Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
If you start loading pictures on these 16 gigs you'll fill it up fast. For some reason, the iPad 3 takes more space for pics than my iPad 2. A lot more.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
Seems as if some users of higher capacity iPads think it is a bad option to save $100 and have to manage their data. It's all personal preference.

It's completely ignorant to say someone that has bought a 16 gig iPad, did so just because they can't afford the 32 or 64. I can afford the 64 and I bought the 16, and I'm happy with it.

The 32 would be nice, but is the tiny bit of time I save by not having to manage unused or unnecessary applications or media worth it? Not in my opinion. Just my two cents :)

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
My iPad 1 was a 16gig and I never even came close to filling it up. Of course I don't play games or download movies, so its never been a problem. When I got the new iPad, I went for the same thing, 16gig WiFi and am loving it.

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I sold my 64gb wifi model for $550, what's your point again?

He isn't talking about raw dollar amounts... more about resale value as a percentage of its original price. Whether you like it or not... a base item will generally have a higher resale value than a customized or upgraded version of that same device. It's easier to find more people willing to pay less, and in turn the larger number of buyers drive up the final price. That is why base levels maintain their value better. Ironic isn't it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
You only need more than 16 GB if:
1)You play big games like RAGE HD which is 1GB alone or so. If you download only 4 games of those, you can see how it will go. I am guessing games will only grow in size now with Retina definition.

2)You store media. Video and audio eat up all the memory. I don't consider myself. I don't consider myself a music enthusiasts. Days pass by me without listening to any songs, yet my music library take 5.7 GB.

When you consider that iOS already take like 2 GB of the storage, you really had sonly 14GB.

its ok as long as you are not planning to store your media or play huge games.

Personally I am moving towards the 32GB.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
I originally pre ordered a 16GB but then figured that with retina display, I probably will not upgrade next year. Returned the 16GB and went with a 32GB.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
After reading through these threads guess I'll be purchasing at the minimum a 32GB WIFI + 4G iPad in the coming weeks. I'll be doing the same with the next iPhone as well.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Im fine with 16GB. All this hysteria and hand wringing over retina display app sizes is silly. I don't keep apps installed that I don't use and I use iCloud for music.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
He isn't talking about raw dollar amounts... more about resale value as a percentage of its original price. Whether you like it or not... a base item will generally have a higher resale value than a customized or upgraded version of that same device. It's easier to find more people willing to pay less, and in turn the larger number of buyers drive up the final price. That is why base levels maintain their value better. Ironic isn't it.

Not true.

As soon as the "new iPad" was released, I've had around half a dozen people bid on my iPad 2 before the new one was released. It is not difficult at all, so many people are selling there lower models that buyers can find it anywhere, they know that not often they can find a good deal on a 64gb so they would rather go after mine for the storage space alone.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm doing good with 16GB on my iPad2, I have more than half my storage left. If/when I upgrade, I'll probably get a 32GB 'just in case' and for the resell value. But I'm definitely not running out of space any time soon.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Bought a 16 gig wi-fi model for the chick, she uses it for internet, email, news, and lots of books. It's perfect for these uses, no need to spend more money.

If you're downloading big games, plan on taking lots of video, or need the iPad as a storage device, then get the 64 gig model.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I've survived on a 16gb iphone for as long as they've been available and never came close to filling it up. I've always maintained my music separately on an iPod for some reason.

This was my first iPad purchase and I chose a 32gb just to be safe. After thinking about it even more I upgraded to 64gb. More than likely the 32 was enough but I don't really plan to upgrade every year. My plan is when traveling to load this thing up so I don't even have to worry about WiFi either. Just have everything on the device. It's probably overkill but I decided to treat myself.

Everyone has their own needs when it comes to this stuff. I believe 16gb can be easily managed and is more than enough for many users.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
I'm content with 16 gb as well. I've still got 12 gb left after installing my apps, which only took about 1 gb. I have my music on iTunes Match and always delete unused programs anyway. No regrets with my 16 gb :)

I was gonna say the same thing, but you already did. 16GB is plenty if you have Match, not so if you don't and like a lot of music.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I got a reasonable discount on a 32 from a friend who needed a 64 it was still more expensive than a 16 but I definetly could have survived with 16 with a little picking around.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
There have been a lot of threads talking about how 16GB is a unusable amount of space now. So far, I'm good to go with my 16. Of course I'm going to have to do more media management like maybe sometimes choosing which games I want to have on it, but I really don't mind doing that on occasion. Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree completely. I am satisfied with 16GB of memory on my iPad 2. I hardly have media on it anyway as I don't have time for that - and when I do, I use my media system at home to watch movies etc on.

I also have a iPod classic with 160GB of space on it. :cool:

Having said that though, if I did have more space, I would probably use more than 16GB of it, because it would be there to use.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I don't put movies on my iPad so for me 16gb is way more than enough. I have pretty much all I need and still have 2gb left. When new games I want to play come out I'll just delete the old ones...easy enough. PLus all my music is on my phone and I'm ok with that.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not really. If you look at cost/price ratio the 16gb is the best value. Apple makes most of its money from the the suckas who buy the 64gb.
My thoughts exactly. Well not quite exactly, lol. I think it is the 32GB that is the worst deal on an iPad.

The increase in manufacturing cost from 16GB to 32GB is only $16.80, but the price goes up by $100.00. At least the 64GB doesn't increase at the same rate: you get another 48GB for $200.

As for me I go through phases where I will use the iPad more than the mb air, and then the other way around.

The only thing stored on my iPad, media wise, are apps. Even at 16GB I always end up with several gigs of apps I never use. I guess I don't treat my iPad as a store device.

Michael

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
I have owned every iPad and I always go with 16 gig because it's all I need. I have wifi at home and net from either AT&T iPad or tw mobile hotspot so im never too bad off. Now I will be flying to Europe soon so yes on the 8 or so hour plane ride, more movies might have been better but it's still not worth having more space.

I guess I could put the money I saved towards a wifi hard drive I see offered from seagate I think it was, but it's not a have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.