Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tenlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Hi everyone,

So I bought a pair of APM, coming from the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless. First thing I noticed was that the Airpods Max are definitely a bit "quieter" when it comes to volume. The M3s are very loud headphones. That's not a big issue when listening to Apple Music as music is more than sufficiently loud for me there.

It is kind of a problem though with certain videos sometimes: If a YouTube video is recorded fairly quiet, I have to crank up the volume really high to get sufficient volume for my liking. Yesterday, I watched a football match with them on the iPad Pro using the "Sky Ticket" app here in Germany and the volume at 100%, while fairly loud, was not as loud as I would like them to be at this volume level. With the Momentums, I could never go higher than 80% max as it otherwise simply was too loud.

All the volume limitations and settings in iOS are off btw, EQ is off - so it's not an issue with that.

Do you guys feel like the APM could sometimes or in some situations need a little bit more "headroom" as far as volume goes? Especially for videos or apps (that don't support Spatial Audio)?

Thanks!

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Hi everyone,

So I bought a pair of APM, coming from the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless. First thing I noticed was that the Airpods Max are definitely a bit "quieter" when it comes to volume. The M3s are very loud headphones. That's not a big issue when listening to Apple Music as music is more than sufficiently loud for me there.

It is kind of a problem though with certain videos sometimes: If a YouTube video is recorded fairly quiet, I have to crank up the volume really high to get sufficient volume for my liking. Yesterday, I watched a football match with them on the iPad Pro using the "Sky Ticket" app here in Germany and the volume at 100%, while fairly loud, was not as loud as I would like them to be at this volume level. With the Momentums, I could never go higher than 80% max as it otherwise simply was too loud.

All the volume limitations and settings in iOS are off btw, EQ is off - so it's not an issue with that.

Do you guys feel like the APM could sometimes or in some situations need a little bit more "headroom" as far as volume goes? Especially for videos or apps (that don't support Spatial Audio)?

Thanks!
isn't there a limit on volume that's permitted in the EU? I have a pair of Momentum wireless 2 and for me in the US sometimes i can't make them high enough.

tenlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Yes, there is but that's only for DAPs and not for headphones. The Momentum 3 Wireless for example go earpiecingly loud on the same devices. I also had the Momentum True Wireless 2 (the buds) and they were on the other hand also very quiet up until 70%+ volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.