Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Then get a flip phone, the iPhone clearly isn't for you.

Makes no sense. If you haven't upgraded in 3 years you should have gotten the discount for the 3GS last year, if not earlier. (Assuming your with AT&T)

WTF? :D

I forget exactly when i upgraded, but I remember when the next model came out i couldn't get the discount.
(love to get defensive about phone plans) :D

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Oh. My. Gosh!

What kind of answers did you expect on a Mac forum. First of all, anyone on a forum is a geek at heart. Myself included. Second, a MAC forum.. AKA.. Geeks who like Apple. Gee, lemme think...

The first iphone I owned was the 3G. I was amazed by it over and over again.
The GS made all the reasons I jailbroke my 3G go away and never did, or will again. So the GS was a reasonable upgrade for me.

Now, the i4..Firstly, I can say that running the new OS on the GS will make the GS much better. HOWEVER..Asking a site which Ive established is in love with Apple, and newness, proven by the very nature of taking time to post on a Apple forum, is crazy.

This isn't life insurance. It's a phone. The best freaking phone on the planet. Buy and enjoy, or dont and stay content. I would never ask you for validation on a tech product. Especially since no one here has used it.

Blonde Buddhist

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Again fail to see that the front facing camera has an open api with it. We'll see iChat within a month of release. Again, naming extra devices to accomplish what the iPhone 4 does in one, at a much cheaper price might I add.

OMG, an open API on a VGA quality camera. Gets me all warm inside. Again, tell me when it's available and able to be used with other non iphone 4 phones and when it doesn't require wifi network to work. Real world, if I'm on business travel at a hotel and want to say goodnight to my kids, guess what, I'll log onto my company laptop that I need for business anyway and turn on it's built in camera and use the hotels wifi or better yet, Ethernet and get much better quality video streams. Been doing that for several years. This update isn't providing me any betterment there yet nor in quality on the other end as they will be seeing me in stunning VGA thanks to the front facing cameras limitation. When I'm traveling with my sales reps and in the passenger seat and can video conference live with my boss while he's on his computer at the office or on his Droid or Blackberry, I'll see some value in it all. Until then, it's just a cool feature for kids to play with while in study hall.

Doing multiple tasks mentioned at a price savings is valid, but then with that savings come very limited quality. No thanks. That's called low value. I won't trade quality for price and convenience. Not when it comes to photos or video of family and events that warrant carrying the right device. If I'm going to pay to "upgrade" I expect and upgrade, not just cool features. Cool, but no deal maker.

You're again marginalizing by comparing the iPhone to a dedicated standard. How good is your P&S at making calls? What kind of 3G coverage does you video cam get? You could do that to any device but in reality, its just making excuses.

What's wrong with comparing the iPhone 4 and your prized updates to dedicated devices? Afterall, that's what you're touting....it's as good or better....why? because it's all in one device? where's the value in that? tell me about value when it can truly replace a device. Otherwise, I have more than one pocket and would much rather carry the best quality device for the task at hand. Heck, cost / value wise, I'm way better off with my slim design P&S from Panasonic camera that shoots HD video too. With much better dynamic range, nearly 4x the resolution, huge optical zoom, a real flash and built in Image Stabilization. I can it in my shirt pocket.

I don't need a still camera to be connected to cell network...I need it to take better pics than my 9 year old P&S. I don't need a video camera on a soon to be updated 3G network to do that either. I need it to give great quality video of my kids at their church recitals with the ability to have optical zoom.

Still sounds like a 3Gs with the new Free OS Update with Skype is the best deal to be had. Take the money for the iPhone 4 upgrade and go buy a real camera that shoots much better HD video and call it a day.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I'm not having a bit of trouble justifying the upgrade.

I bought a 16 GB iPhone 3G about a year and a half ago. Skipped the 3GS, because it wasn't enough of an improvement, plus I wasn't eligible for the upgrade price.

Now, I can sell my current phone for around $300, jailbroken and unlocked.

Total cost of my new iPhone 4 with 32GB instead of 16GB?

Around $40 for tax and upgrade fee.

Can't beat it at that price. When else can you get Apple's latest and greatest product for $40???

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Honestly, I don't really know a single person who is NOT upgrading including several 3GS buyers from several months ago.

I think everyone is excited about the internal upgrades, facetime, etc....

I did not get a 3GS b/c I didn't feel the upgrades were THAT big but now I sure do

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
OMG, an open API on a VGA quality camera. Gets me all warm inside. Again, tell me when it's available and able to be used with other non iphone 4 phones and when it doesn't require wifi network to work. Real world, if I'm on business travel at a hotel and want to say goodnight to my kids, guess what, I'll log onto my company laptop that I need for business anyway and turn on it's built in camera and use the hotels wifi or better yet, Ethernet and get much better quality video streams. Been doing that for several years. This update isn't providing me any betterment there yet nor in quality on the other end as they will be seeing me in stunning VGA thanks to the front facing cameras limitation. When I'm traveling with my sales reps and in the passenger seat and can video conference live with my boss while he's on his computer at the office or on his Droid or Blackberry, I'll see some value in it all. Until then, it's just a cool feature for kids to play with while in study hall.

Doing multiple tasks mentioned at a price savings is valid, but then with that savings come very limited quality. No thanks. That's called low value. I won't trade quality for price and convenience. Not when it comes to photos or video of family and events that warrant carrying the right device. If I'm going to pay to "upgrade" I expect and upgrade, not just cool features. Cool, but no deal maker.

What's wrong with comparing the iPhone 4 and your prized updates to dedicated devices? Afterall, that's what you're touting....it's as good or better....why? because it's all in one device? where's the value in that? tell me about value when it can truly replace a device. Otherwise, I have more than one pocket and would much rather carry the best quality device for the task at hand. Heck, cost / value wise, I'm way better off with my slim design P&S from Panasonic camera that shoots HD video too. With much better dynamic range, nearly 4x the resolution, huge optical zoom, a real flash and built in Image Stabilization. I can it in my shirt pocket.

I don't need a still camera to be connected to cell network...I need it to take better pics than my 9 year old P&S. I don't need a video camera on a soon to be updated 3G network to do that either. I need it to give great quality video of my kids at their church recitals with the ability to have optical zoom.

Still sounds like a 3Gs with the new Free OS Update with Skype is the best deal to be had. Take the money for the iPhone 4 upgrade and go buy a real camera that shoots much better HD video and call it a day.

Denying that no one will use the front camera API is naive.

I hate to tell you, but the iPhone is not the best "phone", many people struggle with signal and battery life. Anyone here will tell you that. So you're idea of "carrying around the best quality device"......rather hypocritical.

What it is, is a fantastic all-in-one device, which you're trying to compare to dedicated standards. You see the flaw in your argument, don't you?

Again, comparing the iPhone to dedicated devices is simply an exaggeration, a poor argument at best. To "justify/not justify the upgrade" you need to compare it to the 3GS and other direct competitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.