Anyone else return their verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GT NFR, Feb 12, 2011.

1. GT NFR macrumors newbie

Former verizon Droid owner here. Recently purchased the verizon iphone and after 4 days of use I decided to return the phone based on the following observations.

1)Antenna issue. I noticed this the first day I was using the phone. At my office, I always had slow 3G service on my Droid because of the location. However, with the iPhone, my data service cuts in and out without me even touching it. And once I pick it up with my left hand, data pretty much cuts out completely. This is a big deal for me as i spend 8+ hours each day at work.

There is also the same signal attenuation issue if you grasp it like the AT&T iPhone. And NO, this should not be expected as Apple had every opportunity to redesign the antenna since they had to use a CDMA antenna. This is simply poor engineering on Apples part and should not be rewarded.

2)Battery life - I believe this had to do with me being at my office. My droid had good reception on data as well as voice. But I noticed that the iPhone struggled to juggle both throughout the day as it continues to search for 3G and voice connections, my phone literally goes from 99% to 40% by 2pm each day I've been at work. This is with minimal use, no push notifications/data, and I tell the phone to pull email every hour. This is pretty terrible to ME, as I've been using my Droid with extended battery and get 36hrs of heavy use easily.

3)Notifications - This was something that was rather surprising to me. I thought that surely Apple would have placed some sort of visual notification scheme for email or messages on the phone as I keep the phone on silent through the day. However, the only way I even noticed that I have emails or messages is if a pop on the phone every so often. Compared to the Droid, I received various LED notifications the would signify email, SMS, or missed call.

4)iPhone 5 - I was pretty ready to let go of the Droid as I always felt that the Android OS was a compromise to me as I was stuck on Verizon and every other computing device I own is Apple. I also felt the Android OS was clumsy, not as intuitive, and most importantly, it just lacked the "Snappy" response that iPhones had. This was the reason I was so ready to jump on the iPhone 4 bandwagon. After my 4 days with the iPhone 4, I've realized that it was never an upgrade...more of a lateral movement and a slight step up.

I guess I will see whats in store for Verizon come this June. If Verizon does not receive the iPhone 5 by then, iOS might never happen as I do believe Android is catching up with each new release.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How hard did you have to grab it to make the service go down? Did your knucles turn white? :D

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Glad to hear you returned a phone you didn't like and will be getting the one you do like in the future. Thank you for letting us know bye bye :)

4. snakelda macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Coming from the droid too and the notification system is a little wack in the iphone.

5. GT NFR thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I held it as I normally would to check my email.

Btw, I love the level of maturity and Apple Fanboy-ness on this forum based on the first two replies.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Not a fanboy. Everyone knows its a non issue that was completely overblown. The other issues that you stated all make sense. Droid and iOS have advantages and disadvantages. "Antennagate" is really not something worth returning the phone over.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have come to realize that there are a bunch of kids in this forum so you shouldnt expect much maturity.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

1. My wife and I had an issue with the antennas when we first got our iPhones in June. A case solves the problem with the signal dropping when you hold it.

2. I find the battery life to be good. Obviously, it depends on individual usage.

3. Sorry, OP but this is a very much talked about complaint about iOS. You should have done your homework.

End result, is that if the iPhone doesn't meet your needs or expectations then you were smart to get rid of it. The Thunderbolt looks pretty impressive.:D

9. GT NFR thread starter macrumors newbie

Its funny because I told the same thing when I discussed with my co-workers that I was getting the iPhone 4. and honestly, at my Apt where I had much better signal it was fine...no problems with the antenna what so ever. i had to cusp the phone to get it to drop two bars.

However, it was the combination of poor reception at my office that makes this issue much more pronounced and an annoyance, and to be tied into a 2-year contract where I have to put up with this everyday was just not going to cut it. In the end, for MY situation it was better to have my old Droid back since it seems to get better reception at my office.

10. aluren macrumors 65816

The antenna should be the main reason one returns the phone... A phone that can't make phone calls is like a car that doesn't move. I really like the OP's perspective because it let us know that Verizon can suck just as much as AT&T. Glad you at least gave the iPhone a shot.

11. landscapeman macrumors regular

I have pondered returning my iPhone before UPS delivered it. I am impressed, but I am also a former Crackberry user. I have also noticed the signal drop in landscape. It no longer happens after putting a case on it. I am still on the fence and hope the HTC Thunderbolt get released before Apple 30 day return passes. I just dont want any buyers remorse.

12. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

Just Curious

When I read your post one question immediately came to mind. What kind of a job do you have where you go to work in an office and stay on your smartphone all day?

Don't you have a landline phone? A computer?

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

But using the excuse of "My fleshly palm blocks signal" is not worth it because you'd be doing it with every single phone.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You have to do what is best for you, so you shouldn't get flack if the iPhone 4 didn't work for you as you thought it would.

However, I'll have to agree with a previous poster about the notification system (though I understand that wasn't the deciding factor in returning the phone). It's been the same from the beginning. Hard to understand how it would be a surprise.

15. GT NFR thread starter macrumors newbie

I have both a landline and a computer. I would prefer not to use my desk phone and company computer for personal matters

16. GT NFR thread starter macrumors newbie

I do agree with you, and I have tried to get my Droid to drop bars and it takes both hands tightly clasped around the phone...vs the iPhone where I simply picked it up to check email.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If all you were doing was checking your email, it probably has more to do with the lack of service than antennagate.

18. GT NFR thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it has to do with the lack of service.

However, I am able to get service [though slow ~0.5MB/s DL] in the EXACT same spot with the Droid as I set them on the same location in my office...same building. The difference is, I get continuous 3G with the Droid...and intermittent with the iPhone mixed in with a bit of no signal when I pick it up.

19. Vihzel macrumors 6502

There is a difference though. It's really significant with many iPhone 4s where it can actually cut out the signal. It happens with my ViPhone (I have video evidence to prove it) and no... I'm not doing some kind of death grip; I'm simply just holding it like I would hold any phone and my pinky is always on that region of the phone. I still have my Droid X and I never drop a bar and there have been no cases of it cutting the signal without having to do some kind of awkward deathgrip that no one does.

Good thing though is that my ViPhone handles the 3G signal (with a case on) better than my Droid X, which can lose the 3G signal for some odd reason even when I'm in a place where I know it's solid.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I posted about this a while back... I believe that the primary reason for iPhone issues with AT&T is not the AT&T network but the iPhone itself.

21. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

As far as the battery issue; I've noticed my (VZW) iPhone's battery life has increased greatly in the 4 days I've owned it. First day it was kind of meh, second day better and so on.

I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact that after the first few days you don't constantly play with it configuring everything. But, pretty much every cell phone I've ever had seems to hold it's charge better after a week or so.

22. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I bought the verizon ip4 on impulse but when it gets here on Monday, I'm going to return it unopened because I want to stick it out to get the Thunderbolt, a newer and more exciting phone. (I say this because it is new, rather than the iphone which is 8months old).

I'm going to get the Thunderbolt on a 1yr contract and then maybe get the iPhone 6 when it comes out next year.

23. Sysyphus macrumors newbie

I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but had been enjoying my iPod touch for a year or so, until I got my Verizon iPhone on Monday. Haven't returned it because I'm completely delighted with it...

The phone rings when people call me and dials when I call people and every conversation I've had so far has ended naturally; haven't been anywhere where I didn't know where I was going yet, but on a handful of tests the GPS kept track of where I was and pretty much suggested I drive the way I was going to go anywhere; my email arrives promptly; I've downloaded a bunch of apps both at home over wifi and out and about over 3G with no significant delay; I watched a TV show from Netflix while my wife was driving, I watched some live cricket in the bar tonight and just video-skyped my sister the other side of the Atlantic... I wrote my masters thesis a quarter century ago on computer voice recognition techniques and have been completely blown away by Dragon Dictation this week, and I can't believe that there is not some kind of voodoo magic involved in Shazzam....

If there is a better phone than this I don't need it. :D

24. MauiGideon macrumors regular

I cant say I've had android history... Because I never had one :). All of my friends have droids and usually all have problems. One of my friends just wiped his entire memory when he was trying to do something while being rooted.

I'll tell you this... If you werent happy with the iPhone, you should have jailbroken it instead of returning it. There are so many tweaks and adjustments that you could have done to enhance your phone.

But either way we'll see if there will be a new VZW iphone in july OR if there will be a iPhone Nano release... Only time will tell.

25. nStyle macrumors 65816

OP: Yesterday, I was almost in your shoes (minus the antenna problem).

I'll start by saying that I haven't had any signal issues... In fact, my phone shows more bars than my Droid X or Droid Incredible did. Call quality is excellent as well. I was very pleased by the call quality. I don't think I've ever had a better sounding call. Compare this with my Droid X: the ear speaker broke within 5 months of owning it. Call quality was seriously degraded on that phone.

I can tell the iPhone is built much better than my previous Droid phones. For that reason alone, I have decided to keep it.

Another thing that bothered me was the very limited ecosystem, even when jailbroken. It seems dumb to have to go around the app store to get some apps that Apple would never approve. Then I realized that the overall experience was much better than my Droid's.

Would my Droid's do everything that the iPhone would? Yes, and you can even add the unrestricted perks to the list if you want; however, I still know that I would choose the iPhone any day simply for the overall experience.

You see people talking about how Apple pays attention to detail. Well, I feel it is the opposite. Apple concentrates on the overall experience. Everything is so fluid and fast.

I am like you though. . .I always thought I was "limited" to Android which is probably why you and I immediately bought an iPhone upon availability. Truth be told, I could live with either phone, but I'd rather have the iPhone.

I still think it is weird that I have had no antenna issues at all, and receive as good or better signal than any phone I've ever owned.