Anyone else having a hard time justifying the upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mosx, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mosx macrumors 65816

I know I am. Bought an iPhone 3G S 16GB at Walmart for $97 knowing full well the iPhone 4 would be out within a month. Bought it before the ETF went up.

I'm just really having a hard time justifying taking back my 3G S and getting an iPhone 4. I'm still in the return window, so I can do it.

I don't care about "FaceTime". Why? Well, the fact that its iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 and wifi only kills it in almost every practical situation. The only time you'll be able to realistically use it is when you're somewhere that you'll most likely have access to a computer with a webcam anyway. None of the people I video chat with have an iPhone. Better yet, those that do have iPhones are rarely around wifi except at home. And when at home, why not use my MacBook and Skype?

I'm not buying the hype surrounding the new display. I won't deny that colors and black levels will be better. But, aside from the macro closeup shots showing the pixel density, the real world advantages won't be anywhere near what people are saying. You're still going to be holding your iPhone a foot and a half or more from your face. So you're essentially just shoving more pixels into the same size area, and at that distance, any gain is lost by way of how things naturally work. Go google viewing distances if you don't believe me. I know I don't hold my iPhone against my face.

I already have an iPad as well, so I've already experienced the "speed" upgrade. Its there but its nothing Earth shattering. iPhone games run about the same on both the iPad and iPhone 3G S. Higher resolution games actually run worse on the iPad than on the iPhone. Look how bad Hero of Sparta runs on the iPad compared to the iPhone. Same game with higher quality graphics, but the iPad version has such a bad frame-rate that its unplayable.

The only real advantage I can see is the better camera. The sample pictures look ok. I like the idea of 720p recording. I don't care for the iMovie app. I never used it on my Mac. It's also hard to justify that when theres so many other cameras out there in the $100-$150 that do damn good 720p as well as a few that do either 720p60 or 1080p. Theres also a number of point and shoot digicams out there for $100 that kick the crap out of any and all cellphone cams.

I don't care about the new design. I've never cared about design. Functionality is far more important than design.

The better battery life isn't particularly impressive. Anyone who uses push services and Exchange email over 3G knows that the battery will still be drained fast and it won't be an extra 2 hours, it will be more like an extra half hour or so using those background data services.

I don't care about the gyroscope either. I can't see that adding to games, because most of the games on the platform now are annoying because of the lack of physical controls. I can't see how adding more "motions" will improve things.

Software wise, the iPhone 3G S will do everything iPhone 4 does. So, it's really difficult for me to say its worth it to take my 3G S back and pay the extra $100 (as well as deal with that $325 ETF) for iPhone 4. Anyone else?

2. iPhone 4 macrumors newbie

too long, didn't read

PS. Haha @ screen hype. Have you seen the screen yourself? You know that...people who actually HAVE seen it are calling it remarkable, amazing, saying stuff like how they "can't imagine going back to the 3gs screen"
    So....how exactly is there no real world application?

Oh well, it's hard to talk to these iPhone haters... what do you want it to do? Make breakfast?

3. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think all of the features are a great improvement over the 3GS. You're the only one who can decide though, not us.

4. mosx thread starter macrumors 65816

They're also known Apple fanboys that raved on about how much of an improvement the 3G screen was, and then the 3G S, despite it being the same freakin screen.

They're also the same people that said the 2G iPod touch was a "HUGE" speed improvement over the original and iPhone 3G, even though it was the same architecture clocked slightly higher.

5. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'm not wildly excited about the new iPhone, either. My friend at AT&T said he could get me a full upgrade discount (score!) but I don't know if I'll end up using it. The screen resolution bump is nice, and the new design is pretty sexy, but the higher ETF has me weary about signing a new contract with AT&T. I'm happy with what I have, and hopefully next summer I'll see a better reason to get a new iPhone (more RAM, faster processor, and other fun additions). I think a two year upgrade cycle is more what I'm interested in.

Besides, my girlfriend would rather I spend the money on a nice vacation for us then on a new piece of technology that I don't really need. ;)

6. mosx thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats another good point.

iPhone 4 does have a faster CPU. But its still the same GPU and RAM. It's not a true upgrade, its a slight upgrade.

And that $325 ETF is way too hard to swallow. Might be well off right now. But who is to say what things will be like a year from now? If you have to cancel a year from now, you'll still owe just over $200 ETF. You'll still owe almost $100 at month 23 out of 24.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Something besides the new features to think about; the resale value later on down the road. I expect the 3G/3GS prices to take a dive once the iPhone 4 is out in the public. This factor has influenced me every year of upgrading.

8. iPhone 4 macrumors newbie

Hmm, i believe fanboys would say that, but not tech editors. The new revisions of the iPhone never really advertised a display improvement until the iPhone 4. If there indeed was some difference, the biggest difference is here...with the iPhone 4.

I heard very very favorable raves about the new screen from tech editors who were at WWDC. But...time will tell, I'll see it in person before I keep arguing my side.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

tl;dr

If you can't justify the purchase then don't buy the phone. You don't need another iPhone. It's just stupid to try and convince yourself you need one.

10. mosx thread starter macrumors 65816

As I said in my original post, its the same size display. You'll still be holding it the same difference from your face. Which means all of those extra pixels are lost do the nature of how your eyesight and viewing distances work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance Good article on viewing distance.

As I said, I'm not disputing that color and black levels will be better. But the improved pixel density will be lost due to viewing distance and the fact that the screen is the same size and you're just cramming more pixels into a smaller area. Pixel count doesn't always matter as much as pixel quality when we're talking about no screen size increase.

11. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

I'm not going to bother with the iPhone 4. Simply enough, I'm stuck in contract with my iPhone 3G until January, so I might aswell wait 5 months for the inevitable iPhone 5.

12. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If you don't want to deal with all that, stay with the 3GS. I have it and it's fine, but with the AT&T rep saying I could return it and get the 4 for around $50 more, I don't see why not.

The 3gs is remarkable, hell I even think the 2G is still phenominal technology. Whatever suits your desires, it's your money.

13. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Oh my gosh...WAY too long to stay interested. If you can't justify the cost of upgrading...don't.

14. skyehill macrumors 6502

Yeah it definitely doesn't come close to the idiotic "it changes everything again" slogan. Facetime is a joke, the screen is nice...if you hold your phone 3 inches from your face. I don't see the individual pixels in my 3G unless I press my face against it. The only real changes are in the OS and even those changes leave them far behind what Android and Webos can do, but at least you'll see most of those changes on your 3GS. It's not a huge change at all, but the processor and camera upgrades are big enough for people with first or 2nd gen iphone to notice a speed change in their apps.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. MrSingh macrumors regular

this will be my first iP so no such upgrading dilemmas for me :)

17. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

You don't really think there will be a new iPhone 5 in 5 months, do you? :rolleyes:

OP, you sound like you are trying to talk yourself out of the iPhone 4. Buy it or don't. We cannot decide for you.

18. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

If your current phone works for you, don't upgrade. It's as simple as that.
    For me, moving from a 3g to the iPhone 4 is a no brainer. However, I felt much as you do now when it was time to upgrade to the 3gs. Not sufficient enhancements for me to justify spending the money.
    But this one is different for me and I am looking forward to more room, faster overall performance and a few new features that will be fun to have. As I've posted before in other places, it's a phone, it's not my life.:rolleyes:

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope, not a hard time at all

my 3g iphone is slow as molasses

20. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I have a regular old iPhone 3G, so everything on this iPhone 4 is worth upgrading for!

21. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

No, I'm coming from a 3G.

Now, the 3G to 3GS was a pittance upgrade, not worth the extra money. (Same design and everything)

The iPhone 4 is the first real upgrade.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

OP, sounds like you've made your choice, and it's a fine one. $100 less and the lower eft are nice. Personally, I agree with some of your points and not others, so I'm not decided yet. But if you're happy with your 3gs, stick with it. It's a great phone today and will be a great phone come the 24th.

The one caveat I'll give you is this - each year, the 2-years-ago model doesn't get the full software upgrade. The 2G didn't get MMS or stereo bluetooth, and the 3G is not getting multitasking. It's a pretty reasonable bet that come iOS 5, the 3GS will miss out on something that iphone 4 gets.

23. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Since you are on the fence, I would go to an Apple store and see one for yourself. Bring your phone with you to notice the difference. I would not set anything in stone unless you did this first.

24. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Were you planning on leaving AT&T anytime soon orbecause your profit margin was trimmed due to the new rule?

The value will sells so high and stay that way for a while for an iphone 4 so why not just do it if your having doubts about one. Even considering the high ETF your still getting about $600 - 800 buck or more for it so you can pay the ETF, pay your bill, and still profit.

The 3G to 3GS upgrade wasn't enough for me to justify at the time but I still did it and never regretted it. I enjoyed the speed, the little camcorder which was pretty decent for my needs, and the value was high and stayed there. The iPhone 4 jumps all over the 3GS and i'm a tech junkie at heart.

25. gdlcjr macrumors regular

I don't get it. Why you need to ask if you know the answer