Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks very much for this insight, its really interesting. in your experience, what was the feature however, that you find most useful, that shows how useful to you the watch really is?

I was really dead set on getting the watch but now I decided to wait until the second version. i hope i made a good choice.

There is not one killer feature, but rather lots of little conveniences that add up throughout the day. If I had to pick one thing I'd say silent notifications. Yes there are some fitness bands that offer notifications, but the Apple Watch let's you do a lot more with notifications. I never have to remember to silence my iphone, and I don't miss calls, texts and other notifications I might have missed when my iphone was silent (or even when it wasn't silenced, but I was in a noisy place where I couldn't hear it). I also like how the watch lets me keep my iphone put away most of the time. I'm not as distracted by my iphone because I don't get it out as frequently.

There are lots of little things I didn't expect to like as much as I do: being able to look at my watch to see what music is playing when my iphone is docked to the speakers in the next room, Siri on the watch is awesome, Apple Pay is convenient, etc.

Sean

Reactions: ladytonya

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I just think that you end up with a more mediocre product this way. I think simplicity and usability is really important. Complicated is easy. Simple is hard.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I agree for the most part. They really need to get away from pushing it as an app platform. It does seem that they have moved more in that direction in their advertising.

As many popular blogs have pointed out, it really needs to narrow down its focus. Do a few things really well and not a lot of things with mediocrity. Even if the hardware advances, which it will, it still needs to focus on things that are actually useful to have on a watch.

I don't think of the watch as an app platform. The iPhone is the app platform, and the watch is an extension of the iPhone. While there are a few apps that were developed from the ground up with the watch in mind, most are iphone apps that offer companion apps for the watch... and in some cases a glance and/or a complication. If you couldn't install and extend third party apps to the watch, I doubt I would have bought the Apple Watch. Maybe I would have, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy with it. That said I only use about five apps on the watch regularly, but there are easily another five I am glad the watch can run when I need them. All of these are apps I find are definitely useful to have on the watch. This is one of the big advantages the Apple Watch has over other smartwatches that offer more limited degrees of iphone integration. That said there are certainly apps available for the watch that I don't find to be as useful, but someone else might.

Any product this ambitious will generate some disagreement over what it should be or how it could be improved. After eight months of wearing one I have far more good things to say about it than not so good.

Sean

Reactions: Laserducky

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just think that you end up with a more mediocre product this way. I think simplicity and usability is really important. Complicated is easy. Simple is hard.

You make it sound like the AW is mediocre at many tasks. They could have crippled the AW just like the original iPhone by disallowing 3rd party apps because they're not up to snuff but developers have to start somewhere and you can't compare it to iPhone or iPad with well-developed 3rd party apps.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I guess that's true. I'm just used to things responding immediately on my iPhone 6S. I suppose the Apple Watch is just a 1st generation product. I hope they really nail the next generation.

TVDinner

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I use mine a lot and especially traveling so much for work. Even use for my plane tickets.

But the MAIN REASON some people are getting bored in my humble opinion is the simple LACK of custom watch faces / dials like the Android watches have. It makes me nuts to see my friends with their Moto 360 and 10000 watch faces / realistic dials from Intellicom Watchface app and others. Makes me CRAZY.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But the MAIN REASON some people are getting bored in my humble opinion is the simple LACK of custom watch faces / dials like the Android watches have. It makes me nuts to see my friends with their Moto 360 and 10000 watch faces / realistic dials from Intellicom Watchface app and others. Makes me CRAZY.

I seriously doubt it as people have managed to do just fine with conventional watches with non-changable faces (how did they survive?). Rather, they approach the AW with the wrong expectation like expecting it to keep them engaged. It's not supposed to do that. Really no different from all those "I'm bored with my [insert iDevice here]" threads as a result of treating it as a hobby/form of entertainment.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
A few months ago I started to get this feeling too: that the Apple Watch isn't as 'jaw-breaking' anymore as it was on the first day I got it. In fact, the last few months I just wore the watch 'because I had too'. At least, that is how it felt to me. In the beginning I wore it because I loved it so much; I wanted to wear it every single day and every moment of the day. But all of that started to go away after some time.

It's funny how this has changed radically after I switched to a new band just a few days ago. I went from the White Sport Band (which it came with originally) to the Saddle Brown with Classic Buckle. My Apple Watch now kinds feels like an entire new watch. I love wearing it again. So turns out all it needed was a new look. And the best way to accomplish that is by giving it a new band.

May sound a little overreactive, but somehow changing the band really is the way to love your Apple Watch again. For me it is at least. Does not mean I'll be switching bands every few months from now on, but it is definitely something to think about when it starts to lose its novelty again.

Anyway, it is not only that of course. It's also the software that needs improvement. In terms of performance and in terms of customization. I like the watch faces that are available now, but there's not a lot of choice. I'd love to see third party faces, or at least just a lot more ones designed by Apple. The moment a binary watch face comes out I'll be using that! :p

Really hope watchOS 3 brings improvements across the board, and more flexibility in terms of customization. And being able to use more features without the necessity of an iPhone would also be a great addition. If Apple makes all of that possible, I'm pretty sure the Apple Watch will become even more interesting to a lot more people. :)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I seriously doubt it as people have managed to do just fine with conventional watches with non-changable faces (how did they survive?). Rather, they approach the AW with the wrong expectation like expecting it to keep them engaged. It's not supposed to do that. Really no different from all those "I'm bored with my [insert iDevice here]" threads as a result of treating it as a hobby/form of entertainment.

I don't even use all of the watch faces that are already available! Still, I totally understand why people want more watch faces...or the ability to further customize or build their own watch faces with full complication support. It's nice to be able to use your own photos for a watch face, but frustrating that you can't add complications. Even if more complications were available I would probably still stick with the same ones I currently use most of the time.

I agree that the point of the watch is not to keep you engaged. It's to provide the information you need at a glance. If you want to be engaged with a gadget, the iPhone is much more inviting for extended interactions. Having said that there is a small entertainment aspect to the Apple Watch: It can be fun to play with when you have a few minutes to kill. The Motion faces are mesmerizing and my kids love them. It's also fun to use a photo of my choice for the background from time to time. When I am working I stick to the high-information faces that offer complications. At home I often switch to a fun face like Motion. Still, if I want to be entertained for more than a minute I will get out my iPhone.

Sean

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Two people I know have apparently lost interest as they are offering their Apple Watches for sale through Facebook. One is asking £200 and the other £180. I asked my mate Ian who is one of them and he said lack of interesting apps and the chore of charging it as he often forgets. The novelty has worn off.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Not me. Just the convenience of looking at notifications without taking my phone out of my pocket makes it worth it for me. On top of that the workout and activity rings motivate me to stay active.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Not me. Just the convenience of looking at notifications without taking my phone out of my pocket makes it worth it for me. On top of that the workout and activity rings motivate me to stay active.

Completely agree..... I was guilty of being on my phone too much..... Checking a notification would lead me into browsing an app, checking mail, browsing another app, and so on..... With the watch, I'm finding that my phone stays in my pocket 90% more, and the battery lasts for days..... I was totally against the watch at first..... Now, I'm not sure I could go without. It's just too convenient. Making/receiving phone calls on it is redundant though. I dig feeling like a spy talking into it and all, but if I have to hold it up I might as well be on the phone itself. I dig being able to watch or view a video sent via text, and after you set up custom replies it just saves so much time. One thing I haven't figured out or wish they would implement is being able to play music directly from the watch.... I mean it has audio.... But it asks for a Bluetooth speaker when attempting to play music stored on it..... I wouldn't mind being able to listen to a song or 2 directly from the watch.....

Reactions: Uofmtiger

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I can't believe I'm saying this but I've grown bored with it. It was a fun toy at first but I am realizing that I really don't get much out of it. I knew going in to it that I didn't "need" it. But it's just become very yawn-inducing. The only time I really enjoy it is using Apple Pay with it and watching the clerk's amazement when I do! That part is fun but wouldn't be diminished a lot of I was paying with my phone instead.

Fortunately I got my stainless steel 42mm for a good price and even have both the black sport band and the Apple Milanese loop that I think I'll list on eBay and see what I can get for it.btheyre on near perfect condition and I've got the original box and even a charging stand that I'll likely include in the deal.

I'm glad I had one but I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I've "scratched that itch" and it's time to move on.

Timex here I come!:)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I can't believe I'm saying this but I've grown bored with it. It was a fun toy at first but I am realizing that I really don't get much out of it. I knew going in to it that I didn't "need" it. But it's just become very yawn-inducing. The only time I really enjoy it is using Apple Pay with it and watching the clerk's amazement when I do! That part is fun but wouldn't be diminished a lot of I was paying with my phone instead.
Timex here I come!:)

The AW isn't supposed to be an entertainment device. You interact with it only when necessary, i.e., when you get a notification and the like. Really no different from checking the time when necessary on the Timex.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014

I disagree on the watch faces. I personally think there are not enough faces for the AW, and my complaint often gets dismissed because "conventional watches only have one face." True, but it's very wrong to compare the AW to a conventional watch. One of the main purposes of the AW is that it *can* change faces. The Apple Watch has quite literally endless possibilities in terms of watch faces. We have the ability to change the face on a whim, the ability to download new stuff to the watch, and lots of opportunities for customization. So why not have the ability to have a virtually limitless selection of faces to choose from? Just because traditional watches can't change faces doesn't mean that having a lackluster amount of faces on the AW is acceptable.

I do agree on your second point though. A lot of people that feel "disappointed" or "bored" with the Apple Watch are viewing it in the wrong way, imo. It's not meant to be something that you actively "play with", but rather an extension of the iPhone that keeps you in the loop and makes your life more convenient.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My mate sold his because he felt once he'd got over the fact it's a touchscreen watch, he found he was only using it as a watch. Texts came in and he'd read them on the watch and respond on his phone.

I think some people love them as demonstrated on this forum and others see them as a fun gadget that has limited appeal. A work colleague of mine has a Samsung watch and loves it to the point he will probably always have a smart watch. They have their market.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
NOPE! as a matter of fact.... I LOVE my watch so much, that if something happened to it and I had to wait for apple to send me a replacement.... I'd be driving to the apple store to buy one to wear until my replacement got here!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my apple watch!

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I'm not surprised at the mix of responses on this thread. The Apple Watch never struck me as a device that would appeal to everyone, but of course you might not know whether or not it's for you until you try it. Many of us had been waiting for a smartwatch from Apple. Others have tried it mostly because it's a new category of device from one of the biggest names in technology. Apple has a history of creating devices we never knew we wanted, or needed, until we tried them.

I'm one of those people who has wanted a smartwatch for a long time, even though I was not a watch wearer. I wanted a watch that could do all of the things the Apple Watch can do (the Apple Watch actually does more than I had in mind), so I'm not surprised that after eight months it's still one of my favorite technology purchases ever. Last July I bought an Apple Watch with the excitement and hope that it would at least be a decent first attempt at living up to my expectations. It actually exceeded my expectations, despite some early performance issues and frustrations that have mostly been smoothed out by OS and app updates. When you're excited about the possibilities of a new technology, you're more willing to put up with a few early adopter problems. Those who were not as excited about the Apple Watch, other than it being another gadget to try, are going to be more discouraged by early adopter issues. They are also less likely to find reasons to keep and use it. Maybe it doesn't provide as many benefits for them as it does for others.

For me the watch improved a lot of things that annoyed me about carrying and using a smartphone. It also added a lot of conveniences that I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I do. My iPhone is better for entertainment, but the watch is better at delivering timely information without getting in my way.

Sean

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
The AW isn't supposed to be an entertainment device. You interact with it only when necessary, i.e., when you get a notification and the like. Really no different from checking the time when necessary on the Timex.
I realize that and that's the reason I held off on purchasing one at launch. I only have it now as I got it from a friend who loves his $3,000 watches and missed wearing those so he sold me $750 worth of watch/bands for $300. :)

I love tech and I love Apple. If I had a job that lent itself to needing instant and discrete communications it would be the perfect companion to the phone. Fortunately I don't so it's just an expensive toy for me. And one that I feel I can live without.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I'm a newbie and never wear watches even, but I like tech and Apple and for the lower used price I dove in. The activity app may not be the best but it helps me focus on my exercise; I already have gotten some texts and emails that were timely and I would have missed just relying on having the phone out. It def shows it's a 1G first attempt but in the used price range well worth checking out. Mine has 9mo warr left at about half new price. I think this was Jonny Ives love of watches, er, fine time pieces, pet project more than anything else, but the fashion and high-end watch world smiled politely and checked their watches...

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
It's mostly cosmetics. The silver aluminum Sport I don't like, looks cheap. I like the Sport Space Gray, I like the Stainless silver a lot, but too scratch prone. I like the Stainless Space Black. We have 2 now, a Space Black and a Space Gray...

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
So your logic behind buying watches is the same logic as buying any other useless piece of jewelry. You will never understand anyone that is trying to buy it not only because it looks nice and modern, but also to take something useful out of it. Similar to buy an useful 911 Vs buying an useless Pagani.

Fine.
Those who call Jewelry "useless" are largely people who cannot afford or appreciate style.

"Useful" being cited as an important consideration is yet again a value judgment of those who cannot easily afford the purchase.

Highly educated, very wealthy individuals live in a world with much broader choices, far more experiences and a wide array of products goods and services. A world that cannot possibly be understood by those of less means. That's not a judgment or criticism, it's simply sheer facts.

The 2015 Pagani Zonda R is a mind boggling hyper fast ethereal experience.

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Wow, did I just read that? There are a lot of wealthy people who are not highly educated and poor people with education. I hate people who flash expensive jewelry to show off, while the poor laborers and criminal elements dig in the mines and sell the rocks so some people can attempt to flash their 'wealth'. ugh. but what do I know, I can't understand a world of unlimited resources and 'taste' by number$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.