Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HahaHaha321

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Congrats, but isn't a $10,000 iTunes giftcard a bit overboard? Is it possible to use an iTunes giftcard on the Apple Store website for other products, or is it only to be used on the iTunes Store, App Store and Mac App Store?

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
thats all?

considering how much money apple has it boggles me how few give aways they have... also the amount of money given is laughable. What was their profit this year so far and all they gave was $10,000.00? IN A GIFT CERTIFICATE!!

HahaHaha321

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
considering how much money apple has it boggles me how few give aways they have... also the amount of money given is laughable. What was their profit this year so far and all they gave was $10,000.00? IN A GIFT CERTIFICATE!!

In these economic times $10,000 isn't enough for you? Sure glad you didn't win. :p

As I stated above, I really hope the giftcard could be used on other products. Because otherwise it would be a terrible waste.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
In gaming there is just one game worth it, the rest are crap. The same with the rest of the categories.

Right. Lux Touch.
Or Egnimo
Or XPlane
Or Fuzzle
Or Tanagrams
Or Air Hockey
Or Bubble Bay
Or BattleShip
Or Scrabble
Or CannonGame
Or CubesLight
Or Geared
Or CrazyMachine
Or Cro-Mag
Or Chess
Or Checkers
Or Scrabble
Or Expando
Or Monopoly
Or Moonlights
Or Morocco
Or about a thousand other great games...

Same for the other categories. There are an amazing number great Apps.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

iLilana said:

Yeah because Apple HAVE to do these things. And they HAVE to give away huge chunks of their income.

Jesus, get real.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm not really surprised it hit 10 Billion faster than the iTunes store, so many free apps, no free music that I know of in iTunes.
They've had a free music download on the storefront for years. They also have a "Discovery Download" for even lesser known artists. Often they have a Latino song as well. They change every week.

This week are songs by Donnis, Social Distortion, The Downtown Fiction, and Elis Paprika.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.21052/22.453; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Hah. I tried to stay up to have my one in 10,000 chance..if that counter was accurate..

for whoever won..wished it was an apple gift card instead :)

I really hope it wasnt because I enterend early then forgot haha

yearofthe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Earth
Anybody noticed since the launch of the iPhone 4, from that time-to-here, it took half the downloads. I know you shouldn't be surprised or anything, but still.

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
I'm not really surprised it hit 10 Billion faster than the iTunes store, so many free apps, no free music that I know of in iTunes.

And that's exactly why the winner will get $10,000 iTunes gift card!

Bump up the numbers of downloads so they can brag about it in the next keynote lol

Quite impressive! I wouldn't have thought they would hit 10 billion this fast!

Congratulations to the winner though!

And, if they ever reach 100 billion, do you think they will be giving out a $100,000 iTunes card? :rolleyes:

Not a chance. In amongst all Apples billions and billions dollars profit do you really think they will give the customer that amount of prize????
SJ and Apple are like every other greedy company and dont give 2 ***** about the customer. Heck, I bet ya that 10,000 dollar gift card has been donated by SJ's penny jar made up of pennies scrubbed from the backside of his sofa. SJ= Greedy b4574rd just like the rest of em...

Last edited by a moderator:

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
if i remember correctly, didn't they give out $10,000 and a macbook pro and maybe a few other things for the 1 billion app download?

speedfreak007

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
the winner could make a 10000 dollar app, put in in the appstore, buy it himself and get 7000 dollar in cash :)

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Not a chance. In amongst all Apples billions and billions dollars profit do you really think they will give the customer that amount of prize????
SJ and Apple are like every other greedy company and dont give 2 ***** about the customer. Heck, I bet ya that 10,000 dollar gift card has been donated by SJ's penny jar made up of pennies scrubbed from the backside of his sofa. SJ= Greedy b4574rd just like the rest of em... Dont get so excited and dont be so quick to blow smoke up his ass. He dont give 2 sh175 about you sonny!

Anyone else see the comedy in some guy using "b4574rd" and "sh175" calling someone else "sonny"?
:rolleyes:

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

speedfreak007 said:
the winner could make a 10000 dollar app, put in in the appstore, buy it himself and get 7000 dollar in cash :)

Well aren't you a clever one!

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Congrats, but isn't a $10,000 iTunes giftcard a bit overboard? Is it possible to use an iTunes giftcard on the Apple Store website for other products, or is it only to be used on the iTunes Store, App Store and Mac App Store?

interesting observation! probably the itunes store..... clever apple, they also take/get 30% of the "gift" hehehe

BrotherBeagle

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010

Agreed.

Apple would've been much better off giving away Apple gear that would make use of future iTunes/App store purchases (think a 27" iMac, 13/15" Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV). Overall actual dollar value (as a straight giveaway) would have been less than $10k, but the actual value would've been much more.

Not to mention... I have no idea of how I could even spend $10k via iTunes and App store. Probably why I was completely unmoved to try participate.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.