Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSDSTNY

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018

Apple has acknowledged a microphone issue affecting a limited number of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models running iOS 11.3 or later.

iphone-7-call-800x436.jpg

In an internal document distributed to Apple Authorized Service Providers this week, obtained by MacRumors, Apple said affected customers may experience a grayed-out speaker button during phone calls. The issue may also prevent affected customers from being heard during phone calls or FaceTime video chats.

Apple Authorized Service Providers have been instructed to first ask customers to disconnect or power off any Bluetooth headsets or other audio accessories connected to their iPhone to see if that alleviates the problem.

If the speaker button remains grayed out during a call, the service providers have been instructed to run audio diagnostics. Affected devices will display a "device could not detect dock" or "accessory not supported" alert in the diagnostic pane, in which case the service provider can initiate a repair for the iPhone.

If an affected iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus is no longer covered by warranty, Apple says its service providers can request an exception for this particular issue. Apple's document does not specify if the repairs will be completed free of charge, but it seems likely given the circumstances.

While this does not appear to be a widespread problem, there are have been some complaints about microphone issues on iOS 11.3 scattered across MacRumors, Reddit, Twitter, and the Apple Support Communities in recent months.

It's unclear why iOS 11.3 and subsequent software versions are unintentionally disabling microphones on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units. Apple mentions that some of the devices may require a repair, suggesting the software update could somehow be causing a hardware defect, but information is lacking.

Affected customers can schedule an appointment with an Apple Authorized Service Provider or with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store via the Contact Apple Support page: iPhone -> Repairs & Physical Damage -> Unable to Hear Through Receiver or Speakers -> Built-in Speaker -> Bring In For Repair.

Apple has not confirmed this issue publicly, but MacRumors has verified the document's authenticity with a reliable source. However, outside of our control, some Apple employees may be unaware of or deny the information. In that event, we recommend escalating your case to a senior AppleCare advisor if possible.

MacRumors has reached out to Apple for clarity on this issue. If and when we hear back, we'll update this article.

Relevant: Apple's support document titled Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Microphone Issue With Some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Models on iOS 11.3 and Later
[doublepost=1532587004][/doublepost]So I was a little upset when I updated my almost paid for iPhone 7plus last wenesday. My microphone was not working, without recent fall or water exposure. Needless to say I trouble shooted all I could at home. Reset and deleted - REBOOTED. It was COMIC CON WEEKEND, I didn’t have time for this. I was able to make phone calls with the blue tooth feature in my car, headphones were not an option. I was not going to walk around with Bluetooth (only had a huge pair of DJ looking ones) headphones.

After the weekend passed, I went to APPLE STORE. Thankfully, I had apple care and they replaced it no problem. But there were two other people at my table with similar issue -except they had to pay to get a replacement. From what I’m reading they should replacing them regardless. I’m glad I looked up the issue online first. Otherwise I would paying for a replacement too!

Juliana Zapy

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018

Apple has acknowledged a microphone issue affecting a limited number of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models running iOS 11.3 or later.

In an internal document distributed to Apple Authorized Service Providers this week, obtained by MacRumors, Apple said affected customers may experience a grayed-out speaker button during phone calls. The issue may also prevent affected customers from being heard during phone calls or FaceTime video chats.

Apple Authorized Service Providers have been instructed to first ask customers to disconnect or power off any Bluetooth headsets or other audio accessories connected to their iPhone to see if that alleviates the problem.

If the speaker button remains grayed out during a call, the service providers have been instructed to run audio diagnostics. Affected devices will display a "device could not detect dock" or "accessory not supported" alert in the diagnostic pane, in which case the service provider can initiate a repair for the iPhone.

If an affected iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus is no longer covered by warranty, Apple says its service providers can request an exception for this particular issue. Apple's document does not specify if the repairs will be completed free of charge, but it seems likely given the circumstances.

While this does not appear to be a widespread problem, there are have been some complaints about microphone issues on iOS 11.3 scattered across MacRumors, Reddit, Twitter, and the Apple Support Communities in recent months.

It's unclear why iOS 11.3 and subsequent software versions are unintentionally disabling microphones on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units. Apple mentions that some of the devices may require a repair, suggesting the software update could somehow be causing a hardware defect, but information is lacking.

Affected customers can schedule an appointment with an Apple Authorized Service Provider or with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store via the Contact Apple Support page: iPhone -> Repairs & Physical Damage -> Unable to Hear Through Receiver or Speakers -> Built-in Speaker -> Bring In For Repair.

Apple has not confirmed this issue publicly, but MacRumors has verified the document's authenticity with a reliable source. However, outside of our control, some Apple employees may be unaware of or deny the information. In that event, we recommend escalating your case to a senior AppleCare advisor if possible.

MacRumors has reached out to Apple for clarity on this issue. If and when we hear back, we'll update this article.

Relevant: Apple's support document titled Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Microphone Issue With Some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Models on iOS 11.3 and Later
[doublepost=1532627744][/doublepost]My Iphone 7 Plus microphone just died on Monday after i installed de 11.4.1
I already did all the steps that they said on the call and on the chat support team; but nothing worked...
I went to an authorize reseller (down here in Colombia we do not have mac stores directly) but they said that they do not have any info on this issue and that my iphone did not have warranty; so we are down to SO SORRY WE CAN NOT DO A THING FOR YOU! So mad that Apple do not help with this, because my phone was PERFECT before i installed the upgrade...

Reactions: mjepk

Lhutz

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Same for me. Phone was working perfectly until they broke it with the 11.41 update. Hours in the store and on the phone. Lots of runaround. The microphone is a "module repair" so their only fix is pay us $319 for a replacement if you are out of warranty.

For me, this is more unforgivable than the battery issue. Looks like Apple has jumped the shark-- oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

Reactions: mjepk

bostonsoonest

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Went to the Apple Store to deal with this issue today. Got sympathy from the tech, but was told -- sorry, I can't override the system that's requiring me to charge you the $319 for a replacement phone.

I asked for the manager, who came over. I told him -- "it's hard for me to understand how Apple would push me to update ios, have that mess up my hardware, and then say I'm on the hook to pay for a replacement phone." He explained that he thinks Apple (whoever decides these things) stopped granting out of warranty repairs because (1) it affected only certain models that were allegedly dropped (which presumably jangled stuff inside, causing them to be susceptible to his problem). He said no promises, but I'll see if I can do something. He came back about 5 minutes later and said he was able to give a manager's credit/exception for the $319 (though he couldn't override the no warranty exception). Either way, at the end, no charge for the replacement!

willvero

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
Same issue on my wife's iPhone 7 and ios 12. Our local apple store said it couldn't override corporate after talking to the manager. Seems like the manager could've given us a credit/exception based on the "bostonsoonest" posting. Loved the quality of apple products for a decade... not sure how they went down hill this fast with a total disregard for customer service to fix problems they created, but hello Samsung now!!!

This seems like a class action law suit coming soon!

Last edited:

fruitofthetaintedtree

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
I'm a Mac OS user since 1989. I actually still have a Luxo iMac running 9.2.2 off the side of my desk, and I still use it for certain things. Said I'd never get an iPhone. Had to switch carriers because Verizon's "Can you hear me now?" guy couldn't hear, call, or ring my phone at my new address. Got an iPhone 7 Plus 'cause it was the 'deal' at the time. It's a love hate relationship now, but with this mic experience and my experience at the Apple store, I'm going back to Galaxy ASAP. Love that the store manager tried to blame it on bad coverage by US Cellular... kudos to him for holding to the company line. Apple would be proud. I also reported this issue to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Apple should have been warning iPhone 7 and 7 Plus users of this issue. Not being able to talk to a 911 operator on your cell phone seems like it'd qualify as a safety issue. It's not like they couldn't find us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Same issue on my wife's iPhone 7 and ios 12. Our local apple store said it couldn't override corporate after talking to the manager. Seems like the manager could've given us a credit/exception based on the "bostonsoonest" posting. Loved the quality of apple products for a decade... not sure how they went down hill this fast with a total disregard for customer service to fix problems they created, but hello Samsung now!!!

This seems like a class action law suit coming soon!

I'm a Mac OS user since 1989. I actually still have a Luxo iMac running 9.2.2 off the side of my desk, and I still use it for certain things. Said I'd never get an iPhone. Had to switch carriers because Verizon's "Can you hear me now?" guy couldn't hear, call, or ring my phone at my new address. Got an iPhone 7 Plus 'cause it was the 'deal' at the time. It's a love hate relationship now, but with this mic experience and my experience at the Apple store, I'm going back to Galaxy ASAP. Love that the store manager tried to blame it on bad coverage by US Cellular... kudos to him for holding to the company line. Apple would be proud. I also reported this issue to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Apple should have been warning iPhone 7 and 7 Plus users of this issue. Not being able to talk to a 911 operator on your cell phone seems like it'd qualify as a safety issue. It's not like they couldn't find us.

Well, I’m convinced. Flushing my iPhone 7+ down the toilet forthwith and immediately purchasing a Samsung© Galaxy™ device, the champion of champions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ndnan11

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
North Dakota

Update: Apple appears to have stopped offering that exception as of mid July 2018.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Microphone Issue With Some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Models on iOS 11.3 and Later [Updated]
[doublepost=1536099759][/doublepost]We have been dealing with Apple on this issue for the past month to no avail. We have an iPhone 7 plus -- 18 months old and has been kept in excellent condition. We contacted Apple when the microphone failed. After first telling us we would have to pay for the repair and having us give them payment information, we sent the phone in to them. They sent it back without repairing it with a letter telling us they couldn't repair the phone claiming it had "unauthorized modifications." As it has never been repaired or modified, we contacted them again asking them what modifications they supposedly found. They couldn't specify any and they are now claiming the reason they won't fix it is because it is "uneconomical."
This is the response we received today:
"I have received a response for our engineering team. They are not advising me which part of the iPhone is not an OEM. They are stating that the iPhone is beyond economical repair, which means that repairing the iPhone would be more expensive than buying another one of the same model."

kelowna888

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2018
Has anyone gotten anywhere with Apple in Canada about this? This just started happening to my phone and I don't really want to buy a new phone if it is a known issue between the hardware and the updated iOS.

mjepk

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2019

Update: Apple appears to have stopped offering that exception as of mid July 2018.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Microphone Issue With Some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Models on iOS 11.3 and Later [Updated]
[doublepost=1546391431][/doublepost]My microphones in my iPhone 7 stopped working 2 days ago. Took it to the Apple store for tech assistance and the diagnostic process went exactly as described in the article, including the tech finding the message "device could not detect dock". Apple techs refused to consider any possibility that this was a flaw with the phone/software. I showed them the article and they said "we have no record of this". As a consolation prize they offered me a new iPhone 7 for $320. No one would really talk about the underlying issue identified in the article, including the acknowledgement by Apple that there is an underlying problem with the hardware/software. Made me wish I at least considered other phones. I received better customer service and responsibility from car dealerships.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I just had this happen to my iPhone. I just got a new one last month since they said my battery could not be replaced. They said it was new but this makes me think it was refurbished? Or from stock that might have had a higher tendency of issues? At least I have 90 day warranty to get it replaced.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
F me. This just happened to my daughters 2 year old iPhone 7+. I really need to consider going with a non apple device this time.

Venitile

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2019
H

I had the same problem with my iPhone 7, not after upgrading the software but after I had linked my iPhone to Apple Airplay on a rental car (Ford Mustang) last week. After that my microphone didn’t work any more. The phone would ring but I couldn’t hear anyone on the other end, neither could they hear me. Same thing with FaceTime. The loudspeaker button was greyed out. Took me some time to link the problem to the car, but when I went to the Apple store they told me they had seen it before and the only thing I could do was exchange my phone, it could not be repaired! Thank you Apple
[doublepost=1568084833][/doublepost]Exactly that is what happened to us!!! We bought a Ford pick up truck a week ago and downloaded the Ford app and then we connected the phone to the car via bluetooth and from that moment the phone was screwed up. When trying to call the speaker function and Facetime function was greyed out, no sound during calls in or outgoing. Three visits to the apple store and various phone calls with varied answers and promises ranging from repair at our cost, free repair, free new phone and yet in the end we were forced to buy a new phone for 1000$. How is that legal??? It is their faulty software that made the phone unusable and we end up paying for a new phone????!

sandro1216

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
Just happened to our 7 plus. on Friday the 13th
Mic not working. Had to use a bluetooth head set as a work around.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
This just happened to mine, almost 2 years old. Replacement for a 7+ 128GB in Canada is $449. Not going to happen Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.