Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Acknowledges 10.5.6 'Configuring Installation' Issue

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple released a technote detailing an issue that some users have run into while installing the latest Mac OS X Software Update.
When attempting to update software using Software Update in Mac OS X 10.5, the update process may stop responding while "Configuring installation" is visible in the update window.
Apple describes that this may happen when trying to install a partially downloaded update. The work-around is to remove the partially downloaded update and try again. The incomplete update files may be found in "/Library/Updates" and can be safely deleted before trying Software Update again.

Alternatively, users can download the Combo update (list here) and install it themselves.

It seems that the bug resulting in the partially downloaded file affects Mac OS X 10.5.1 through 10.5.5. Once you successfully installed 10.5.6, the issue seems to be fixed for future updates.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges 10.5.6 'Configuring Installation' Issue

Nov 6, 2007
I wonder if this is the cause of my long boot up. since 10.5.6 my system beachballs for 1-2 minutes while starting up. otherwise it is fine.

other than that I had been 8 months without a problem.

Comment

stefanski

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
Australia
I had exactly this problem on my MBP. And I can confirm that it was because of an only partly downloaded file. After deleting it and re-running the update, all is well.

Comment

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I am getting the blue screen of terror un start up.

I just have the same problem. I got a new Mac Pro last week and I upgraded it and now when I boot up the machine it takes about 4 minutes, the screen stays blue for at least 4 to 5 minutes.

At first I rebooted the machine twice, then I was searching in the internet for the problem on another machine and all of the sudden it was ok.

My sugestion, do not update your OS, there are actually no improvements.

Comment

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My update downloaded completely, or so it stated, but when I tried to install something to the effect, "couldn't verify software ..., contact software company for help."
I deleted the download from library>updates. Worked fine a secondtime.

Comment

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
I had this exact problem with safari 3.2.1, but not 10.5.6. I ended up solving the safari problem by downloading the dmg from apple.com and installing it from there

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Didn't suffer from this luckily.

Pretty shocking that this happened though.

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I can't even tell if anything is different in 10.5.6. Mail.app still doesn't always beep when new mail comes in. My airport still only works with some wifi networks but fails to connect to certain open wifi networks that 10.3 machines and Vista machines can connect to. etc.

Did 10.5.6 actual improve anything for anyone?

Comment

pete-01

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
isn't the combo update overkill? isn't there also a standalone update that updates just 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? Doesn't the combo update update 10.5.1-10.5.5 to 10.5.6?

i keep seeing this advice to use the combo update in these scenarios, but the non-combo update (not through software update) did not show this issue, did it? it was just the update that software update was propagating.

Comment

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
pretty shocking that it took several days for Apple to respond with instructions. And yes, don't download this 'fix' unless you have a problem. And, even if you do, it's likely not going to help. more grief than it's worth.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
isn't the combo update overkill? isn't there also a standalone update that updates just 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? Doesn't the combo update update 10.5.1-10.5.5 to 10.5.6?

i keep seeing this advice to use the combo update in these scenarios, but the non-combo update (not through software update) did not show this issue, did it? it was just the update that software update was propagating.

The combo will replace all system files with those updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6. When a single update causes problems, the combo updater usually fixes it.

The normal updater through Software Update had this issue, but it only affected a certain number of people.

If you are cautious, just download the combo updater. It won't do any damage..

Comment

Nov 6, 2007
The combo will replace all system files with those updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6. When a single update causes problems, the combo updater usually fixes it.

The normal updater through Software Update had this issue, but it only affected a certain number of people.

If you are cautious, just download the combo updater. It won't do any damage..

Explains why the software update showed 191 mb an the combo update is showing almost 700mb.

Explain cautious :confused: this is my frist time using combo update, since I seem to have a slow startup problem. It is a dmg package - does that not just open up and install like any other dmg's?

also, when i first did the 10.5.6, I noticed to that the trackpad had it's own sytem preference. Not sure, but it looks like they added an option or two? here's to hoping for multi-touch coming to older macbooks through a software update.

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I wonder if this is the cause of my long boot up. since 10.5.6 my system beachballs for 1-2 minutes while starting up. otherwise it is fine.

other than that I had been 8 months without a problem.
That is not the issue being described by this article.
Explains why the software update showed 191 mb an the combo update is showing almost 700mb.
No, combo updates are always much larger than the Software Update ones, because they contain everything. 190Mb is the correct size for the 10.5.6 updater on some platforms.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Explain cautious :confused: this is my frist time using combo update, since I seem to have a slow startup problem. It is a dmg package - does that not just open up and install like any other dmg's?

also, when i first did the 10.5.6, I noticed to that the trackpad had it's own sytem preference. Not sure, but it looks like they added an option or two? here's to hoping for multi-touch coming to older macbooks through a software update.

If you are a cautious person and are paranoid about all of this, then apply the combo update so you can sleep at night ;)

Apple did this to keep all their laptops have similar System Preferences. The old MacBook's don't have the hardware to support multi-touch (other than two finger scrolling).

Apple would never update old products to support what the new products offer. They don't work that way - the Genius feature on the iPod, the Multi-Touch MacBook Pro's and MacBook Air's (pre late-2008 models) that are yet to see an official update to support 4 finger swiping.

Comment

Nov 6, 2007
I just have the same problem. I got a new Mac Pro last week and I upgraded it and now when I boot up the machine it takes about 4 minutes, the screen stays blue for at least 4 to 5 minutes.

Not exactly my problem. my displays my wallpaper and my icons. then it beachballs for 1-2 minutes while loading my menu bar. Nothing new was added before the 10.5.6 - all my software was already installed when I did the 10.5.6. I deleted the file in the folder mentioned and am downloading the combo now. Quite hefty, so this is gonna take a while.

UPDATE:

*Hmm - must have been my problem, a partial update; yet my symptoms were different and did not appear as a partial. I did the combo and the first reboot took forever and sent my fans racing. Now, it boots up quickly., and my menu bar loads a lot quicker and no beach balls.

Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Didn't suffer from this luckily.

Pretty shocking that this happened though.

Why is that shocking? These things can happen. I have a windows PC that keeps installing the same update everytime I turn it off. Now that's annoying. At least Apple provides a standard workaround for this.

It's annoying I think, but nothing more than that...

Comment

Kar98

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
Bull. 10.5.6 fixed several annoying bugs for me, including the "Mail won't quit" one.

Right. Now it actually quits all by itself when trying to reply/quote to messages sent from Hotmail that have remotely linked images* embedded.

*smileys stored at the hotmail servers

Comment

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
It's really quite simple. I'm always amazed at the impatience and ignorance surrounding these updates. First, Apple is not God though lord knows it sometimes seems so. Operating system code is a complex enterprise. The process is not infallible. Third party applications, obscure code glitch's and untidy users can affect the code stream. 99.99% percent of the time all goes well. One has to remember, OS X, Windows XP, Vista, Linux and even flavors of Unix are constantly tweaked and built upon. They are not finished systems.
Between updates, Apple, just as Microsft, offer security patches, application tweaks ect. Most conscientious users install these updates when offered. Many do not, particularly those with dial up or slow speed connections. Indeed, many never install these updates, content using 10.5 or even earlier versions of OS X. When a update is offered, say 10.5.6, it is meant to install on top of 10.5.5 as a stand alone update. Systems are amazingly robust reliable. Common sense dictates, over periods of time a bit or two may corrupt on the the hard drive. One may not notice until an update when a specific operation is called up. To eliminate trouble and inconsistency over time, keep your system current and keep your desktop organized. Multiple files on the desktop slows boot time. Organize them in folders. If you have neglected previous updates, security patches ect, download the Combo Update from the Apple downloads page. Those with slow connections I feel your pain but that is not Apple's fault. Do your download overnight. Regular
and consistent updates keep your system optimized. One more caveat. Be the first on the block to install to an update if you must. I usually do but I take responsibility for my actions, a rare thing theses days. My advice is to wait a day or two and see how things shake out with early adopters. When the coast is clear update.

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
My PowerMac G5 took the update like a champ but my MacBook has been acting like a short circuiting droid, getting all pissy with me. Software Update crashes on launch, tried downloading the combo update but keep getting the same codec error.

The HDD has been acting up on the MacBook since June so I am thinking I've got some bad sectors on the disk and I need to just swap out the drive for a newer, larger one. I've reformatted this one probably 6 times since buying it back in May '06 due to glitches. It's time.....

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Right. Now it actually quits all by itself when trying to reply/quote to messages sent from Hotmail that have remotely linked images* embedded.

*smileys stored at the hotmail servers
I'm sure you give more details in the bug report you submitted to Apple. Right?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.