Apple Accidentally Allowed Downgrades All the Way Back to iOS 6 Early Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

I purchased a new iPhone 5 on eBay for that reason. I keep it sitting on my desk along with my other vintage Apple products when I want to remember the good ol’ days. :)

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Question..... do the ones who downgraded open themselves to viruses and other security vulnerabilities?

3. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

They were floating a trial ballon to see if anyone really wanted to downgrade. Tim didn't believe the engineers that said if it was available to the public they would rush to downgrade. Tech point was made and to save embarrassment Tim promptly fired him.

4. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Arrogant Forstall thought he was next Steve Jobs. Wrong! If he knew his place and did collaborate with other senior execs, he would have still his job today.

5. MrGuder macrumors 68020

No one is even saying HOW an iPhone user would even downgrade from iOS 11 to 6, so Apple opens the window and how does one go about downgrading? Open iTunes hook up your phone and how would you go from 11 to 6? Also no one is even saying how cust's would even know Apple opened a window.

6. Altis macrumors 68030

I'd take my iPhone 6 back to iOS 9.3 in a heartbeat if I could. iOS 10/11 are quite bad on it.

Pretty bummed I missed out on this.

My 4S got back to iOS 6 and it runs sweet as a nut.

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I kept my iPhone 6s on iOS 9 ever since I bought it brand new, I have 9.3.5 on it and never upgraded to 10 or 11. Both me and my phone are happy on 9.3.5. I works butter smooth and most of all I love the music app on 9.3.5. I'm still on my original battery and it's at 76% battery health. I'm going to wait till summer and get the battery replaced thru the reduced price this way I'll be sure it won't register a false positive on Apples diagnostic.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

You've got it figured out, my friend.

I got forced up to 10 by the Apple store. FeelsBadMan

9. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Too bad Apple didn't accidentally release the internal iOS 11 versions for iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, & 5C devices. Or accidently release the internal version of iOS 11 that doesn't slow down all devices before iPhone 8 & X. Or accidentally release a version of iOS 11 that runs 32 bit apps.
    Then everyone would happily upgrade to iOS 11 and have the latest emoticons and Apple Pay.

10. goshya macrumors member

goshya

iOS 11 is rubbish. What would I give to revert back to iOS 10... :rolleyes:

11. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Such an underrated point of discussion IMO.

12. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

13. Mizouse macrumors regular

Wish I had known too. Would've downgraded my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 6 or 7.

I regret updating it to iOS 8 and will defineitly not update it to iOS 9.

It's so frustrating to use that it's basically an alarm clock for me.

Also would've downgraded my old iPhone 6 Plus to 10.2 or even iOS 9. I was forced to update it to 10.3.3 when I requested a carrier unlock with AT&T.

My iPhone 7 Plus is staying on 10.3.3 until I replace it with a newer device.

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I imagine everyone who wants to stay on the old version of IOS mainly uses the stock apps or are not big users of the App Store.

Software and Technology has advanced so much since even iOS 9 I can’t imagine seeing a “not compatible with this version of iOS” message.

I do miss the old version of iTunes Radio though.

15. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Frankly, there should be an archive of older iOS versions and the third party app versions that functioned on them. Especially, since it’s now evident that phone hardware doesn’t degrade like we thought. I would be content with any of my former phones if I had replaced their batteries and not updated apps when they were optimized for newer hardware.

16. Bigg Macc macrumors newbie

Bigg Macc

Of course it was an accident. Apple would not allow consumers to unthrottle their own phones without paying.

17. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Nope. I use apps from the App Store and I'd like to downgrade a few of my older iPads. In addition, I have quite a few apps that were pulled from the App Store but don't run on iOS 11 (32-bit) that I'd like to run on those older devices.

18. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I'm keeping my 7 on ios 10.3.3 and I haven't run into a single app compatibility issue on the dozens I have installed.

Sadly my desire for the latest procreate update drove me to iOS 11 on my iPad Pro, but I find the overall experience so unpleasant I'd give up the admittedly awesome new procreate features to roll back. :(

19. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Does everyone understand what's really going on underneath all of this? What's happened today opens a whole another set of questions and theories.

What's happened today confirms that Apple still supports these older versions of iOS and more importantly people were able to downgrade with no issues.

This is huge because Apple wants us to think our older phones are no longer any good on an older version of iOS. The reason so many are so quick to jump on the newest version of iOS. There's a reason why Apple wants you to upgrade your iOS and it's not because of the new features. That's the incentative but now we know that they have throttled speed.

If Apple is still supporting all these prior versions of iOS then why can't they just allow the customer to choose which iOS works best for their phone and downgrade at your choosing.

It's made me realize that keeping my 6s on iOS 9.3.5 was the best choice for me, my phone is still incredibly fast, sure I'm missing out on all the features in iOS 11 but at the end of the day my phone still does what's it's intended to do, runs fast and works buttery smooth all the time every time I turn it on.

I can now with certainty say that the best iOS is the iOS that was released on my iPhone 6s and that's iOS 9. I've been using my phone all day on the same charge from last night, it's not been plugged in since I took it off charge this morning at 7:15 am and it's now 10:05 pm and I've got 32% battery left. That's incredible for a 6s with the original battery on 9.3.5 that I've had for over 2 yrs.

20. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Still a happy camper with my 4S at 6.1.3.
    They can put a bullet in my head and I would still not get the 4S out of iOS 6.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing about that is new as it's been like this for a long time.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Are you sure you didn't forget to back up everything before downloading the new OS?

23. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

with a bullet in your head you would be unable to. . .

24. Altis macrumors 68030

Because Apple makes most of their money from people buying iPhones and people buying apps, made by devs who can't be bothered to support a few iOS versions.

It's unfortunate. My 6 ran so well on iOS 9, and is now a bit of a dog on iOS 10 -- 11 was worse yet.

25. Avenged110, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Ha, I so wasn't prepared for this, but was ecstatic nonetheless. Thanks to ipsw.me's notifications, I restored to a fresh version of iOS 6.1.3 on my iPad 2 and updated my iPod touch 5th gen. from 6.0.1 to 6.1.3 (better lockscreen music ftw). Fortunately all my devices that support it were already on iOS 6, but this was still a very nice opportunity. I really wish there was a way to get a leaner, simpler version of iOS 6 more akin to iOS 4, but keep the performance and beautiful UI.

Ftr as of right now, iOS 6.1.3 for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S is still being signed.
    Can confirm iOS 6 on iPad 3 is fantastic.
    That's what I did.
    That was the other half of Apple users.