Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Been naked for a few months and had my first drop a couple days back. Of course being as talented as it is, after hitting the pavement it was able to find a puddle to skip into. I was pretty sure it was a goner but I grabbed it up after a couple of seconds and shut it down.

After about an hour I turned it back on to find the system sounds were not working. After setting a genius bar appointment and waiting for a few hours everything was back to normal. Bullet dodged.

Guess I enjoy living on the edge cuz the phone still is and will remain as naked as the day it was assembled. :)

BERRYP186

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2009
Mine has been naked for about a year no problems i did put a carbon stick on
on the back a couple of months back. But nothing else it's great.

AudioCow

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Used a bumper for the first ~8 months. Been naked since then.
The bumper caused a lot more damage than running naked.

ErnesP

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I took my invisible shield off a month or so ago, wish i had done it from the start, so much nicer to use completely naked.

Got a few minor scratches on the screen but you can only see them with the screen off and with light at the right angle, so hardly an issue

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
Been naked for a few months and had my first drop a couple days back. Of course being as talented as it is, after hitting the pavement it was able to find a puddle to skip into. I was pretty sure it was a goner but I grabbed it up after a couple of seconds and shut it down.
Both food and hardware live by the 5 second rule.

I never get why this is brought up all the time. If I'm naked or your naked who cares unless we are together.
What about when you and your hand are naked?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I've had an iPhone since the first one launched back in June 2007 and I've never used a case. I've always had a Bodyguardz on it and had no issues. All my phones have been in like-new shape even after years of use. Apple spent a lot of time designing a great looking phone and it's a shame to cover it up with a case making it look horrid. Start treating it like the several hundred dollar device it is and you shouldn't have a problem.

ShivneelSingh

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I've had the black iPhone 4 since the day before it came out and didn't have any screen protectors on it since it was supposed to be 20X harder than plastic and blah blah... During the first week I noticed small hairlike scratches on the back glass, and I was so surprised! Then more scratches started showing up and before I knew it, the back was so scratched up that my phone started looking like crap. Then I noticed there was "pits" and little scratches on the front screen, and that really bothered me because I didn't like seeing little "pits" on the screen, but I dealt with it. But, not for long, so I drove to the Apple Store and got an exchange, and immediately bought the Zagg screen protectors for the back and front; HATED the feel and how smudged it would get, I'd have to clean it every time I use the phone. Then I ordered the Power Support screen protectors, but dropped my phone in the pool...
Then got the white iPhone, and I fell in love with it!! But I only bought the FRONT Power Support screen protector because I know the white wouldn't scratch as easily or show scratches at least. I've had it for a few months and don't noticed any scratched on the back, unless you look REALLY hard. But I haven't taken off the screen protector from the front because I don't want to risk getting those "pits" or scratches on the screen.
But nothing feels better than a naked iPhone in hand, it's so smooth and beautiful. :D

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I use the Apple bumper on mine. The naked iPhone is just too slippery in my opinion.

Does the bumper scratch the metal banding on the iPhone 4? I read a few older threads that the Apple bumper does that? I have a holster on my belt that I use, but it's getting old, and I don't think I want another one of those.

----------

Used a bumper for the first ~8 months. Been naked since then.
The bumper caused a lot more damage than running naked.

I keep reading that some have had issues with the bumper, like yours. Others say it's been fine...?

I'm stuck. Have an older holster, that's falling apart. I was considering the bumper, since it's just a band. But now I'm not sure? :confused:

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
the bumper is ok but after a while the bumper starts to look like crap, black or white. The naked iphone maybe with a zagg or just PS on it is the way to go. If anything just throw it in a sena slim case or similar pouch.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Once I realized that my bumper was scratching the stainless, I took the bumper off and have been using it like this for about a year now. I haven't dropped it yet and haven't dropped an iPhone in four years.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Does the bumper scratch the metal banding on the iPhone 4? I read a few older threads that the Apple bumper does that? I have a holster on my belt that I use, but it's getting old, and I don't think I want another one of those.

----------

I keep reading that some have had issues with the bumper, like yours. Others say it's been fine...?

I'm stuck. Have an older holster, that's falling apart. I was considering the bumper, since it's just a band. But now I'm not sure? :confused:

If dirt gets between the case and the banding it will scratch it yes. It made marks on my iPhone. You need to clean it regularly.

LowMach

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
I wish i could use mine naked....

I got mine on launch day so i am unable to make phone calls without a bumper or other case. My signal will shoot over -100 when i make a call without a case. I keep my phone in service mode so i can see antenna strength. I will go from -91 to -116 as i am writing this using the phone without a case.

ALL you users are very lucky that you have a iphone 4 that can be used without a case. I am jealous. I rip the bumper off every couple months and quickly get reminded when my calls start to drop. I can use mine naked only if my pinky doesn't cross over the line. I suspected the newer versions had a hardware fix of some sort.

I knew of the issue right after i bought the phone but the screen is SO great i decided to just deal with the fact i have to use a case for it to work as a telephone. I had a piece of clear tape on for awhile but just settled for the bumper.

signed very jealous....

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Cases suck.

People tell me "well its an expensive electronic, what if you drop it?!" to which I say "well your computer is an expensive electronic, do you put a case on that as well?" :p

Of course for the clumsy types though its a money saver... ;)
This is a horrible argument. The use cases are completely different. If my iPhone sat on a desk and was never touched and all the input was done through an attached input device(s) that were cheap, I wouldn't put a case on it. But it gets touched, moved, handled, pulled in and out of a pocket, thrown in a cup-holder, etc.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
I wish i could use mine naked....

I got mine on launch day so i am unable to make phone calls without a bumper or other case. My signal will shoot over -100 when i make a call without a case. I keep my phone in service mode so i can see antenna strength. I will go from -91 to -116 as i am writing this using the phone without a case.

ALL you users are very lucky that you have a iphone 4 that can be used without a case. I am jealous. I rip the bumper off every couple months and quickly get reminded when my calls start to drop. I can use mine naked only if my pinky doesn't cross over the line. I suspected the newer versions had a hardware fix of some sort.

I knew of the issue right after i bought the phone but the screen is SO great i decided to just deal with the fact i have to use a case for it to work as a telephone. I had a piece of clear tape on for awhile but just settled for the bumper.

signed very jealous....

I think it's with all iPhone 4's. The one I purchased last year had it and so does the one purchased 2 months ago.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Alway naked.. I have owned every iPhone to date and have yet to crack or damage anything. I did drop my 3GS once, but only left a scuff on the corner of the plastic back. I have had the iPhone 4 90% without any case and on the rare occasion I toss on the free bumper from the anntenagate fun.

I have large hands and don't find it difficult to hang on to, plus I get the bonus of working for a wholesale parts company that I can get any iPhone/Apple part dirt cheap so it if happens, 15 mins and a few bucks I'm as good as new. I almost want to crack it so I can swap out the front and back for the new colored glass replacement parts they have. I feel a slip coming on now... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.