Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Or maybe you'll re-phrase it in plain english.
Manual brightness can be set at 100% which is 25% less than the maximal brightness the phone can attain. The 25% brightness is only accessible by the system when auto brightness is set and there is very high ambient light, which is completely understandable. However, if the engineers were smart then manual brightness being set to 100% would TURN ON auto-brightness (not known but hidden) until the user adjusts the brightness below 100%. When the manual brightness is set to 100% and auto brightness turns on, it will use the ambient light sensor to judge whether it should adjust the brightness into the 25% off limits zone. When the ambient light falls back down, it adjusts back to a minimum of 100% or it turns off if the user adjusts the brightness below 100%.

I can't describe it any simpler.

Reactions: hush17

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Seriously guys brightness? Is the brightness on the current iPhone 7 an issue in direct sunlight? No it isn’t, neither will it be an issue on their future phones either.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seriously guys brightness? Is the brightness on the current iPhone 7 an issue in direct sunlight? No it isn’t, neither will it be an issue on their future phones either.

I never had an issue with the brightness on my iPhone 7 in direct sunlight. I can read the display easily without any issue.

Reactions: ke-iron

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Except OLED being an emissive display is inherently harder to read under direct sunlight compared to a transflective LCD panel. This means you need higher nits on an OLED display to make up for it. In short 650 Nits on a LCD is not equal to 650 Nits on an OLED panel.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If a screen is 500 nits 95% of the time (100% of the time for people who don't use auto-brightness or are indoors) then it is a downright scam to market it as higher. I have read the whole article

You do know iPhones also push to higher brightness levels only when using automatic and in sunlight brightness levels, right?

Like this is not a new thing...
[doublepost=1505722230][/doublepost]
I never had an issue with the brightness on my iPhone 7 in direct sunlight. I can read the display easily without any issue.

It's hard to explain but OLED doesnt seem as bright at the level as LCD. It needs to be higher. Seems odd, but it's true.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Manual brightness can be set at 100% which is 25% less than the maximal brightness the phone can attain. The 25% brightness is only accessible by the system when auto brightness is set and there is very high ambient light, which is completely understandable. However, if the engineers were smart then manual brightness being set to 100% would TURN ON auto-brightness (not known but hidden) until the user adjusts the brightness below 100%. When the manual brightness is set to 100% and auto brightness turns on, it will use the ambient light sensor to judge whether it should adjust the brightness into the 25% off limits zone. When the ambient light falls back down, it adjusts back to a minimum of 100% or it turns off if the user adjusts the brightness below 100%.

I can't describe it any simpler.

Yeah, ok, why not. I just fail to see how this is better than simply turning on auto-brightness in the first place.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
When I'm out in bright sunlight and taking pictures (hikes, walks, etc etc), I honestly have no idea if everything is in focus or exposed properly until I look at the pictures later. I have to depend on focus peaking. Maybe punching up the brightness in full sunlight would not be such a bad idea even if only temporarily.

Reactions: ABC5S and arkitect

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You do know iPhones also push to higher brightness levels only when using automatic and in sunlight brightness levels, right?

It's hard to explain but OLED doesnt seem as bright at the level as LCD. It needs to be higher. Seems odd, but it's true.

Maybe the difference is with LCD set to highest brightness, the whole screen looks washed out and you lose detail (i.e whole screen is lit up with the highest brightness). OLED highest brightness depends on individual pixel. White area has highest brightness and darker area has lower brightness (i.e. screen is lighted up evenly). With OLED you can see a much clearer image (albeit at not so bright) under sunlight.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014

Remember Apple said it’s the first OLED worthy of going into an iPhone. I believe Apple would not put a display that was inferior to the LCD displays they’ve used in previous models, on their highest end, flagship, 10 year anniversary iPhone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Remember Apple said it’s the first OLED worthy of going into an iPhone. I believe Apple would not put a display that was inferior to the LCD displays they’ve used in previous models, on their highest end, flagship, 10 year anniversary iPhone.

There is always a compromise. We just don't know where it is with the iPhone X OLED panel yet.

Reactions: ABC5S

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
When I'm out in bright sunlight and taking pictures (hikes, walks, etc etc), I honestly have no idea if everything is in focus or exposed properly until I look at the pictures later. I have to depend on focus peaking. Maybe punching up the brightness in full sunlight would not be such a bad idea even if only temporarily.

What do you mean you have no idea if everything is in focus? You can look at the screen if you have an iPhone. The iPhone screen gets more than enough bright in direct sunlight.
[doublepost=1505728375][/doublepost]
There is always a compromise. We just don't know where it is with the iPhone X OLED panel yet.

I understand what you’re saying but I trust Apple in matters like this. This is directly from their website.

“OLED Designed for iPhone X
The first OLED screen that rises to the standards of iPhone, with accurate, stunning colors, true blacks, high brightness, and a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio.”

I believe they have done their home work and we will see how good it is in little over a month.

Last edited:

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Wow. Way to go not caring to relate to a word I wrote.

The screen is washed out and hard to see in bright/direct sunlight making it hard to see fine detail in the scene I'm trying to photograph. You should however continue to disregard the experience of others and just insist you're right. I'm sure it serves you well in all your endeavors and your friends must love every moment with you.

Reactions: Vanilla35 and ABC5S

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I've notched that this spec used to be a big deal, but things have changed. After a certain point it's moot. 600 nits, 1200 nits, 2 million nits (God help us!) Overkill? :D Oh, and the sly Samsung keeping the 'good' screens for themselves theory, is getting old.

Last edited:

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Absolutely no worries here. Not only do I expect the X to be perfectly viewable in sunlight (like my current 7 Plus), but I also expect that the display will have excellent calibration by Apple.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Wow. Way to go not caring to relate to a word I wrote.

The screen is washed out and hard to see in bright/direct sunlight making it hard to see fine detail in the scene I'm trying to photograph. You should however continue to disregard the experience of others and just insist you're right. I'm sure it serves you well in all your endeavors and your friends must love every moment with you.

If it’s a recent iPhone, when taking pictures, it is more than bright enough in direct sunlight to see what you’re doing on the screen. How is trying to see fine detail on the screen going to help you when trying to take a picture? Tap to focus, and take the picture. You’re taking a picture in bright sunlight, not editing one. Recent iPhones screens are not washed out in direct sunlight either. We own iPhones and we take pictures outside all the time without issues. You’re complaining about make belief issues.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I beg to differ. Auto brightness is basically perfect.
Every time I tried it, it would always end up slightly above minimum brightness despite the fact that I was in absolute darkness. That tells me it's garbage. Minimum and maximum are insanely simple, it's everything in between that is much more difficult, but of course they couldn't even do minimum right.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Every time I tried it, it would always end up slightly above minimum brightness despite the fact that I was in absolute darkness. That tells me it's garbage. Minimum and maximum are insanely simple, it's everything in between that is much more difficult, but of course they couldn't even do minimum right.

Or maybe you didn't "calibrate" it correctly. You can do this, it's simple, google it.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

Wait a second, it’s supposed to be very low if the surrounding area is dark. Less light = lower brightness. Do you want it to blast you with max brightness in the dark?

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I find it funny that a spec on brightness is not a concern yet there is a thread on this forum about how the processor on the new iPhones is so much better than the competition. If Apple has a superior spec=then specs matter. If a competitor has a superior spec=specs don't matter.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wait a second, it’s supposed to be very low if the surrounding area is dark. Less light = lower brightness. Do you want it to blast you with max brightness in the dark?

I think he wants it lower. Why I don't know. Seems fine to me. I always use auto brightness. Why would I want to fool with it all the time? My battery (7+) lasts for two days anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.