Anyone else switching back to Apple once the iPhone 6 is released

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by bruceleroy, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bruceleroy macrumors member

bruceleroy

For me the negative experiences far out weigh the positives I've had with my galaxy s4.

2. UKapple macrumors regular

I'm torn at the moment between getting the S5 or waiting it out til the iphone 6 (currently have a 5). I just hope that the 6 is something special and not just a slightly bigger screen, 0.01mm thinner and slightly faster than the 5s cos that's starting to get a bit boring now

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with my Icon, but I wouldn't put it past me. The joy of being on the edge program with VZW, opens the door to my switching phones.

Right now on my short list there's the
    Icon which I have and I'm enjoying.
    The Note 4 - curious to see what Samsung will produce
    the iPhone 6 (only if it larger).

The thing about the iPhone 6 is, the thinness, I think the iPhone 5 was too thin and there were reports of it getting bent from people putting it in their back pocket. I'd be concerned a thinner phone would have even more flex.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Probably yes, provided it has a larger screen. Otherwise I'll just get the 5S/6C for cheaper.

I love my Moto X but there's just so much investment into the Apple ecosystem that I miss a lot, not to mention some basic functionality gripes with Android, such as no icon indicators or how the lockscreen works.

I want to make sure the battery life is strong though, since one of the main reasons I switched was because iOS 7.1 was murdering my iPhone 5's battery.

If I don't like it, I might actually jump to Windows Phone and test that out for a while.

5. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

The lack of Swype, SwipePad, 500 Firepaper, the back button and the ability to hide/uninstall unused apps will probably keep me with Android.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I will be sorely tempted to get an IP6 with a 5 inch screen! But I always get bored with iPhones after the novelty wears off. They are great phones but I just cannot customize them as you can with other platforms such as Android or WP8.

----------

yep and widgets.........

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Hopping back to the N5 reminded me how natural Android operation is. That said, I have no doubts that if iOS8 is awesome I'll bounce back to the iPhone. I'm not married to either platform.

Everything else aside, I completely forgot how completely TERRIBLE the iOS notification drawer is. It's a mess. You can't easily navigate it, notifications hang around even after you've visited the app, no persistent notifications, there's just a heap of problems.

8. Espeonia macrumors member

Espeonia

I might buy a an iPod touch or iPad mini, but I'll be sticking with my Nexus 5.

I just prefer Android for usability, I guess.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Doubtful.

I'm fairly content with my S4, it's probably the first time I've felt compelled to keep a phone longer than a year.

Big screen, good all around performance, IR blaster, removable battery (useful for those long ass days when I don't have time to stop a charge) and of course the flexibility and choice Android offers...yeah I'm set for now.

10. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

It would depend on how good it is. Based on the rumors, probably not. I am enjoying the hell out of my Galaxy S5 and so far the good outweighs the bad.

11. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Yup. Been rocking the S4 the past year and a half now, and while it's certainly a good device I'm ready for a large screen iPhone (bout damn time).

12. ozaz macrumors 65816

No. Mainly because I've come to strongly dislike the iOS way of forcing all apps onto the home screen, thus creating a lot of clutter. Since switching to Android I'm liking having an alphabetized app list/drawer with the ability to choose for myself what shortcuts go on the home screen. Both Android & WP have this so I'll favour these OSs for the time being.

13. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

If the iPhone 6 truly delivers, and also comes with a smartwatch that can replicate my Nike FuelBand's fitness functions, then yes I would think so.

I like my S4 but I left after 5 years of iPhone usage because Apple was caught in a state of inertia.

But a bigger screen plus true innovation and I'd gladly go back. I would miss a lot of cool Android features, though. But few are 100% essential, really.

14. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

But a larger screen would not be innovation.....it would be keeping up with the market. I wonder what true innovation there is left in the mobile phone space?

15. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I meant innovation with the smartwatch integration.

The iPhone 6 itself won't be very revolutionary - as you say, there's not much else to be done at the moment.

But if Apple can make an incredible smartwatch with all the best sensors for health and fitness, plus also make it useful when connecting to the iPhone - well that would be quite innovative.

Android smartwatches are a bit basic right now, and even though they will improve soon, Apple does sometimes do some pretty amazing stuff at reinventing "new" categories.

Let's see.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since the iPhone 6 hasn't been announced it is impossible for me to make that determination.

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Since i have stopped wasting a lot of money on these platform switches and opted for mostly cross-platform services, if i were to buy an iPhone it would probably be iPhone 6C, hopefully at least also 4.3 inches and $500 off contract.

However, what partly stops me from jumping back and forth is the fact android, or at least "stock/google android" has improved so much and many amazing apps/quality strategy games have spring up that my itch for switching to greener grass is fading.

And the biggest block in my path to a potential switch is how i am sure that the iPhone won't work as nice with my Nexus 7 or my new desktop PC, especially when my preferred media marketplace is not iTunes. And then there is that clunky home button there, still double tapping to get to the multi-tasking, which always annoyed me since iPhone 4, and why i always installed activator as my first JB tweak. I like how i can touch my soft recents key and switch almost seamlessly.

And then there is sharing. Sharing is there in iOS, but way too limited for my needs. In the past i have come across some apps that wouldn't have a share option to even popular services like pocket for example. Why delegate this to the developer is beyond my understanding. Should be baked into the OS instead.

And then intents is pretty powerful in android too.

I don't care what is in my pocket as long as it gets the job done, be it iPhone or an android phone, but lately i find android to fill all my needs much better. Now some people don't care about the above and more power to them, enjoy the superior camera and a more cohesive experience. I get that. But it doesn't work for me.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm typing this on my Samsung galaxy S5, and I'm largely content. I don't miss my iPhone 5S all that much.

I'm be watching closely to see what Apple offers. There is a 50/50 chance of changing back. Just depends on what it brings to table.

Still I really like my S5.

19. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

20. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Agreed. Android has finally got to the point that I don't really miss my 5s much, as well.

I will be tempted...but I am really happy with my S5 right now.

If apple raises the price of the iPhone...I am that much less likely to pick one up.

21. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

Better batteries ... but that probably requires invention ... Although based on some responses and some previous "innovations", some inventions get an Apple sticker thrown on and there you go - an innovation :p :p

22. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

If a 5.5" iPhone is not in the mix for Apple, probably not. I'm tired of downgrading to a smaller screen size every time I use the 5s.

The Note 3 has given me more than I initially expected for its use case, a lateral move to a similar sized device is really the only thing I'm interested in now.

23. Achillias macrumors regular

No I won't. Already have the HTC One M8 and I doubt that the iPhone 6 looks better than the current smartphone I have.

24. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Like every iteration of the iPhone since the iPhone 4S - I buy it, use it for a month, appreciate the camera and play around with the gimmicks (like Siri and the fingerprint sensor) and then switch to the latest Note or Nexus phone. My wife gets all my month old iPhones lol.

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Highly doubt it. Left iPhone four years ago and haven't been tempted. It is nice to finally see a bigger screen in line with the rest of the others but their OS is still limited and that's a biggy for me. And I still don't care for iTunes.