Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
You know you're spending too much time on MacRumors when you see somebody say something like that and think "I thought he had that band already..."
You know you're spending WAY too much time thinking about your AW when you have a very clear dream about finally getting the link bracelet for your own.

(this happened to me two nights ago.. LOL)

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
You know you're spending WAY too much time thinking about your AW when you have a very clear dream about finally getting the link bracelet for your own.

(this happened to me two nights ago.. LOL)

It's meant to be. Makes it much more easier letting for of the $400 knowing this.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
It's meant to be. Makes it much more easier letting for of the $400 knowing this.
What I think pushed me was when I tried to wear my other watches, which are all on bracelets, for a few consecutive days a week ago.

I missed the AW, but when I wore it again, and despite always enjoying the Sport strap, I missed the ease and security of the bracelets.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
What I think pushed me was when I tried to wear my other watches, which are all on bracelets, for a few consecutive days a week ago.

I missed the AW, but when I wore it again, and despite always enjoying the Sport strap, I missed the ease and security of the bracelets.

Do you have any other bands? Bracelet sounds like it would be best for you, but I also enjoy some of the nice leather ones I have.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
No others for my AW, at least not yet. My wife and I agreed that I won't buy more until I get my next job.

I'd get the brown and black classic buckles and link bracelet, and that'd be plenty good for anything.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
No others for my AW, at least not yet. My wife and I agreed that I won't buy more until I get my next job.

I'd get the brown and black classic buckles and link bracelet, and that'd be plenty good for anything.

I've got so many straps now. I've really got no desire to wear ones other than the more expensive ones I bought, just because they're nicer. A friend has been asking me regularly to sell some to him. Think I'm going to do that.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
I just got my 42mm Apple Watch and I'm still in the daze phase but I'm finding so many useful tools it provides a great timer keeps me in my toes with my breaks and lunches for work make sure I'm back for my clients. Love being able to make phone calls from my watch looks goofy at first but it's nice not having to pull my phone out to call or text my other half or friends or clients. I can understand why so many are over it and no longer care for the device but I think it's vet useful to a lot of people.

Reactions: silvetti

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
How often did you sit and appreciate how much of a good job your old watch was doing?

Or after you'd seen every hour displayed did it get a bit boring?
An old post but somebody who is into watches never gets bored of looking at them. I get loads of enjoyment staring at my mechanical watches on my wrist, watching the second hand glide from second to second.

Smart watch lovers will not get this as they can't understand the purpose of not having a watch that has dozens of uses. That's not necessarily a bad thing as both types have their market. After viewing Bazel this last couple of weeks, the traditional watch industry is booming and that's encouraging.

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I think Apple made two mistakes with regards to the watch.

The first mistake was that it was sold as more of a fashion device rather than a smart watch. Apple focused more on style rather than function. No offence but there's no chance in hell I would spend that amount of money to buy the most expensive Watch. I'm not judging anyone who did, far from it, but from a business point of view it is clear that they are not the majority. Apple is a mobile devices company, or so had Steve Jobs described it when the first ipad came out.

Also, (Apple's) history has taught us that the second iteration of any device was always a real success. I think that waiting more than one year to release the second iteration of the watch is far from being a good idea. (This is, of course, assuming that they actually have something to show)

I am very interested in purchasing the device, as I see a practical use for it (I bike a lot, and having maps on the watch would be really cool for me.) However, at this stage, given the watch's performance especially considering its price, is really not worth the investment.

I have decided that I will wait the next Watch release before committing my self to purchase.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
I do understand what it can do, but still prefer my Swiss mechanical watches. I will not be disappointed, because I will never buy it. People are already wanting to replace it with version 2. I just add a new watch for a change in style and still wear watches several years old AND never needed to replace a battery or worry about rain.
So your logic behind buying watches is the same logic as buying any other useless piece of jewelry. You will never understand anyone that is trying to buy it not only because it looks nice and modern, but also to take something useful out of it. Similar to buy an useful 911 Vs buying an useless Pagani.

Fine.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Slow app loading has been the biggest disappointment for me - I rarely use apps because of it. But the Apple Watch's other functions have been well worth it. At work, it's very helpful to be able to see the time and place of my next appointment at a glance, or receive texts and emails without touching my phone.

Reactions: macaximx

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
I've had three Apple Watches now, and there's been a reasoning behind it.

The first was a 38mm space gray, bought a bit after launch. I liked it, got decent use out of it, and lost about 15lbs thanks to the activity monitoring.
My issue with it was that the 38mm was just too small, and that not only made using it a little more difficult, but meant weaker battery life. I ended up selling it.

The second was a 42mm space gray. I was a lot happier with it overall, but something was still missing. It worked better for me, but still really just felt like a gadget rather than a quality timepiece. I got an offer from someone that wanted to buy it and the 3rd party link band I was using on it, and took it.

After finding the right size but then selling it, I found myself really missing the watch. With the most recent round of sales I grabbed a stainless 42mm and couldn't be happier. It feels high quality, while also giving me the function that I really wanted.

In my opinion there's a sweet spot in the model lineup for most that find the watch interesting. It's not an entertainment device, nor is it a necessity. It's a fashion accessory with a lot of extra functionality, and if you go into it with that as your expectation, you're not going to be disappointed. I feel like a try-on appointment would help most to decide if it's for them, and what model would suit them best.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think Apple made two mistakes with regards to the watch.

The first mistake was that it was sold as more of a fashion device rather than a smart watch. Apple focused more on style rather than function. No offence but there's no chance in hell I would spend that amount of money to buy the most expensive Watch. I'm not judging anyone who did, far from it, but from a business point of view it is clear that they are not the majority. Apple is a mobile devices company, or so had Steve Jobs described it when the first ipad came out.

I think the fashion angle was incredibly smart of Apple, but the Edition might have been too much too soon. Apple caught a lot of flak for selling the super expensive Edition. Perhaps they should have waited until v.2 for that one. As for the rest of the watch and band lineup, the fashionable options are part of the appeal. A lot of people have no interest in wearing a fully synthetic smartwatch that looks more like a rugged outdoor watch or a fitness band. I'd bet there are quite a few Apple Watch owners who would have passed if they could not choose from a variety of finishes and watch band styles. The ease of swapping bands, and the fact that so many third party bands are available, has surely helped drive adoption. Just look through this thread: Some of us can't agree on whether the Classic Buckle looks better with stitched leather or plain leather... this is why so many finish and band options are important. It's not an either or thing when it comes to the question of whether the Apple Watch is a fashion accessory or a mobile device. It's both.

I don't think Apple sacrificed function to focus on style either. The functionality of this watch was mostly very well thought out from the beginning. It was probably released a few months early, because the OS updates dramatically improved performance and smoothed out the bumps.

Also, (Apple's) history has taught us that the second iteration of any device was always a real success. I think that waiting more than one year to release the second iteration of the watch is far from being a good idea. (This is, of course, assuming that they actually have something to show)

I am very interested in purchasing the device, as I see a practical use for it (I bike a lot, and having maps on the watch would be really cool for me.) However, at this stage, given the watch's performance especially considering its price, is really not worth the investment.

I have decided that I will wait the next Watch release before committing my self to purchase.

Of course the next generation watch will be better, but personally I feel the current model is so good that I certainly wouldn't want to give mine up. Even with Watch OS 1 the conveniences far outweighed the frustrations for me. Now the frustrations are very few and far between. I'm constantly impressed by how well it works. I bike a lot as well (not racing or mountain biking like I used to, but mostly commuting and fast recreational over a variety of surfaces). Between the watch and the iPhone you can get some really detailed ride metrics with an app like Strava, but that's overkill for my purposes. I just use the activity rings and occasionally workout app. I will only use Strava or Runtastic when I want a detailed map of my ride with elevation gained. Of course those apps could provide that without the watch, but would be missing your heart rate metrics. What's kind of cool though is I can glance at my watch to see distance, speed, etc. I don't use a cyclometer anymore, so that's kind of handy. What I like most about the watch and biking is that I can glance at a notification or a text from my wife without having to stop and get my iphone out of the bag or my pocket. The maps are of course handy as well, and the turn based directions (via haptic feedback) work really well.

Sean
[doublepost=1459016166][/doublepost]
Slow app loading has been the biggest disappointment for me - I rarely use apps because of it. But the Apple Watch's other functions have been well worth it. At work, it's very helpful to be able to see the time and place of my next appointment at a glance, or receive texts and emails without touching my phone.

In my experience the slow app loading hasn't been an issue for months. If it's still a problem, time to try a different app. Even among the apps that run natively, some are faster than others. I use complications for Fantastical calendar (loading data from 3 Google calendars and one Office 365 calendar) , it loads and refreshes very quickly. Same with my complication for Carrot Weather. With this latest OS update, the watch feels even snappier. It's definitely faster for me to get the info from my watch than from my iphone. By the time I get my iphone out, unlock it, and load the calendar app or widget, I will have already gotten the calendar info, weather forecast, and map showing the location of my appointment from the watch :D

Last edited:

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
So your logic behind buying watches is the same logic as buying any other useless piece of jewelry. You will never understand anyone that is trying to buy it not only because it looks nice and modern, but also to take something useful out of it. Similar to buy an useful 911 Vs buying an useless Pagani.

Fine.

It just does not interest me. People are different. My Swiss watches serve their purpose for me just as an Apple watch serves a purpose for others. My Swiss watches will maintain much of their value over time. The Apple watch will not just like any other electronic device. Some people like me prefer a 4wd truck over a useless 911. I can haul Firewood and lawn equipment in it and it is great in the snow. To each is their own.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I'm beginning to feel the same way. If all the Apple Watch ends up being useful for is fitness tracking and notifications, I'd almost rather just have a Fitbit. I've been trying out the new Fitbit Alta to see if it fits my needs.

It has been nice to wear my Seamaster again.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Fine.
This just goes to show you have absolutely no idea about the watch industry. Useless pieces of jewellery? Come on now, watches always have and always will be a personal taste. It doesn't have to answer emails to be classed as useful. It's also absolutely ok to get enjoyment from the craftsmanship and design. You are free to enjoy your Apple Watch.

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Of course the next generation watch will be better, but personally I feel the current model is so good that I certainly wouldn't want to give mine up. Even with Watch OS 1 the conveniences far outweighed the frustrations for me. Now the frustrations are very few and far between. I'm constantly impressed by how well it works. I bike a lot as well (not racing or mountain biking like I used to, but mostly commuting and fast recreational over a variety of surfaces). Between the watch and the iPhone you can get some really detailed ride metrics with an app like Strava, but that's overkill for my purposes. I just use the activity rings and occasionally workout app. I will only use Strava or Runtastic when I want a detailed map of my ride with elevation gained. Of course those apps could provide that without the watch, but would be missing your heart rate metrics. What's kind of cool though is I can glance at my watch to see distance, speed, etc. I don't use a cyclometer anymore, so that's kind of handy. What I like most about the watch and biking is that I can glance at a notification or a text from my wife without having to stop and get my iphone out of the bag or my pocket. The maps are of course handy as well, and the turn based directions (via haptic feedback) work really well.

Thanks very much for this insight, its really interesting. in your experience, what was the feature however, that you find most useful, that shows how useful to you the watch really is?

I was really dead set on getting the watch but now I decided to wait until the second version. i hope i made a good choice.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
In my experience the slow app loading hasn't been an issue for months. If it's still a problem, time to try a different app. Even among the apps that run natively, some are faster than others. I use complications for Fantastical calendar (loading data from 3 Google calendars and one Office 365 calendar) , it loads and refreshes very quickly. Same with my complication for Carrot Weather. With this latest OS update, the watch feels even snappier. It's definitely faster for me to get the info from my watch than from my iphone. By the time I get my iphone out, unlock it, and load the calendar app or widget, I will have already gotten the calendar info, weather forecast, and map showing the location of my appointment from the watch :D

I agree. I use Apple and third-party complications as well - the information is always there without any action on my part other than moving my wrist or touching the watch to activate the display. These, and notifications about texts and emails that I can view with little interaction, make the Apple Watch worth it for me. Apple Pay is also something I use whenever I visit a retailer that accepts it. But I still shy away from running native apps that require me to go to the app screen.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I agree for the most part. They really need to get away from pushing it as an app platform. It does seem that they have moved more in that direction in their advertising.

As many popular blogs have pointed out, it really needs to narrow down its focus. Do a few things really well and not a lot of things with mediocrity. Even if the hardware advances, which it will, it still needs to focus on things that are actually useful to have on a watch.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
So, should it replace the phone (as some people want) or do less than it does now (as other people want)?

Damned if ya do, damned if ya do…

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Tough balancing act. The only solution to it, in my opinion, is sticking to what the hardware is capable of doing reliably and well. I saw an article comparing smartwatches to PDAs. That article summed up a good many of my feelings well.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Tough balancing act. The only solution to it, in my opinion, is sticking to what the hardware is capable of doing reliably and well.
Either that, or let the users ultimately figure it out and configure it themselves.

We already do this, too -- our Watch icon screens and complication choices vary from person to person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.