Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I came from a 15" and thought a 13" was too unworkable. Even at a larger resolution I was worried. My main machine is attached to a 30" display. 13" would seem like a micro machine to me. However, the second I got it and sat down with it, I loved it. I can't imagine ever having a larger notebook.

Surprised the lady enjoys 2 inches less. :p

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Got the 15 inch, wish I spent $200 more for the 17 inch, but I'm still more than satisfied with what I have.

I had a 13 inch Macbook before and could not go back to the smaller screen without some major pains.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
I havent gotten either one yet, but I have two 15" Dells that are spec'd about the same as the current and the previous gen MBPs and I have to say that i am getting a 13" over a 15", because of the size. Unless your going to be doing some serious graphic work, the 13" would work fine. However, I would advise getting the baseline model 13" MBP (either processor) and doing the HDD and Memory upgrades yourself, you'll save money that way, and that way you can hook up your 13" to a bigger screen if you need (I'm not sure about you but 1280x800 just doesnt cut it for me).

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I love my 13" but I really wish I'd taken a closer look at the Air. I was afraid of the MBA's I/O limitations but so far I haven't done anything with mine that I couldn't do with the Air. :apple:

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I'm sure I'll love the extra screen real estate and higher resolution. I was actually thinking about going with an iMac this time since I hardly ever take the laptop out of my house. However, you can't curl up with an iMac on the bed in front of the TV. :)

Wow I was out and about all day today from 9am to 7pm and used my 17" uni mbp (on 9400m) for most of the day off and on and I still have almost 2 hour battery life left!

This machine with bluetooth off with only wifi on + safari on 1 notch of brightness (plenty to see still, even under bright lighting conditions like outside!) can get that 8 hours of battery life!

I was amazed today.

RDM3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
Concordville PA
Wow I was out and about all day today from 9am to 7pm and used my 17" uni mbp (on 9400m) for most of the day off and on and I still have almost 2 hour battery life left!

This machine with bluetooth off with only wifi on + safari on 1 notch of brightness (plenty to see still, even under bright lighting conditions like outside!) can get that 8 hours of battery life!

I was amazed today.

That is amazing, my 15" right now shoqa 4 hours 21 mins off a full charge using BT and normal brightness

BuiltforSin

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
VA
Ive had my 2.53 13" since Friday night. It was my first Mac and Im so pleased with it, its everything I expected and more..

I did plan to get the 15" but i decided that this was the best choice for me due to the portability.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
But they're not the same, hence the premium price difference and larger screen estate. I therefore stand by what I said, no one should be swayed from the better laptop due to others financial restrictions.
Why do you always start fights like this? Is it just fun for you???

The question wasn't really directed towards money, and not many people talked about how money swayed their decision.

I grabbed a 13" because of the size, I like the smaller size. If I wanted the 15", I would have gotten it.

Many people are in the same boat.

But you also should take into consideration the fact that the 13" is cheaper. Honestly, it's a good selling point, regardless of my financial situation versus the original poster, it's a very valid plus when it comes to purchasing anything.

Despite the fact that I have just added more fuel to the fire for you, I assume this is something the OP might like to see.

To the OP, I love my 13" uMB. It's small, but fast enough to get done what I need done. That being said, watching movies on it isn't bad as long as I don't sit too far away. It's sort of something good to put on a book on your lap when you're laying in bed and enjoying it, or keeping the MacBook on your nightstand. It can be comfortably used for a movie, but it fits well in my bag for those long days at school.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Had both originally I bought the uMBP 15" but even though the screen and resolution were awesome and the dedicated GPU as well, I decided for size to exchange it for the 13" and do not regret my decision.

The 13 is small and lite, the screen is just as good, and when I need to use a larger monitor, I just hook up the MB to an external monitor via my adapter, so no regrets, good luch in your decision...:cool:

md1207

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I got the 13inch MBP last month and I think it's great. I had a 15 inch Dell before, and I was thinking about the 15inch MBP because of the ability to switch graphics. Then I realised that I never play games on my laptop. So the choice was easy. Now that I have the 13inch I can use it anywhere in my house, even in bed. That's something I never did with the 15inch. I do have a 24inch iMac for other uses though.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I've always had 15" mac laptops, but just traded my unibody 15 for a 13" MBP and am very satisfied. Sure, it's very nice to have a bigger screen, but the 13" makes up for that with its portability and weight. Together with a large external display at home, I think this is the ultimate balance of portability and power without almost any real compromises. If you don't move your computer around a lot, I'd go for a 15" or 17", but if you're mobile and need to carry your laptop the 13" MBP is a wiser choice. Especially now that firewire is back, the screen is much improved and there is a backlit keyboard!

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Being a college student is no excuse for a 13 inch screen IMO.

If you can't carry around a 15" or 17" then you may want to get checked out by the doctor for muscular dystrophy.

I have no portability issues and am sitting sweet at 1920x1200. I have used my friends' 13" MacBooks and have found the screen area ridiculously small and utterly unusable.

So I guess you don't carry anything else with you when you walk around campus? I guess everyone that buys a MacBook Air must definitely have muscular dystrophy?

I don't carry books with me, but I do carry a Canon PowerShot G series camera along with a Flip Mino HD, an external FW800 drive (2.5") and some notebooks. It all adds up, and having a small laptop is nice.

When I get home, I have a 24" display. It's the best of both worlds.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
Happy with the 13" so far. Nice and sturdy quality to it with the unibody design. And fast. It can be hooked up to an external screen if needed, but I haven't done that yet.

I've gone down in bulk/screen size. I had a 15" MBP and before that the 17" powerbook. Now I have both the 15" MBP as a backup and my new 13" MBP. I wanted a light more portable machine. Considered the Air for a long time, but wanted more than 2GB RAM.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The problem with the 13" MBP is that it looks just too darn small in the store. I wasn't sure what to do. Went with my instincts and ordered the 13" and I couldn't be happier. The 15" is just too big and heavy overall. Too big to sit on the lap, too big to lie down and surf with, too big to carry around from place to place, especially when carrying along the power adaptor and other things like my phone and iPod Touch.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I used to have a 13" MacBook, and I thought it was fine. Now I have a new 15" MacBook Pro and I have to say I like the larger screen better--but the 13" was also fine.

Frankly, the dealbreaker for me was the integrated graphics card in the 13". If it had an option for a 9600GT, I would have bought two. The 9400M isn't enough for what I do and definitely won't be enough come snow leopard and openCL.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
The problem with the 13" MBP is that it looks just too darn small in the store. I wasn't sure what to do. Went with my instincts and ordered the 13" and I couldn't be happier. The 15" is just too big and heavy overall. Too big to sit on the lap, too big to lie down and surf with, too big to carry around from place to place, especially when carrying along the power adaptor and other things like my phone and iPod Touch.

i.e. your budget was tight. :rolleyes:

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I actually returned my 15 for a 13 inch, and I couldn't be happier.

15 is all nice and great, but I actually don't feel like I've lost anything by going with the 13 inch, since I always use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse with it. The 13 inch offers me more portability options that you can't get with the 15 inch.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
But they're not the same, hence the premium price difference and larger screen estate. I therefore stand by what I said, no one should be swayed from the better laptop due to others financial restrictions.

Conversely, don't assume everyone cares about the price difference for 13" vs 15". If the 13" was more expensive than the 15", I'd still get the 13".

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
i.e. your budget was tight. :rolleyes:

Where do you get off insulting people? You have no idea what my financial situation is. Buying the smaller screen MBP has nothing to do with money, as I mentioned in my post that you misquoted I liked the 13" for the size and weight. Don't make assumptions and please don't show your ignorance because you certainly have.
For the record, money certainly wasn't an issue. I bought the 13" 2.53 with 128GB SSD. Did you want a glass of water to wash down your foot?:p

Where the heck is that ignore filter?...Ha, found it, goodbye Shambo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.