Anyone who pre-ordered the 4S have second thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyx3x, Oct 7, 2011.

1. andyx3x macrumors 65816

After taking 2 hours to get my order to go through last night, I started thinking was it smart for me to go ahead and get the 4S with what I suspect is going to happen.

I suspect that Apple is likely to go back to a summer release schedule in 2012 and the next iPhone is likely to be what most of up thought was coming this week. So we're looking at about 8 months from now.

When I woke up a few hours ago, I had gotten an email from Sprint saying that they couldn't process my order until they got some more info from me and that if they didn't hear from me within the next five days, my order would be cancelled.

So, crazy as it may sound, I'm sort of taking this as a sign and am leaning towards not calling them back and just letting the order cancel and then wait until next summer to upgrade.

Is anyone else having second thoughts as well?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I suspect Apple may move to a fall release schedule. I base this on 2 things:

1) iPad release schedule. They want to space the 2 out again
    2) iPod (non)update. It really seems the fall release of the iPods is becoming a non-event going forward. The iPhone could easily slip into this spot.

Another advantage of a fall release is they can keep the momentum going through the holidays.

3. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

If you have a 3GS you should keep the 4S. If you have a 4, just wait until next year. It's not much of a difference for you guys.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I took back my Infuse 4g to Best Buy in order to be able to pre-order the iPhone 4s and they said it will take 3 days to get my upgrade back :mad:

So I have a little bit of time to think about it and I'm starting to feel like maybe this is a sign I should wait on the 4s?

I think I want to see just how much faster the A5 chip is compared to the A4 and also how much better the camera is before placing an order...

5. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

I should have mentioned that I have an iPhone 4. If I had a 3GS, I'm pretty sure that I would get the 4S and never look back.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Guess That Makes Sense

Apart from the A5 and the better camera, maybe waiting does make sense.

Have not ordered yet...Hmmm.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have the iPhone 4 and had second thoughts. I was like, why am I buying a new iPhone that really isn't that much different than my current iPhone? Then I thought about all the cool stuff I could do with it and how my home mutton would actually work again and how crisp it will be and the camera app actually opening when I press on the icon....

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple is now under new management and leadership. Release dates of new products may change and also the designs of these products may not drastically change like they have in the past. Steve Jobs had very little to do with the development of the i4S, maybe that's why there are only minor spec bumps compared to the i4. I guess time will tell.

9. jp700p macrumors regular

I did a little.. but then I saw the prices they are going for on ebay.

If I change my mind, I can easily go back to my iPhone 4 (i'm hanging on to it) and sell the 4S and bank about $100-$150 profit selling it on ebay (minus all the fees).

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I keep saying this, the chips that Apple wants to use for LTE will not be available until Q2. That will push the iPhone launch until late Q3, ie, around this same time. But we'll speculate and bicker this back and forth until summer comes around again.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you have doubts, why not wait for a few days to think about it. You can always order then.:)

12. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, and the phone won't even be out yet. :)

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is completely false. Steve Jobs was very involved in the 4S. In fact, it's also been said he was VERY involved in the next iPhone as well.

Product life cycles on iPhones is most likely around 2 years so this this makes perfect sense.

14. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Apple will want to stick with the fall launch of the iPhones, but it's very possible the next one will be announced Septemberish. I highly doubt a June release of iPhone 6, that would really piss people off. The phone will now be redesigned again to incorporate the 28 nm LTE chips, and those won't be available til Q3 2012.

15. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

This is correct. The 4S was all Steve Jobs and the next iPhone will be as well.

16. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

question. I have a struggling for life 3G and it has completed it's third year. Should i get the 4s?

Lol just joking of course i will get it, it'll be a huge upgrade.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Im having second thoughts. Gonna cancel my preorder, and pay full price for it. That way I can keep my upgrade for the next iPhone.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No second thoughts here. I have a 3GS so this will be a really nice upgrade for me and I'm really looking forward to Siri.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That makes no sense. Keep your pre-order and if the 5 is released early and you still want it, pay the early upgrade fee or sell your 4S to help pay full retail then.

20. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Kind of what sold me. Siri, the speed, and the camera. Plus, 64GB is going to be really nice.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Well my upgrade is now May 2013. Will I have an early upgrade option in June or July of 2012 ?

Or Oct 2012?

When does the early upgrade option come into effect?

my girlfriend upgraded April 2011. She can upgrade again in Nov 2012. Its been 7 months since she upgraded, and she still does not have early upgrade options.

22. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I really think I'm going to settle into an every-other-iPhone plan, and really, I think it makes a lot of sense. It's looking like new iOS versions will support just the last three models, and important hardware updates are every other two, it's just a different sort of hardware update, depending on if you're the number-only track or the S-track.

If you've got a 3GS, get the 4S. If you have a 4, wait for the next iPhone. Personally, I was replacing a 3G this time around, and it was really showing its age, but if I had a 3GS I'd still want to upgrade, and if I had a 4, I wouldn't bother. Similarly, when the next iPhone comes out, I seriously doubt it will be enough of a bump that I'll want it over my still shiny 4S.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hard to say, depends on how much you bill, but there's a good chance the early upgrade will come 12-18 months after this purchase.

It's a better gamble to take the upgrade now. Paying full price now is a waste of money. Your uprade sits there unused, AT&T just continues billing you at the same rate anyway....money down the drain.

Worst case scenario, you sell the 4S to cover the full price of the 5.

24. PPFee macrumors 6502

I am questioning my decision, but mostly based on carrier decision(or lack thereof), either way, especially if you decide to go forward with this order, please P.M. me or update the thread(or both:D) because I have the same message as you do on the order status page and I'm not sure what they want from ME:confused:)Thanks and Good Luck

25. Vazzyb macrumors member

Vazzyb

No because I sold my old 4 for 70% of the price?!