Anyone getting an iPhone 8 instead of the X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 19, 2017.

?

Are you getting an 8 or 8+ instead of the X given recent news?

1. Yes, I am getting the 8 or 8+

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. No, I am getting the X

57 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Yes, I am getting the 8

29 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Yes, I am getting the 8+

64 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Starfyre, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

As the topic states, are you getting an iPhone 8 or 8+ instead of the X? Personally I am really looking forward to getting the X... or was... until I had a long chat with a friend that told me that they would rather get an 8 instead because of how ugly it looked.

The 8+ is out of the question, I want to be able to use the phone effortlessly with one hand.

Reading the latest Macrumors post here:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/19/face-id-2018-iphones-truedepth-camera/

It looks like Apple "might" put TouchID in the new iPhone X successor if people complain how bad FaceID is and don't like it. I keep thinking about all the surgeons, doctors, and girls covered up by long hair waking up in the middle of the night having problems with FaceID that would make much more sense with TouchID. Who knows, maybe they might get rid of the notch for all we know?

With the iPhone 8, the biggest thing I would be missing is the display being so much smaller than the Samsung Galaxy 8 and the LGV30, and who knows if we see the front of the Pixel 2, maybe that phone too. I really want to stick with iPhone and not get an Android because of the Augmented Reality capabilities.

What would you do if you were me? Do you have a similar issue? If anything, if I do get an iPhone 8, it would be a "holdout" phone for me until X-2 comes out...

I don't like the + size because of the form factor. Though I will be missing the dual cameras... I don't know what to think anymore.

FaceID... if it gets coupled with TouchID for next year, I would have to get that phone... so either way it looks like if I get a iPhone 8, it would be a "holdout-until-next-year" phone. If I get the iPhone X, I would probably not upgrade for at least another few years unless TouchID gets built in with the X.

2. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

I am trying to decide that as well. What do you have right now? Can you hold out one more year on what you have now?

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I cannot, I have an iP6 which does not support anything Augmented Reality. I don’t want to wait another year for that.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

This same question was posted two days ago. Multiple responded yes.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

8+ will be here Friday.

I’ll take a closer look at the X series next year.

6. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

7. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

Since you don't like the Plus, I think you should go for the X. Don't worry about what friends think. Go for the best specs in the form factor that you will be happy with. If you don't like the X, there will be plenty of 8's in stock that you can exchange it for ;)

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think you should base your decision what iPhone you want based on your appreciation for what capabilities or features. I wouldn't base your decision on your friends opinion,alternately, if your money you're spending. Just take your time to evaluate which iPhones you want based on your preferences.

9. Starfyre, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

She's a close friend, and has been using a 6S. If I had one, I would have probably skipped upgrading this year because of the AR support.

I feel like I may be trying to sugarcoat my own thoughts on the notch. Yes, it removes the symmetry of the screen, and there is an air of uncertainty around me whether Apple would keep it up since so many people are complaining about it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Trigger for this thread was as a result of all the news posts. I feel I may be having a change of heart after reading the post linked in the OP.

It really makes the X seem like some "experimental" phone that requires "gauging of opinion and interest" prior to making a decision on next years... if TouchID is one of those things that might come back depending on sales, is the Notch too? How much would the X actually resemble the design it has now? Apple's strategy seems to be "market hard, support the design... but reality is depending on sales, adoption, and buzz... we'll change the design to incorporate our technical failing of TouchID, maybe get rid of the notch,..."

10. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

No Jony video for the 8. It's a step-child at best. So I'm out.

11. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

From what I can tell by your posts and presence on this forum, you will feel a great deal of buyer’s remorse if you bite on the 8 instead of the X. Seriously, take it from me-I bought and returned an 8 and and 8+ because I wasn’t patient enough to wait for October 27. It was dumb, and cost me about 100 bucks in restocking fees and cases I can’t return.

The X is bound to be a work in progress, but it’s really going to be fun to ride the wave as it comes in. The old style phones are great, no doubt-but they just aren’t a compelling purchase at this point.

Get the X-you know you want to

12. rui no onna macrumors 604

rui no onna

Reckon FaceID is here to stay ergo, so will the notch holding all that tech. If the notch proves extremely unpopular, Apple can easily mask it via software.

In the US at least, one can buy an iPhone 6s for half the price of the iPhone 8. If all one needed was a holdout phone with AR support, I'd just get the least expensive option. Depreciation's also not going to be as awful as it's already been through the steepest value drop ($-wise).

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

What exactly do you plan on doing with AR that you seem to require it?

14. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

Im getting the gorgeous X. If and only if, the x is sold out I'll have to go with an 8 plus but only because right now I have no phone.

Go for the x. It's going to be huge. Notch my arse, when the iPhone X is out everyone will be astonished by the phone. It will be the hottest thing of the moment and many who got an 8 instead of an X will highly regret it. Look at the big picture.

15. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I bought an 8 plus coming from the iPhone 6. I love the phone, although the plus size I'm 50/50. I decided to return the 8 plus and go for the X. My preference is to buy the best technology available when I upgrade, and the X is supposed to be that. Decided the landscape mode potential issue with the notch and thinness is worth my risk as I don't rely too much on video. I do however rely a lot on portrait mode and the extra length of the X will be similar to the Plus. Also if after trying the X I'm not satisfied with it, I can always return it and go back to the 8 Plus.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That’s all true... if you’re weak minded and impressionable.

Buy the X because you want to X and it fulfills your needs better than the alternative. Not because you’re worried that you won’t feel cool if you don’t have the shiniest new toy.

17. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

I'm buying the x because the design has me speechless, I really see myself enjoying the h.eck out of it. The older iPhone 8 may fullfill my needs, but it lacks that wow factor that really adds up to the overall experience.

If buying a device strictly for getting the job done, why not buy an $80 android instead if a more expensive phone?

18. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

‘The older iPhone 8’? You make it sound as if it’s 5 years old (don’t come back at me with the, ‘the design is 4 years old!’ claptrap). :rolleyes: The iPhone 8 is an amazing phone, it’s super quick and sleek. Yeah, it still has bezels, but so what? Personally I prefer a timeless, tried-and-tested design. You can be the tester for the X, and I’ll wait until it’s refined (as it inevitably will be) and buy one in a couple of years’ time. ;):p

19. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

Yeah, performance-wise the iPhone 8 is on par with current standards, however, its design is, starting nov 3, officially from an older generation. That's what I meant. It will look older as time passes.

20. Sigp232 macrumors regular

Sigp232

I’m holding off till the XPlus comes next September. And it will.

21. mebehere macrumors 6502

mebehere

Why do you post a million threads? How much comparison to everything do you need? Methinks you’re a troll with an attractive avatar that isn’t you.

22. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I went with the 8 as I like the design. my old cases for the 6/6s, and 7 fit it, and I like Touch ID. The phone is very quick with the A11 bionic processor. I really like it myself. I know a lot of people want a new design so I am happy apple has the X coming out for them.

23. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Why so certain

24. Sigp232 macrumors regular

Sigp232

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

In that case, I'll pay off the 2017 iPhone X and use it as a backup in place of my old and trusty 5s.