Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
So...photographers like Joe McNally and Bill Frakes that use Aperture, and Catherine Hall and Alan Hess that use Lighroom are amateurs and enthusiasts....huh....whodathunkit....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but quite a number of pro photographers use Aperture and/or Lightroom in combination with other tools (Photoshop CC, plug-ins) for image editing.

Apart from great DAM of aperture I don't see much benefit

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
Personally, I don't need a "new version number" - though that would show commitment on Apple's part. However, I would like lens corrections and adjustments that can be done "in image", like the finger icon for curves in PS. Without starting WWIII, I find the interface of Aperture miles better than Lightroom's modules. I just like to be able to jump around without having to change modules. Often, using Adobe products, I find the icons a bit "mystery meat", in that I don't know for sure what they do. I think their products could be redesigned for the better. For example, I like Camera Raw's ability to produce quick results, but I do find it like working in something made for Windows 98.

At WWDC, I'd like:
- An update (though it doesn't have to have – but likely would have – a new number) and some demo time to showcase the new stuff
- Lens corrections
- The introduction of an "open format" for storing edits, allowing others (including Adobe) to adopt at no cost (yes, I'm dreaming)
- A time-machine to go back and buy Nik before Google did (more realistic than previous idea)
- iOS apps that allow keywording/tagging
- A way for Finder to use Aperture's metadata

What would scare me at WWDC:
- Aperture becoming a free product.

inplainview

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Personally, I don't need a "new version number" - though that would show commitment on Apple's part. However, I would like lens corrections and adjustments that can be done "in image", like the finger icon for curves in PS. Without starting WWIII, I find the interface of Aperture miles better than Lightroom's modules. I just like to be able to jump around without having to change modules. Often, using Adobe products, I find the icons a bit "mystery meat", in that I don't know for sure what they do. I think their products could be redesigned for the better. For example, I like Camera Raw's ability to produce quick results, but I do find it like working in something made for Windows 98.

At WWDC, I'd like:
- An update (though it doesn't have to have – but likely would have – a new number) and some demo time to showcase the new stuff
- Lens corrections
- The introduction of an "open format" for storing edits, allowing others (including Adobe) to adopt at no cost (yes, I'm dreaming)
- A time-machine to go back and buy Nik before Google did (more realistic than previous idea)

- Make up your mind. Do you want an update or not?
- Lens correction = update. Problem solved.
- Open format for storage. DNG (http://terrywhite.com/photographers-dng/)
- We all wish this. NIK is great. Google is evil.
- Why? Aperture is supposed to be a more or less pro tool. iOS isn't so much.
- Why?

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
- Make up your mind. Do you want an update or not?
- Lens correction = update. Problem solved.
- Open format for storage. DNG (http://terrywhite.com/photographers-dng/)
- We all wish this. NIK is great. Google is evil.
- Why? Aperture is supposed to be a more or less pro tool. iOS isn't so much.
- Why?

- I don't care about the number, as in Aperture 4 or Aperture X. They can keep Aperture 3.x.x if they want. For me, a commitment such as some demo time at WWDC is the most important.
- This is not what I asked for. DNG is an alternative to the many raw formats. I'm talking about something where EDITS translate between programs. To be honest, I'd rather have an open raw format that cameras shot in than requiring a conversion to DNG.
- Apple are pushing iOS devices as pro tools more and more. Ads shot and edited on them, specific apps for professions (medical...)
- If Finder could, say, pull out all pics with keyword X, or flagged, it would make my life easier for backups and such.
- If Aperture becomes free, Apple no longer considers it a pro tool and we won't see pro features.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

At WWDC, I'd like:
- Lens corrections

I really do not care about using an iOS app to keyword/tagging. Aperture is already very powerful in allowing multiple people to keyword/geotag/tag/etc in parallel using Macs. All the changes merge into the "master library" when finished. I'd be concerned that anything on iOS would be "dumbed down". If they good a good implementation... then I would be OK... but it is not something that I crave.

About the only thing I would like... that for me would make Aperture "near perfect"... would be rudimentary sharing of my library. I would like the equivalent of "iTunes Home Sharing" for Aperture... where my family could have read-only access to every damn picture I own... in the organization that I create... including the ability to create smart folders, etc. It seems like such a simple request.

/Jim

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
I really do not care about using an iOS app to keyword/tagging. Aperture is already very powerful in allowing multiple people to keyword/geotag/tag/etc in parallel using Macs. All the changes merge into the "master library" when finished. I'd be concerned that anything on iOS would be "dumbed down". If they good a good implementation... then I would be OK... but it is not something that I crave.

About the only thing I would like... that for me would make Aperture "near perfect"... would be rudimentary sharing of my library. I would like the equivalent of "iTunes Home Sharing" for Aperture... where my family could have read-only access to every damn picture I own... in the organization that I create... including the ability to create smart folders, etc. It seems like such a simple request.

/Jim

Adobe beat Apple to the iOS app. I haven't use the Lightroom iPad app but the mere fact it exists and an Aperture one doesn't must embarrass Apple. There are lots of pro situations where a mobile Aperture would be useful. Sure, I'm not expecting heavy edits but culling on location, shooting tethered to an iPad, Aperture library "in the cloud" to view others' imports into a library. I feel that Apple need to show their commitment to pros at this point.

Have you tried the Photoscope iPad app?

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks for the pointer. It looks like a great app. I'll see what happens at WWDC to see if Apple releases an Aperture iOS app. If not, then for sure I'll get Photoscope.

/Jim

No problem. Not sure how well it would wake the Mac up though, if necessary. May need a "wake on lan" app on the iOS device too.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
No problem. Not sure how well it would wake the Mac up though, if necessary. May need a "wake on lan" app on the iOS device too.

My wife and I each keep our iMacs on 24/365. When we walk away from the machine, we just use fast user switching to return us to our login screen, but our primary accounts are still running. If we forget... it just screensaver locks after a short while. Even when we leave for an extended vacation (ex: 10 week sabbatical in 2011)... we remained logged-in to our machines. That way, any data that we create or modify on the road is automatically synced back to our iMacs via Dropbox or other services. Then, it is double backed up locally (Time Machine/Time Capsule) and to the cloud (Crashplan+)

/Jim

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I've never understood the iPad/IOS photo handling app idea. On my rMBP I have a nice Retina screen, a keyboard, a trackpad, and can bluetooth my magic mouse. I cam import, cull, edit, and display. No synching with or relying on another computer or wifi to be available. And importantly for me, I have all my plugins on hand.

I can see the iPad as a monitor for teathered shooting or for showing completed images from the Aperture library. I routinely have iTunes put completed albums on my iPad.

I just don see a streamlined, feature rich, workflow involving an iPad or iPhone. I know I must be missing something. :confused:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I've never understood the iPad/IOS photo handling app idea. On my rMBP I have a nice Retina screen, a keyboard, a trackpad, and can bluetooth my magic mouse. I cam import, cull, edit, and display. No synching with or relying on another computer or wifi to be available. And importantly for me, I have all my plugins on hand.

I can see the iPad as a monitor for teathered shooting or for showing completed images from the Aperture library. I routinely have iTunes put completed albums on my iPad.

I just don see a streamlined, feature rich, workflow involving an iPad or iPhone. I know I must be missing something. :confused:

I have to agree. I use my iMac and Aperture as my main photo editing platform, due to the large 27 inch screen. It's just so much easier than editing in iPhoto for iOS, so like MCAsan, I don't see the point of an iOS version of Aperture.

For my use, the iPad is great for showing photos to friends and colleagues. Editing, not so much. Sure, I'll use iPhoto for iOS for quick and dirty edits and photostream posting when I'm away from my Mac and I want to share photos quickly. But the careful and considered edits and processing wait for when I return and can use Aperture and my Mac.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I agree..

Aperture or Lightroom are consumer based products designed to fit photography amateurs and enthusiasts.

Capture One Pro - is designed specifically for professionals with professional needs.

There is no such thing as a "pro tool". In fact it hardly maters what you use. no one is going to look at you images and say "you are really good, to bad to ruined you work by using a Light Room based work flow." In real life the tools just don't matter that much. It's light, timing, composition and so on. It's generally the beginners who think they need expensive gear and obsess over what lens sharpness and what not.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
There is no such thing as a "pro tool". In fact it hardly maters what you use. no one is going to look at you images and say "you are really good, to bad to ruined you work by using a Light Room based work flow." In real life the tools just don't matter that much. It's light, timing, composition and so on. It's generally the beginners who think they need expensive gear and obsess over what lens sharpness and what not.

Believe me tools do matter making life either easier or hectic. Better tool saves you more time helping you to accomplish better quality much quicker. And we all know time is money

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am trying to remember all the Nikon Mentors and Canon Explorers of Light I have met over the years. All I can remember is a few years ago using Aperture and more recently everyone using LR as their DAM. Can't remember anyone of them mentioning Capture One. But times and technology changes, so anything is possible.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I am trying to remember all the Nikon Mentors and Canon Explorers of Light I have met over the years. All I can remember is a few years ago using Aperture and more recently everyone using LR as their DAM. Can't remember anyone of them mentioning Capture One. But times and technology changes, so anything is possible.

Capture One is what I use religiously. It's the best RAW converter hands down. Design for professional photographers by professionals. It's designed around photographer in mind not mass consumer compare to LR or Aperture. Also it was the first one ever

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
Adobe beat Apple to the iOS app. I haven't use the Lightroom iPad app but the mere fact it exists and an Aperture one doesn't must embarrass Apple. There are lots of pro situations where a mobile Aperture would be useful. Sure, I'm not expecting heavy edits but culling on location, shooting tethered to an iPad, Aperture library "in the cloud" to view others' imports into a library. I feel that Apple need to show their commitment to pros at this point.

Have you tried the Photoscope iPad app?

Yeah, it doesn't do this. You have to import into Lightroom and then sync to the iPad app. I don't really get it. The workflow you mentioned would be perfect.

Lots of people don't (want to) take their laptops with them when they travel. A slick little app would allow me to insert a SD card, use the JPGs to delete the obvious failures (both JPG and RAW). Added points if I can tag and rate the winners, but even that's not really necessary.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010

I have to agree. I use my iMac and Aperture as my main photo editing platform, due to the large 27 inch screen. It's just so much easier than editing in iPhoto for iOS, so like MCAsan, I don't see the point of an iOS version of Aperture.

For my use, the iPad is great for showing photos to friends and colleagues. Editing, not so much. Sure, I'll use iPhoto for iOS for quick and dirty edits and photostream posting when I'm away from my Mac and I want to share photos quickly. But the careful and considered edits and processing wait for when I return and can use Aperture and my Mac.

I see the whole iPad thing this way:
- Apple created the tablet market as we know it, and have a pro tool for photography, but no iOS app that really works well with it. Adobe do, Capture One do. It's true that they don't have (I think) mobile versions of their other pro apps, either FCP or Logic, but these apps use data that is much bigger than photographs.
- In the near future, our main photo libraries will be stored in the cloud.
- The iPad is/will become a more pro device. There will likely eventually be an iPad Pro with a bigger screen.
- Other reasons, such as not surrendering the market to Adobe.

I'm not saying that Apple needs to release Aperture for iOS at WWDC (I'd be happy with updates to Aperture for Mac...) but the iPad could be huge for photography, beyond what iPhoto offers on iOS at present. Even if they just make an app for sharing an iOS library easier with basic keywording, that would be great, but I think that they'd do that only via the cloud. Regular users would love that. For pros, imagine tethered shooting with focus point selection and settings entered on the iPad's screen.

----------

Lots of people don't (want to) take their laptops with them when they travel. A slick little app would allow me to insert a SD card, use the JPGs to delete the obvious failures (both JPG and RAW). Added points if I can tag and rate the winners, but even that's not really necessary.

This would already be a great 1.0. I could see it going eventually further where the iPad uploads pics to the cloud's main library.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008

PhotosInfoPro does this. It works pretty well for importing new images. Load pics from camera connection kit, rate and add ITPC metadata, export to Dropbox as a sidecar file alongside the original RAW. When I get open, open up aperture and import the folder from Dropbox.

It doesn't cover everything in my workflow, but it does a good amount. Unfortunately this only works for adding new images, there doesn't seem to be a good way to change images already in my library. Photoscope handles that side, but it's limited to rating/flagging and must be on the local network.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Lots of people don't (want to) take their laptops with them when they travel.

We can't imagine traveling without our rMBPs. They are not that much larger than our iPads and fit into the back of our Tenba Messenger bags along with all our M43 kits. We travel light thanks to M43, and that still includes our rMBPs. ;)

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

iPhoto for iOS does this, as well as make edits and share.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
iPhoto for iOS does this, as well as make edits and share.

You don't even need iPhoto to import and delete the obvious rejects, just use the Photos app. iPhoto can't handle rating though, just flags and favorites , which do not go anywhere outside of iPhoto as far as I can tell. Plus edits are destructive (you have to save a new file to export off the iPad).

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I will echo some general feelings - wanting an Aperture upgrade for me, anyway, has two goals.

1. A "version" level upgrade reinforces the perception that Apple remains interested in Aperture as a viable product. Yes it has had 3.x upgrades that have been meaningful. But the lack of "version" level upgrades does make it at least SEEM like it's being ignored. Fair? No. Reality...yes...especially as Lightroom has had several.

2. Function - lens correction info would be lovely. Beyond that, I personally don't have a major wish list. Love my Nik plugins...rarely need to think about firing up CS5 unless I need to do some layered work.

So - a whether they call it Aperture 4 or Aperture X...some kind of announcement would be nice...I won't pursue a cloud based model like Adobe, so I'm not going to jump ship to Lightroom regardless...

Come on Apple...throw me a psychological bone here...

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
You don't even need iPhoto to import and delete the obvious rejects, just use the Photos app. iPhoto can't handle rating though, just flags and favorites , which do not go anywhere outside of iPhoto as far as I can tell. Plus edits are destructive (you have to save a new file to export off the iPad).

Correct. iPhoto is useless in aperture workflow though.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
2. Function - lens correction info would be lovely. Beyond that, I personally don't have a major wish list. Love my Nik plugins...rarely need to think about firing up CS5 unless I need to do some layered work.

But Aperture does do lens correction when it sees the lens correction data in the raw file. One of the many benefits of Micro Four Thirds, the raw file has the lens correction data included. Aperture and does not have tables/files of lens profiles to apply corrections for M43. Check the Adobe site for lens corrections in ACR or LR and you will not find M43 lenses listed. There is not need for external tables and files.

So if you want lens corrections within Aperture 3, move to the much more advanced standard of M43 where lens corrections and interoperability between different brands is all part of the system. http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/index.html. Otherwise, you will need to use a plugin to do lens corrections. Of course this may all change in any new Aperture 4/X release.

Aperture 3 does act on the lens correction data in M43 raw files. The following from Apple shows that Aperture can act on lens correction data when it gets it in the raw file.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT200086?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.