Anyone here loves their Apple wireless Aluminum keyboard??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Thinking about getting one for my mac pro or my macbook pro to use on either one.. anyone here regret buying one or is it that great?

I know that the number key is missing on the side (which I dont care) but I was wondering how is battery life? I've seen people praise about the battery life being great and others saying it sucks.. just want to know, thanks.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I've been impressed. I never turn mine off and its batteries last for months at a time.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

My original batteries lasted me for 4 months. (on my first set of replacement batteries now)

I do wish it had the num pad on it, but I think it is a hell of a keyboard!

no regrets...

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have switched back to the old-style regular keysize white keyboard that came with the original Mac Pro/white iMac. I like the feel of a REAL keyboard, not this razorthin tinkertoy (fire away!!) :)

[​IMG]

5. oban14 macrumors 6502a

It's awful for anyone who needs to use their computer for anything professional - 3d rendering, photoshop, logic, final cut, etc.

I wouldn't mind it if it had the num pad... but there are so many shortcuts and commands that rely on those keys that I just couldn't use it.

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Oban14 has it spot on, although for everything else, the wireless keyboard is fantastic! it's absolutely tiny, and feels great to type on!

7. fernmeister macrumors regular

I like the thin keyboards, but without a numberpad, it is useless (for me).

8. whistler222 macrumors 6502

i dont' like key layout. i keep hitting the wrong key and after 2 weeks, i was still not getting used to it, so i sold it and got a wired aluminum one instead.

i work on photoshop, lightroom, etc.. so slowing down due to the keyboard is painful..

9. acarle208 macrumors member

im thinking of getting both and what is a good bluetooth adapter?

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I wish the wired layout also came in wireless flavor. The number pad is most useful for pro apps, like Logic. I'm guessing FCP uses those keys as well.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Wow battery lasted for about 4 months?!?

This is the number one reason I've been scared to buy one.. but now I might have to pick one up!! I already have 2 wired aluminum keyboard.. I ordered one since the first day they were released and I got another one brand new still sealed in my closet that came with my mac pro.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I know people are gonna debate me, but the thin keyboards, for anything other than a MacBook, are a complete joke, in my opinion. It's like Apple trying to go for the ultraslim sexy deal but losing focus of usability. There is something about the feel of a fullsize keydepth keyboard that can't be matched.

Based on Apple's moves, I will bet you in 5 years from now that our keyboards will be some kind of glossy glass touchscreen. Something like out of Star Trek. We'll see how that goes.

13. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

love mine. For portability it is great. I use the full aluminum kb for my MP though as I don't need portability.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

I absolutely love mine. The response of the keys along with the overall feel is just great.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Classic Style Keyboard vs. The new "toyboard"

You all must have grown up on laptops...I grew on PowerMacs. I am used to having a keyboard that you basically pummel with your fingers, and can glance hit keys without them accidentally firing off.

The major problem I have with the new keyboards is not their portability or the feel, it's the amount of errors I make when I type of them, the amount of commas that accidentally get placed instead of periods, the amount of letters that go into a URL that weren't even meant to be typed. You can't flytype on the new keyboards easily like you can with a regular AppleDesign keyboard...you just can't...and the delete key on the new keyboards is an absolute disaster.

Look at the keyboards below (my picture). Note the differences. The new Delete key is TINY!:

[​IMG]

16. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Then again, to be fair, I like to say that about the thin keyboards. I don't like the bulk of the "normal" keys. They feel to clunky. The think key are nice and thin, so you don't have to press very hard or far. It has really helped me type faster. Some people argue that they have more typos with it, but it's all about comfort, really. I type WAY better on the thin keyboards.

17. Carl Abudephane, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

i have the new aluminum wired keyboard and i love it
    i like the extra usb ports too
    i keep my mouse and printer connected to the keyboard and just unplug the keyboard when i need to take off
    and i need the number pad so i'm very happy
    i'm not a batter person, so i didn't want the wireless setup

19. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I definitely type faster on my aluminum KB too. It is so much easier and comfortable for me to use. I never turn it off and I have had it since early november with original batteries.

20. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i like a little push to my keys.
    its not bad, i just feel like im 'texting' sometimes instead of 'typing'

21. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yeah, I know I'm not gonna win this battle. Alot of people love the thin keyboards...I am pretty rough when I type, and really fast...I'm also not a touch typer, I mainly use my index and middle fingers. I understand how Apple is wanting to make strides in industrial design, but they can't please everyone.

Dude, usability should ALWAYS be #1. ALWAYS.

Also, I've used both keyboards equally. But I have been typing on AppleDesign Keyboards for years, and I am used to the key layout, the keysize, the response, the spring of the keys...and all this foreign ultra-tiny stuff just for the sake of winning style awards is just tiddly-winks to me. Apple's gone too far on this one, they don't even offer a fullsize-key keyboard anymore, only the tiny ones (btw I don't mean wired vs wireless, I am talking about the two keyboards pictured above. They don't even sell the top one anymore)

Next thing we know Apple will do away with the mouse in favor of a Wii controller that we wear on our ear

22. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I agree with you on this one as well, I do type ALOT faster than the older fatter keyboard (I had a 06' mac pro that came with it). Also 1 thing I hated about the older keyboard is that hair, skin, dirt, dust and whatever else falls inside the crack and if you look at the bottom of the older keyboard it is see thru and looks nasty.

Also I never have any errors punching in a key on the aluminum keyboard.. long as you hit the keys hard enough and it will never miss a letter.

23. HostaDesigner macrumors newbie

I love it (the wired one) ... BUT ... I hate how if forces your hand to be flat against the cold desk (especially in the winter). I made a carpet-covered pad to rest the keyboard and my wrist on. It makes it much more comfortable to use.
    [​IMG]

24. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I really dig that shot with your dual-monitor setup. That is nice.

25. fernmeister macrumors regular

I agree that the old style keyboards are better for longer typing and text projects. Most of my academic work was done on a laptop and I always felt at home going back to the bigger keyboard (having learnt computing with Honeywell keyboards).

I've still kept my white wireless for when I need to write something longer. But, the thin keyboards are really nice for editing in Logic or Sibelius. If they made a full-sized wireless I would buy one right away.