Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Everything was fine with mine too!

A few people say they are not bothered with it because "it hasn't done anything" ... I'm sure a lot happens behind your desktop - maybe you don't notice the difference between every 10.5.x update, but go back to using 10.5 for while, then update to 10.5.6 and you will see the differences these updates clearly make.

and it doesn't have to be a major change, don't expect a brand new os with it, for example I was happy that this update stopped microsoft word text being copied into iChat im's as a picture, it's good that they would improve something small but annoying like that.

trevu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2005
Málaga
what about the 10.4.11 update?

That installed itself via Software Update and left my Macbook on the white startup screen and twirly thing for hours. Nothing could fix it for me, even delving into the terminal and trying all sorts of fixes all over the net.
It took an archive and install to sort it out.

If that had happened a day earlier Apple would have been in my black book forever.....incredible that an official update can just paralyse your entire machine!!

Soat

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Installed on two Early 08 MBPs and a Unibody MBP, smooth installs.

Only problem I'm seeing is a SLIGHT reoccurance of the Black Screen of Death on my Unibody, but only during weird situations, like running 3 processes of World of Warcraft simultaneously while plugging in my iPhone with iTunes closed (and thus launching yet another bloated process). I should stop stressing my hardware...

yuhaii

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
Just remind you guys to backup your data. I have a bad experience for that!!!! My update has the exactly problem. I took my macbook air to the genius bar. The guy installed combo updates too. But It came to the end that My harddriver is failure. i can't start up my computer anymore. Before restart, verify the disk shows "invalid key length". The genius bar guy told me that I have to change my harddriver. How is it possible to come out this way?:(

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I always use the combo update and have never had a problem on two Macs. I just close all open apps before installing the update and I haven't had anything go awry yet.

Edit: As the poster above me says, it's a good idea to back up before any major update. I do that too.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah I had this problem, tried it twice before checking the downloaded update size which was something around 60MB, as apposed to Software Updates 190MB. So I re-downloaded and its been fine since. Touchwood.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
5.6 is so goddamn broken, it makes 5.5 look good. Jesus. absolutely terrible.

Really? What issues you having?

I've had no issues at all with 10.5.6. Extremely stable, if not slightly more responsive than 10.5.5.

MARCHAND

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
Bakersfield
Do Perform Os Update.

As mentioned below. Delete previous files and download the full Combo updater. First run permissions repairs always before doing an update. Second install the combo updater and all will be good.

The note that states do not run update and there are no improvements in this update is simply grossly incorrect. There are substantial fixes in this update and there always is. Always RUN APPLE UPDATES These guys do not spend hours upon hours creating updates of no value.

Often problems come from poorly maintained machines or poorly installed updates. If you follow the above Protocol you will avoid a lot of issues created by latency connections.
Best Wishes

dylanschafer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
how do I do all that?

I cannot, for the life of me, find the updates folder. also, how am I supposed to reset permissions or whatever? I need to gt this fixed and don't want to come off as stupid, but this is really aggravating. I guess I need step-by-step tutelage.

I've included a screen shot of my library where the folder should be

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 76

dylanschafer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
tried that

yeah, I tried that. the installer and itunes won't open, so I can't install the combo update or any other for that matter.

could it be...I'm running 10.4.11. apple prompted me to update to 10.5.6. I can't do that can I? maybe I stupidly just hit update, but then again why should such an update even be an option on my laptop?

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
yeah, anyone know how to remove the update 10.5.6 so I can get back to 10.4.11?

Apple 10.5 is Leopard. 10.4.11 is Tiger. You have to buy the upgrade Leopard Disk which will update your system to 10.5. From 10.5 you can apply the 10.5 updates. If you want to go back to Tiger, use the install disk Tiger to revert.
Why would you want to do that?

tj8

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
this update ballsed up my macbook, completely ruined the whole thing. so badly, that i had to restart the whole thing from scratch, with the installation discs and all that. luckily i do back up some files, but not all of my films and music so that has all had to be completely put on again. im noooooooooo using this installation until its confirmed as bug-free, or the newest one comes out.

was very annoying and time consuming.

dylanschafer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
my software updater told me to install 10.5.6. not cool, I know. but I need to go back to 10.4.11. or find a way to remove 10.5.6. ideas?

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
this update ballsed up my macbook, completely ruined the whole thing. so badly, that i had to restart the whole thing from scratch, with the installation discs and all that. luckily i do back up some files, but not all of my films and music so that has all had to be completely put on again. im noooooooooo using this installation until its confirmed as bug-free, or the newest one comes out.

was very annoying and time consuming.

Helpful hint: Back up regularly. OS X Leopard has automatic backup called Time Machine. Use it.

Nov 6, 2007
I cannot, for the life of me, find the updates folder. also, how am I supposed to reset permissions or whatever? I need to gt this fixed and don't want to come off as stupid, but this is really aggravating. I guess I need step-by-step tutelage.

I've included a screen shot of my library where the folder should be

Interesting mine is there :confused: At first I was confused and went to the /system/library (shows you how much I get deep under the hood :eek:). But I guess that is I had no problems up to now, and not having to look is a good thing.

all those people who said to me "that is not what the article said" , "or that is not the symptom". well, I cannot explain before the 10.5.6 software update why my system was fine, after the update I got the beachballs when booting and loading my menu bar. then after I deleted the update and applied the combo - i went back to being all fine and dandy.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I get a lot of this on Windows (1/2 machines messing up after autoupdates, the other 1/2 machines are fine). Went through a streak a few months back where every Windows update during a 2-month time hosed mine and several other PC's.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
The shocking thing isn't that it happens, but that when it does, it is not acknowledged by the system.

I had repeated partial downloads (this was early on - I had to research it to find a fix), and while it was downloading, it would suddenly 'finish', expand AND verify. How can it verify, when the size was totally wrong? That's the scary part.

Nov 6, 2007
Helpful hint: Back up regularly. OS X Leopard has automatic backup called Time Machine. Use it.

Question on that note. Does time machine due a full hard drive backup, or only certain files? since I use my macbook a lot, it seems at times some backups take longer than others to run. Can I include othe drives? I am thinking about buying a 1 tb network drive and then converting the USB drive I have now to a data drive. that should be more than enough for my music, movies, etc. and then when I travel, only have my work essential items on it.

tj8

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Helpful Hint: Try not to sound like a smarmy know it all when giving advice. Some of us can't afford an external hard-drive when the laptop sets you back quite a bit already.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
Happened with combo updater as well.

This happened on my 2.0GHz Powermac G5 when I took it from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, even though I used the combo updater. On second try, with the same .dmg file, it worked. My Macbook Pro updated without issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.