Apparently this is a terrible time to sell an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

have had mine on Craigslist for a week and haven't gotten a single response. I've never gotten such a lackluster response when selling Apple products. Wow

2. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

What sort of model, capacity and price? Are you charging much more than the competition? (Regardless of how amazing quality yours is etc, just based on model and capacity)

3. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

I got £160.00 for a 16GB Mini 2 which considering the fact Apple are selling it for £219 I call a good return!

4. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I was charging $520 for a wifi space grey iPad Air 2 128 gb and including a Smart Cover and Apple wireless keyboard. I thought that was reasonable in comparison to other listings. What do you think?

5. MacPro2014 macrumors member

I think that is a high price for the current market. Last week most stores had new iPads at same specs at similar prices or with gift cards (which would allow them to get accessories).

Personally, I would agree that the price is reasonable/comparable had it been a few months back. Now...you may have to lower the price of you want to move it faster in the next week or so.

6. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Ah I see. What do you think is more reasonable?

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-air-2-wifi

I'd say $450 at the most. Accessories don't really increase the value of what you're trying to sell. Most people would look at the base product and try to get the best price for that, regardless of accessories.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Exactly.

In my opinion, the window for getting a decent selling price on an Air 2 has closed. At least for the next month. There have been killer deals on Air 2 for the last 2 months ($100-$150 off and more). Black Friday deals were just about as good.

People looking for an Air 2 over the next 30 days will most likely want it new since it will most likely be a gift. That'll go on until Jan 1st.

After that, people who have some money (received as gifts during the holidays) will be looking to spend it. There won't be any sales at the beginning of January. You might try re-listing it after the 1st week in January. As for the price... you could try $500.

9. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Well...its lower than I would've hoped but can't expect people to pay too much when these things are being sold everywhere. You would be shocked at the range of prices I see them for on Craigslist. They're just all over the place from $480 ish to upwards of $600 for the same model.

I've changed my ad to $450. Hopefully I get damn response this time! I want my iPad pro!

Ah....I remember the days when I would put an iPad on Craigslist and within an hour emails from interested buyers would come flooding in. My oh my have times changed.

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It's a supply and demand game (which unfortunately the scalpers know all too well :mad:).

For best profits, buy and sell an iPhone on launch day, or more recently the Pencil and keyboard :cool:.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

It doesn't help that people just saw the Airw BF discounts. Even if they saw just the 16GB model on sale.. They don't get caught up on details.

12. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I missed some of the better sales but I picked up a new 128GB white/gold WiFi Air 2 for $574.99 plus an Apple Smart Cover for $25.99 at Best Buy.

13. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Honestly I'd wait for these crazy iPad Air 2 deals to wear thin. You'll snag a buyer desperate for s Christmas present.

14. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I just sold an Air 128 SG with smart cover for C$400 today but yhat was through a local Mac user forum.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

GameStop is only offering $92 cash for an iPad Mini 2 32 GB WiFi. I think I'll be holding onto mine.

16. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

After putting over $25,000 worth of previous gen electronics and camera gear (photographers, sheesh, amirite?) through the secondhand market, I'd say you should always sell accessories separately or not at all (in the case that it's just not worth your time.) I swear it's paradoxical, but, I get better responses when I don't include anything beyond what was in the box originally. It's like, when you add stuff on, people get confused or worried or something. Dunno.

17. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Selling your electronics to a company like GameStop is basically willfully enabled theft. You'd probably get more just sending it to eBay for their valet service.

18. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

People buying the devices generally don't actually want the accessories you have. They may want different accessories, or none at all, or they haven't done accessory research yet and aren't ready to decide. I'm not sure how that applies in photo gear, but I assume it's similar.

Including accessories with a device sale is like adding free gifts. 95% of people who look at the ad don't want that stuff, but it may catch their attention if it doesn't increase the price.

19. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

That...sounds weird as hell when you think about it but there might be something to it. After a week of not getting a single response, I'm tempted to change my ad to just "iPad" and nothing else as a social experiment. What if that's when I get a response? How weird would that be?

I'm doing it

20. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I think 128gb may be a little overkill for most iPad customers when being price conscious especially for customer shopping in the 2nd hand market looking for a deal. Just my opinion.

Also when it comes to accessories it helps to have the accessory a high end brand name also. Amazon is providing deals on most iOS accessories so it's hard to add the accessories into the price when a customer can get a brand new version elsewhere.

That being said I'm in the market for an iPad Air 2 more in the $400 range. Rarely see them on Craigslist at least for a 64gb model.

21. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I'm selling my 128 gig air 2 for $450 now. If nobody bites...I think I'll just take down the ad and use it as a fancy coaster for guests

22. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Just sold my 64gb same Air 2 for $425 on Swappa. Sold in less than a day.

23. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

$450 shipped?

24. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Sure with tracking and insurance

25. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Let me sell this unlocked space grey 6 Plus 64gb iPhone first on Craigslist...

Great price