Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
If anyone knows of any undocumented features or nifty tricks with the new iPod Touch, feel free to post them here.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Trick #1:

Hold the ipod in your hand with the screen in your palm. To the unsuspecting public, you're merely holding a run of the mill iPod.

Trick #2:

Sometimes, when you tab the screen a bunch of times followed by some random interface button smashing, you'll bring up the standard OS X volumn control, just like the volumn control on the iphone. Then you can say to yourself, "Yep, this is just like the iPhone.."

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
The reason for the post was to find out about undocumented features so that everyone will hear about them. I do not know of any right now... I just got mine... Sorry.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007

If you eat the iPod touch you won't be able to hear your music unless you have headphones coming out of your mouth (or other)

You can use your iPod touch as an internet browser by tapping the "safari" icon.

Hecklerdanny

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2007
The reason for the post was to find out about undocumented features so that everyone will hear about them. I do not know of any right now... I just got mine... Sorry.

Just put a question mark in the subject of your post next time to avoid any confusion....Some people take these forums very...very seriously...Haha, as you're finding out.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Oh, I almost forgot!

If you are in need of a ruler, you can use iPod touch as a ruler. Draw a black line on the hting you want to messure, the put iPod touch depth wise on the line. draw a line on the other side of the touch. repeat this until you've reached the end of the thing you'd like to measure. Next, simply count hte lines and multiply by 8. That's the number of milimeters the thing you are meassuring is!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
This isn't really a feature but, it's neat looking. Looking at a track playing in portrait view, flip over the album cover, then turn the iPod into landscape mode and watch the cover flip over and spin at the same time. I didn't see any video of this until I actually got mine.

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Don't know if it was documented. Took me awhile to figure out so maybe just me:eek:

Purchases from WIFI store: They do not automatically sync back - even if you are on auto. You must right click on your itouch in tunes and there will be a menu to sync purchases.

Poor Mans Notes: Set up a contact in Contacts called notes. Go to edit fields and add notes as a field. You now have notes - which by the way will also sync with your mac/pc - so keep in mind you will now have a weird contact called notes!

Bookmarks/Passwords/Cookies: If you spend some time with bookmarks on your mac - you can come up with a few tabs that are mobile/touch specific. These all sync and then you have a quick way to "tab" around in your touch. If these are in your book marks and you remember cookies - you can also set your logons to the various websites and the touch will now "remember" them when you return

Documented but worth mentioning again!

Battery Life Saver/Extenders:

Turn off WIFI when not using. Turn off wifi auto ask.

Do NOT plug your touch into a mac or PC that sleeps - it will drain the battery and not charge. Turn off sleeping on your mac if using for charging your touch.

Stupid workarounds for "missing" features:

Quikie volume control - use sleep button. Will let you return to the song where you were last at, same for video. (Need to have this set up in settings)

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
misleading title .. please edit that.

and no more smart ass comments, they are not funny.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
misleading title .. please edit that.

and no more smart ass comments, they are not funny.

iShark: okay boss.. in the mean time, try out the "holding the touch in your hand back side facing out" trick to make people think you're holding a 1st gen ipod instead of the state of the art Touch.. It really works! Give it a try

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Don't know if it was documented. Took me awhile to figure out so maybe just me:eek:

Purchases from WIFI store: They do not automatically sync back - even if you are on auto. You must right click on your itouch in tunes and there will be a menu to sync purchases.
...yes they do

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
It doesn't get any funnier the more you press it, mate.

Ay Mate, not trying to entertain anyone here. That job is for clowns. I'm merely providing alternate uses for our beloved iPod Touch.

Tip #12: It works as a great mirror when such a thing is not around.

stcroixsailor

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2006
#14: Place USB charger in USB charger port to keep iPod from going stale.

#15: You can't make phone calls from the Touch.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Alright, time for a real undocumented feature. In Safari, tapping the menu bar (the thing at the top with the time and battery) will scroll you to the top of the page to enter in a new URL/search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.