Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Here's one I found by accident today. If you unplug your headphones (or casette adaptor) it automatically pauses the music you were listening to.

Was that in another version of iPod? I never noticed if it was.

ryan.go.habs

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Here's one I found by accident today. If you unplug your headphones (or casette adaptor) it automatically pauses the music you were listening to.

Was that in another version of iPod? I never noticed if it was.

Ya it is in my 1G Nano.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I've got a couple of things I've noticed about the iPod touch so far that are really neat.

1. Making an "On the Go" playlist is REALLY awesome with the iPod Touch. You get to choose specific songs to put in the playlist, as well as remove them or even MOVE them around in play order. Very nice! (Probably documented but, nobody seems to be mentioning it).

2. I noticed that if you're in a text field and you press down and move your finger across the words, you can get a magnified view of where your text input marker is going. So if you had to add text in the middle of a word or fix spelling.

3. Sometimes when I turn on my iPod, it shows me the last cover art I was listening to at the time I shut it off.... kinda neat but, I don't know if it's a feature.

GrimmGreen

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
!!ACTUAL UNDOCUMENTED FEATURE!!

!DELETE VIDEOS WITHOUT USING ITUNES!

i actually discovered this today by complete accident , select videos , select and hold the video you want to delete near the right edge of the Ipod and slide your finger to the left , a little red DELETE button will appear , tap it to confirm and VIOLA video is gonzo from the Pod , not to shabby eh?

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
!!ACTUAL UNDOCUMENTED FEATURE!!

!DELETE VIDEOS WITHOUT USING ITUNES!

i actually discovered this today by complete accident , select videos , select and hold the video you want to delete near the right edge of the Ipod and slide your finger to the left , a little red DELETE button will appear , tap it to confirm and VIOLA video is gonzo from the Pod , not to shabby eh?

Documented on Page 6 of the Features Guide :)

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
1. Making an "On the Go" playlist is REALLY awesome with the iPod Touch. You get to choose specific songs to put in the playlist, as well as remove them or even MOVE them around in play order. Very nice! (Probably documented but, nobody seems to be mentioning it).

that is awesome!!!!!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Do NOT plug your touch into a mac or PC that sleeps - it will drain the battery and not charge. Turn off sleeping on your mac if using for charging your touch.
A powered USB hub will probably solve this problem.

Quikie volume control - use sleep button. Will let you return to the song where you were last at, same for video. (Need to have this set up in settings)
Where is this in the settings? I don't see it.

daibach

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
London
You can add notes (kind of) if you use a Mac.

Set up a new group in Address Book named Notes. Sync your Touch.

Open Contacts on the Touch and click the Groups button on the top left.

Choose the Notes group.

Now add a new contact.

Edit the Name field - call it Notes.

Click the Add Field button at the bottom. Scroll to the bottom and choose Note. Type your notes in the field and Save.

Click Save again.

There you go. You can now add notes by editting that Notes contact. Not the same as a proper Notes application, but it works.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
You can store readable files (txt,doc,rtf,html,pdf,jpg) within Safari bookmarks, sync them to your Touch, and read them on your Touch-

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

You can of course organize these via Safari folders.

Great way to read PDF's in landscape mode, though you can't create bookmarks. Pretty cool-

I don't understand this at all. I tried reading the article twice but I don't get how it's working. It just explains how to do it and the end result, but how does it work?

I don't understand how it's transferring these files to the Touch/iPhone and having them available offline.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006

nice ....

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I've got a few more tricks for you.

1. Holding down on a Safari link will bring up a fancy black bubble with the link title and URL adress. Awesome!

2. Click and hold on a text field and drag your cursor to the left or right to see a magnified view of your current place in the word.

3. Hit the spacebar twice to end a sentence adding a period and space for the next sentence.

Come on guys... This is good stuff. Let's post some more tips!!!

theraider

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
i dont really know if this is undocumented but, if you are listening to music and doing something else (safari, pics etc.) hit the home button twice and it brings up a control window for the now playing.

fuzzdawg11

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
one big undocumented feature that i do not like is...
it attracts all the nerds around you that insist on yelling out HE HAS AN IPHONE while i persistantly tell them its just a touh and them they insist that it is a fake nonapple product. ha.

wonginator1221

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Pressing the home button doesn't quit out of an application.
If you hold the home button for 4 - 6 seconds it will "quit" the programs open and return you to the home screen.
Very helpful if Safari freezes up.

Also you can make your iPod touch think it's an iphone by setting a passcode (don't forget it, or you'll spend hours reimporting music after a system restore) under settings->general and then putting your ipod to sleep. if you enter the passcode wrong 6 times, it will say "iPhone is disabled
try again in 1 minute"

ivan123

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
New Zealand
When you are in the now playing screen, put your finger on the left side of the album art then slide your finger to the right takes you back to the previous menu,

takes a little practice to get it to work.

found this out by accident.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
If you hold the home button for 4 - 6 seconds it will "quit" the programs open and return you to the home screen.

Very helpful tip, thanks.

One thing I discovered which is probably already well known and documented but I just learned it by accident, is that double-tapping a playing video switches it between full-screen and letterbox-widescreen (instead of bringing up the video controls and tapping the two-arrow icon to do the same thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.