Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Well we can't just be talking about plugging in because of wifi sync! I just don't care for the idiosyncrasies that come with syncing with iTunes. Just let me copy and paste into folders. Done and works on every computer, not just the one you synced with. Easily recoverable from the device. Don't have to download sharepod or whatever to recover music off the device.

Yes ios backups are better, not arguing that. But you better have your iTunes computer backed up too

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well we can't just be talking about plugging in because of wifi sync! I just don't care for the idiosyncrasies that come with syncing with iTunes. Just let me copy and paste into folders. Done and works on every computer, not just the one you synced with. Easily recoverable from the device. Don't have to download sharepod or whatever to recover music off the device.

Yes ios backups are better, not arguing that. But you better have your iTunes computer backed up too

Ehh I'd rather them beef up wifi sync and auto-sync options like iTunes match than go backwards in adding drag and drop...

iTunes Match should be the example. Photo Streams also works really well. Just need a solution for movies/TV Shows. I assume they are always working on it, but licensing in the movie/TV world is much different than music I'd imagine.

Oh and I don't have any of my devices backed up to either of my Macs. It's all on iCloud. I know people say to do clean installs with new devices or clean restores with new software, but I haven't ever done any of that and don't have issues.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Ehh I'd rather them beef up wifi sync and auto-sync options like iTunes match than go backwards in adding drag and drop...

iTunes Match should be the example. Photo Streams also works really well. Just need a solution for movies/TV Shows. I assume they are always working on it, but licensing in the movie/TV world is much different than music I'd imagine.

But I don't want to pay for an extra service...

It's all about control, apple just won't open the directory structure over USB. You call it regression, I call it an option. We will never agree

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
But I don't want to pay for an extra service...

Well....I guess then you're stuck.

Though, despite how I abhor iTunes on PC, I don't see how importing music into iTunes and then syncing it is that much more difficult than dragging and dropping various folders.

I feel like we're stuck on this idea that the file system has to be depicted as file folders and drag-and-drop is the mechanism by which we add and take away. I think Apple is on to something, by using the Apps as the "file folders". They just need to beef the idea up a bit and open up inter-app sharing.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Oh and I don't have any of my devices backed up to either of my Macs. It's all on iCloud. I know people say to do clean installs with new devices or clean restores with new software, but I haven't ever done any of that and don't have issues.

This is mostly because of iTunes Match. Traditionally (in my case) if you lose the PC, you loose the library file and the media itself save for 3rd party recovery programs like share pod. Like you said you better have the movies backed up elsewhere too. Icloud is great, but not for media aside from photos in the camera roll.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is mostly because of iTunes Match. Traditionally (in my case) if you lose the PC, you loose the library file and the media itself save for 3rd party recovery programs like share pod. Like you said you better have the movies backed up elsewhere too. Icloud is great, but not for media aside from photos in the camera roll.

True - I do have my media backed up to an external hard drive. I thought you were talking iCloud backups of the phone itself.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Depends on what the features are of the next generation device.

As for the iPhone, I am happy with the Nokia Lumia 1020. As a photographer, there is nothing like shooting 38MP RAW (~50mb in size) with full control. Of course, this comes at the expense of being able to grab 1 shot every 4 or 5 seconds.

Probably will move back to the iPhone 5 or 5S once I sell the Lumia 1020. As I use devices off-contract, the iPhone 6 in 64GB capacity would cost a fortune with taxes (as did the iPhone 5 64GB when I first got it only to sell it for half the price a year later).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
True - I do have my media backed up to an external hard drive. I thought you were talking iCloud backups of the phone itself.

Fair enough and likewise, but a file directory approach would allow the mobile device to serve as a backup of the media as well. As in, my android phone is also a backup for my media library :) it is possible on ios too, but so painful and with limitations.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Fair enough and likewise, but a file directory approach would allow the mobile device to serve as a backup of the media as well. As in, my android phone is also a backup for my media library :) it is possible on ios too, but so painful and with limitations.

I wouldn't be able to fit enough of my media on my iOS device for it to matter as a backup lol.

I see what you're saying - and we're just on different pages/use cases.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Android and many of the OEM's have come a long way. A number of Android flagship devices ever since last year have surpassed the legendary iPhone line and precocious iOS in practicality in both hardware and software after five years. After 5+ years, Android and its OEM's simply matured. Android devices were ugly ducklings in its freshman/sophomore years only to turn into a beautiful swan its senior year.

Form factor, excellent design, games, and camera might be the only benefits for me going back to iOS but that still might not be enough. Apple is great at the holistic experience. Integration with software and hardware. But I don't want to be locked into an ecosystem. Smooth is nice but is it worth trading less smoother animations for more features, flexibility, and customization? Eventually iOS slows down after every update and needs fresh restores to recapture its early fresh speed again.

If you believe Apple knows what is best for you, stick to iPhone. If YOU know what is best for you, try Android. After three years with iOS, I got bored. After three years with Android, I'm still learning news things with the OS and its versatility has prevented me from ever going back to iOS. Android isn't perfect but it might already be the greatest mobile OS I have ever used. Starting below iOS, Windows Phone, and webOS at first before surpassing them all.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Probably I really like the Lumia 1520, but if Apple puts out the 5.5 inch version of the 6 I probably will go back cause I do mis a lot of the apps I cannot get, Like VUDU, Dishanywhere, etc on Windows Phone, but the Lumia's Battery Life and especially the camera and the screen, Stellar.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
After seeing the mockups compared to the current model(s), I can't wait!

I'll def be purchasing the iP6. 4.7 is perfect.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
No. It's not the size which made me buying an android device. It's the limitation of the OS which did it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on a Nokia running WP8.1 and there are definitely things I like about it, but there are things I miss from iOS. I'm hoping that an update will tighten up 8.1 for me.

For instance there's a bug in the music app that creates duplicate playlists, not a huge issue, but a rough edge which shouldn't be a surprise coming from a developer preview.

With that said, I wanted a larger phone and was debating the Icon vs. the Note. I'm liking the WP platform but I may be swayed by a larger iPhone. The major downside is the cost. If Apple is going to charge a premium for a larger iPhone I'm not going to be tempted too much.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I was on iOS for five years (2008-2013) but started preferring Android by 2012 after over a year of using it.

Lately, been playing around with the iPhone 5 with iOS7 to use as Wi-Fi spot for my Android phone. I honestly can't go back to it. Even if Apple goes water-resistant, I still might not go back. I am so used to my gesture swipes and have certain habits navigating. When I was customizing my Stepdad's Galaxy Note II, it was natural. Less than an hour and I remembered all the settings. I have my OTG cable and USB flash drives, and it very easy to add movies to his phone. Copying files using an OTG cable is faster than Bluetooth and no need for iTunes and a computer to do anything.

Some people are iOS/Apple folks and that's cool. I might always be an Android guy. I'm done with "experimenting" OSes. That was in 2011. Android is my preferred choice.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I'd never choose iOS for my primary phone full stop. I would consider a tablet though.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Totally agree, the iPhone needs to cut the iTunes cord. No need to have to plug into iTunes for your phone updates or to a lot of stuff on the computer. That's so last decade :p

No iPhone of mine has touched a PC for anything other than charging in 3 years.

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Nope. The hardware is usually great, but there is just no getting around the fact that iOS is a lot more limited than Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.