Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I update to os2?

• No

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 77 91.7%

• Total voters

jmjeffrey

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
London
hmmm... Anyone know why my the software update isn't appearing on my iPhone 6? The latest phone iOS has been downloaded etc. but it still says my watchOS 1.0.1 software is up to date in the watch app.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Install took ages - over two hours - and I had to unpair and repair (losing all my apple pay cards), plus loads of reboots of both phone and watch. All worth it though! I hope the next update is easier.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
hmmm... Anyone know why my the software update isn't appearing on my iPhone 6? The latest phone iOS has been downloaded etc. but it still says my watchOS 1.0.1 software is up to date in the watch app.

I had that. I put the watch on the charger and said update was available. Might have been a coincidence though. It does say you need 50% charge and watch on charger to update.

jmjeffrey

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
London
I had that. I put the watch on the charger and said update was available. Might have been a coincidence though. It does say you need 50% charge and watch on charger to update.

Cheers mate. I deleted my beta profile and then restarted both devices and it's now downloading.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No problems, but I would not say I am "enjoying" it. The only difference I notice/care about is nightstand. Everything else seems the same.

Until 3rd party apps take advantage of being native.

mchlwise

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Utah
I haven't had any problems.

"Enjoying" it might be overstating a little, but I've noticed little things that I would consider improvements.

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
How much fun is doing this...
vsmallfloyd watch.jpg

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'm loving it tbh. Creating new watch faces is a lot of fun and and the OS is generally snappier. I'm particularly liking that Siri is much faster and more reliable, I didn't really use it before but now I'm learning new things to do with it and it's making my whole use of the watch smoother.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Just remember that this forum does not represent the majority of users out there and that people don't usually go out of their way to create "everything is great" threads.

FWIW I upgraded both my wife's Apple Watch and mine with no issues.

Yes, I definitely understand that and I also take everything I hear with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Armen

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
No issues .. just wish there were more 3rd party apps available to take advantage of it. Seems the release wasn't coordinated well with developers.

IW1206MT

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2015
No issues- upgrading is a must for the apps to come.. Enjoying some of the little changes...

Upgrading fixed the super high resting calorie issue for me...

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
So on to my next question. I asked this before but lost the thread it was on. I had a Fit Bit and now do not need it. Someone said there is a way to keep up with my friends, etc, without the actual Fit Bit. If someone could please answer me i would appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Download the Sync Solver app. There are two; you need the one that syncs info from Health into FitBit.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I am glad to hear it has been going great for you. I am just wondering as to why others have issues and others do not?

Because the vast majority of people that don't have problems don't come to a message board usually and tell everyone they have no problems. The only people you hear from are people that had problems and are looking for help, or to just complain. They are a tiny minority, but if you think a message board reflects the real world it would appear that lots of people are having problems.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
For me its seems a bit better but native apps or not I still find it slow and clunky. Im tired of seeing the spinning (whatever its called) when I pretty much access anything. Im really looking forward to a couple of generations down the road when its just smoother and faster. Don't get me wrong I do like it and try to wear it once or twice a week in rotation with my Sub and Speedie. Sorry dandy mean to hear of the OS2 topic towards the hardware side of things.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Only issue I've run into is Location Services weren't working, causing some apps not to work properly. I solved it with an unpair-repair and it's working fine now.

Otherwise, totally positive experience. watchOS 2 is leagues better than version 1.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A little late to the thread, but overall I'm happy. I've not incurred the battery drain issue others have. I did at first, but that's when iOS9 came out (not watch os2). I rebooted both the watch and the phone and that seemed to fix that issue.

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Had a problem recognising that OS2 was available. Kept saying watch was up to date with 1.01. Turned out because I was running 9.1 beta. Got sick of small beta problems and rebuilt phone with 9.0 and watch upgraded AOK.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Did they turn up the volume on alarms? I feel it's much louder when nightstand is activated. Which is a good thing!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I like OS2. I like that there are fewer crown clicks required to get from a third party app back to the watch face. I was very annoyed that it took 3 clicks before. I don't like that many of the clock faces that involve photos only have the time and possibly the date. There should be at least 1 or 2 complications so I can add data that is viewable at a glance without touching my watch. While I like Astronomy, Motion, Photo, Photo slideshow (sp?) and animated wallpaper, I don't use them because I want more than just the date and time on the watch face of a smart watch. I mean if Mickey can display my next appointment and the outside temperature, surely ALL watchfaces can do it.

For me the update was painful and while I've already covered this in another thread I can mention here that it took over 3 hours, caused me to cut short on one of my practice runs, and almost made me late for a meeting. In fact the watch finally finished rebooting as I walked in the door to my meeting which means I was wearing a mere decoration on my wrist as I drove to the meeting.

I also have mixed feelings about iOS9. I like the new low power mode. I like the possibility of wifi calling though it appears At&t (and possibly the FCC) have flubbed the rollout. What I don't like is having to reset my phone to get audio during a call and constant loss of bluetooth to my headsets (2 different ones). I don't like instability with apps crashing almost daily. In iOS9, I like the lowercase/capital keyboard. This was one of the few things I liked about Android and I was glad to see iOS finally pick this up. Why am I discussing iOS 9 in a WOS2 thread? Because AFAIK you need iOS9 to get WOS2 and I've gone so far as to warn several friends to hold off on iOS9 due to my mixed experience with it.

I don't have any third party apps yet (that I know of) but I'm sure they are coming soon. Overall I like my Apple Watch and I like OS2.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'm still unable to update to Watch OS 2. Still on 1.0.1. Tried everything I've seen suggested (had reset iPhone and AW, put both on chargers, etc.) -- and not running any beta. Strange.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm still unable to update to Watch OS 2. Still on 1.0.1. Tried everything I've seen suggested (had reset iPhone and AW, put both on chargers, etc.) -- and not running any beta. Strange.

Stupid question, but I'm only asking since you didn't directly state it, are you running iOS 9 on your phone? watchOS 2 requires iOS 9, if you're still on 8, it won't show up.

Reactions: r0k

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Had a problem recognising that OS2 was available. Kept saying watch was up to date with 1.01. Turned out because I was running 9.1 beta. Got sick of small beta problems and rebuilt phone with 9.0 and watch upgraded AOK.

I'm running 9.1 beta and it picked up WatchOS2 no worries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.