh my.
If you have a screen issue get a replacement phone from Apple.
I'm not getting your complaints other than the adapter issue which still doesn't sound like that big a deal.
The lightning port and cable is progress.

I am in no way anti-Apple. All of the hardware in my home and business is Apple and I have had iPhones since the 3G, but having spent a week with my new 5, I've had enough. I am not going to enjoy typing this, and am extremely disappointed to be so unhappy with something Apple given the money I've invested in the company's products and the loyalty I have for the brand.

The final straw is noticing the the edge of the band is just starting to lose its colour, with tiniest amount of silver just starting to wear through......and before anyone says it, I really don't see why I should expect a £529GBP piece of hardware to start to look tatty with normal use within a week.
It has been used normally in the same way as all of my previous iPhone's and lives in my trouser or jacket pocket with whatever else is in there at the time. In one week my 5 looks worse than the just over 12 month old 4S it's replaced.

The lightning cable is a total pain. I have TomTom iPhone 4 cradle, a charger upstairs, one downstairs and one in my iMac plus a car charger......and one lightning cable that I keep having to take everywhere with me as the lightning adapters don't seem to be available anywhere in the UK yet, least of all Apple itself.

And when they are available I don't really want to invest money in a load of adapters that aren't compatible with the iPad2 that is also charged with the existing cables that I already have in different parts of the house.

I also don't want to have to remember to take another piece of plastic with me when I take regular trips with my iPad and iPhone.

The touch screen has been problematic from the getgo, often needing to be touched 4 or 5 times to get a reaction.

I don't like the way it feels in my hand. The 4/S feels lovely to hold and use in a way that the 5 just....doesn't. It feels too big, too light and frankly, quite cheap and tinny compared to the 4S.
The longer screen is great if you watch videos or play games, but for general usage I find it quite cumbersome.

I know this is terribly negative, but there are genuinely so many things I just don't like about it.
This is the first Apple product that I have fallen out with......The iPhone 4S was a huge leap in terms of quality and over all feel and looks over the 3G with its plastic back, but I really think the 5 is a retrograde step compared to the 4.

Whenever anything Apple has been launched before, there's always been something ultra special and innovative about it that has set it apart even from its own products let alone other brands. With the 5 there is nothing at all really!

So as of tomorrow my 5 is up for sale before it looks any worse, and I shall be very happy to go back to my lovely, chunky, quality feeling 4S....Just have to get Vodafone to give me a microsim again!

We'll see what comes out next year and perhaps try again.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
I am in no way anti-Apple. All of the hardware in my home and business is Apple and I have had iPhones since the 3G, but having spent a week with my new 5, I've had enough. I am not going to enjoy typing this, and am extremely disappointed to be so unhappy with something Apple given the money I've invested in the company's products and the loyalty I have for the brand.

The final straw is noticing the the edge of the band is just starting to lose its colour, with tiniest amount of silver just starting to wear through......and before anyone says it, I really don't see why I should expect a £529GBP piece of hardware to start to look tatty with normal use within a week.
It has been used normally in the same way as all of my previous iPhone's and lives in my trouser or jacket pocket with whatever else is in there at the time. In one week my 5 looks worse than the just over 12 month old 4S it's replaced.

The lightning cable is a total pain. I have TomTom iPhone 4 cradle, a charger upstairs, one downstairs and one in my iMac plus a car charger......and one lightning cable that I keep having to take everywhere with me as the lightning adapters don't seem to be available anywhere in the UK yet, least of all Apple itself.

And when they are available I don't really want to invest money in a load of adapters that aren't compatible with the iPad2 that is also charged with the existing cables that I already have in different parts of the house.

I also don't want to have to remember to take another piece of plastic with me when I take regular trips with my iPad and iPhone.

The touch screen has been problematic from the getgo, often needing to be touched 4 or 5 times to get a reaction.

I don't like the way it feels in my hand. The 4/S feels lovely to hold and use in a way that the 5 just....doesn't. It feels too big, too light and frankly, quite cheap and tinny compared to the 4S.
The longer screen is great if you watch videos or play games, but for general usage I find it quite cumbersome.

I know this is terribly negative, but there are genuinely so many things I just don't like about it.
This is the first Apple product that I have fallen out with......The iPhone 4S was a huge leap in terms of quality and over all feel and looks over the 3G with its plastic back, but I really think the 5 is a retrograde step compared to the 4.

Whenever anything Apple has been launched before, there's always been something ultra special and innovative about it that has set it apart even from its own products let alone other brands. With the 5 there is nothing at all really!

So as of tomorrow my 5 is up for sale before it looks any worse, and I shall be very happy to go back to my lovely, chunky, quality feeling 4S....Just have to get Vodafone to give me a microsim again!

We'll see what comes out next year and perhaps try again.

This what is wrong with a lot of apple users. You don't want change so you keep getting the same thing over and over again. Why don't you just keep you iPhone 4S and never upgrade. I mean the iPhone 5 has taken huge steps forward and I keep seeing the same comments. I don't like it is too tall. What the crap do you want? The iPhone 4sss? Are you kidding me. The reason the iPhone is still stuck with a 5 year OS cause apple is afraid to move forward because it will make people like you mad. Just don't ever upgrade and keep your out of date OS and phone.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
According to this "person" I shouldn't express my opinion about the iPhone 5 in the iPhone section, in a thread asking for an opinion on the iPhone 5 on a message board dedicated to everything Mac, and I presume therefore that neither should those who have done likewise in this thread.

I didn't see anything wrong with your initial post. For what it's worth, though, I think if you're going to participate on forums you might be better served just ignoring the trolls rather than trying to get the last word with them. Odds are you don't have as much free time as they do, and they've had a lot more practice (and are very well fed).

Sometimes that means you have to develop a thick skin, and sometimes it means you have to bite your tongue. But that's just life on the Internet, and was even true back when we were all posting on mailing lists and bulletin boards.

michaelmac3

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
I find it hysterical people get so upset and adamant about criticizing when people say they don't like the 5. I loved it at first, but when my home button started malfunctioning and I realized that I can't even get a call out without it cutting out or dropping completely, I don't like it any more. I also miss using my car radio with my headunit designed for the 30 pin ports. Thats just the problems being an early adopter. Risk facing problems. I might come back to one after a while, but I ordered a new 4S and returning my 5 tomorrow. If you lose sleep over it, sorry boutcha.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I find it hysterical people get so upset and adamant about criticizing when people say they don't like the 5. I loved it at first, but when my home button started malfunctioning and I realized that I can't even get a call out without it cutting out or dropping completely, I don't like it any more. I also miss using my car radio with my headunit designed for the 30 pin ports. Thats just the problems being an early adopter. Risk facing problems. I might come back to one after a while, but I ordered a new 4S and returning my 5 tomorrow. If you lose sleep over it, sorry boutcha.

Some people get seriously offended period when you say you don't like any Apple product as if their opinion is the end all be all.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
In addition to what has been said about the 5..
I'm quitting my iPhone 4 to a first gen, :rolleyes:
I regret selling it all those years ago :(

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I'm sorry you feel this way. I love my iPhone 5, but I guess tastes and opinions can differ. For me, it also helps that I literally use zero docking accessories, so the switch to Lightning was nothing but improvement.

Same here. The lightening cable thing doesn't bother me one bit.

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
Hellll no! I love my new iPhone5. I can't get over how much better it is with the 4" screen...it's a world of difference. This is the perfect size, I really don't want Apple to go any bigger. I've had no issues- cosmetic, nor mechanical...I really can't say anymore...it's just perfection! :D:apple::D

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This what is wrong with a lot of apple users. You don't want change so you keep getting the same thing over and over again. Why don't you just keep you iPhone 4S and never upgrade. I mean the iPhone 5 has taken huge steps forward and I keep seeing the same comments. I don't like it is too tall. What the crap do you want? The iPhone 4sss? Are you kidding me. The reason the iPhone is still stuck with a 5 year OS cause apple is afraid to move forward because it will make people like you mad. Just don't ever upgrade and keep your out of date OS and phone.

Let's be clear. The ip5 is not a huge advance. In many respects it's inconvenient.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Already did. I ordered it at midnight like every other Apple lover and sat home all day waiting for UPS to deliver it. It's just a "meh" product for me. I'd much rather use my S3. iP5 is sitting in its box in my closet.

(Before anyone proclaims that I am an Apple hater, go look at my sig. I've spent thousands there just this year)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Nope not a chance. This is a GREAT phone. Coming from the 4S too.

From hardware POV:

Light weight
Better low reflection screen
Super color balance.
Thinner
Faster
Great battery life.
Nice Lightening connector. Hate USB.
Scratch free camera lens
Great low light camera sensor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.