Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Craig Federighi is great on stage, but that is only a small part of his work. I am not going to judge him or Eddie Cue as I don't know enough. Hopefully this is a positive move, and doesn't impact on other areas.

iOS and macOS have lost some of their consistency and intuitiveness. I only hope Siri or anything else isn't a distraction from improving that.

2. truthertech macrumors 68000

Actually, that's an Internet myth/fake news. Siri, by far, is the most used Voice Assistant, knows the most languages, etc. In the myriad of on line actual head to head tests, Siri is constantly shown to be far from "a disaster." Indeed, while they all have their respective advantages, e.g., CNN recently pointed out "Siri is the best at understanding natural language. It can pick up on multiple ways of asking the same questions, so you don't need to worry about remembering the exact phrasing for commands," when you average them out, overall, Siri does as well or better than the other assistants. But I get it, just like the "Apple is terrible at services" Internet meme was out there for a while until folks stopped to think, "hey their services is so successful that they are now the equivalent of a Fortune 100 company;" " hey, Apple's services dwarfs Facebooks entire revenue."

3. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Carpool Karaoke and Planet of the Apps :D:eek:

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Eddy being given more executive powers by the sounds of it. Eddy is more like Steve in that he's got the vision to drive Apple to the next level. Tim Cook is nothing more than a bean counter and hasn't progressed Apple in the last 6 years at all. Tim Cook just cashed out a bunch of stock did he not? Maybe those are the early signals of what's to come...

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Without Jobs at the top, the entire company has lost focus.

Things Jobs always strived to simplify or improve have been allowed to become bloated or left to rot.
    The problem is at the top (always is) and trickles down due to the directive of power.

They must get back to directing the business of computing (small and big) and back to simplification of user interface in every aspect of their operation (iTunes and its store, macOS, iOS, all software, etc.)

Siri should have been a "killer app" for Apple, but it has been let go, and it slipped down to a pet project. With the lead they had in 2012, Apple should have had a masterful voice-driven control engine with cutting-edge AI by now.

Another sign that the Apple is rotting from the inside. It will take a long time for them to completely trip over on their own reputation and momentum, and we are seeing it in slo-mo every day and every year. Someone with amazing insight and leadership needs to take the helm over there.

6. snebes macrumors 6502a

This is a normal thing to do. The stock market bubble may burst sooner rather than later, and TC is taking caution.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

GAWD I hope this is a good sign for Siri. It needs to get at least on par with Alexa for sure.

9. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Steve was a visionary and that's not a skill many have. When you have a vision then you know what to do and you execute to it. Steve would go berserk because you were not following his vision. Apple today is soft because they haven't got that vision to drive the company nor do they have a ruthless application of that vision in the Apple machine.

Maybe Eddy can restore past glories.

10. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

So its useless in 21 languages then. :p

The services are tied to the hardware. You know like the iPhone that regularly sells 50 million units a quarter.

I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of Apples services revenue didn't come via commission on other peoples work from the App Store and from iTunes content sales. Not because Siri, iCloud and Apple Music are great and lots of people are paying for them.

11. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Those two [redacted] should be more than enough to get anyone shown the door. I''d be ebarassed to put my name to them but I don't have the mega millions and stock options my worthless opinion matters for nowt.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

13. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

Apple Maps, after it's bad first iteration, has been steadily improving and adding features, such as city transit. I find that both Google Maps and Apple Maps can have errors in routing or missing addresses when trying to locate a business or residential address. The city transit is immaterial in my city-actually, in my entire state, so I can't comment much about it. Used the Apple version once in Chicago early this year, with no problem.

ITunes has problems, lots of them. I am probably in the minority here in that most of my music is CD's or LP's uploaded into iTunes. I do use Apple Match, or whatever they are calling that now. I frequently lose songs, sometimes entire albums. The commands to upload and/or sync keep getting moved, renamed or eliminated. After every OS or IOS update I have a problem and the fix that worked with the previous OS no longer works. Finding an answer on Apple Support forums usually doesn't work for several weeks because the situation just started, and internet searches have to be tied to the OS because otherwise you get an answer that no longer works. Usually the steps have completely changed, and so has the location of what software or settings field you need to access it. It doesn't just work.

I haven't watched, nor am I likely to start watching, any of the tv shows. This isn't because of Apple but because of my slow internet speed. I don't know how Carpool Karaoke or any other Apple produced show is doing ratings wise.

My Eddy Cue grade would be a C minus overall.

14. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Siri will now be just as great as Craig's hair. :)

15. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Siri is a complete dog that's really only useful for voice dialing (when even that works). I love Apple, but Google app's voice control and command recognition for web searches and such is a 1,000x more accurate and efficient.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How is Forstall better than Craig. Most of the features we now have with iOS are because of Craig and not being afraid to add functionality. Last keynote with Scott all we got was portrait mode, Siri providing sports scores, the gawd awful podcasts app and maps, which Tim Cook had to apologize for.

17. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I'm glad this change was made. I'll be very surprised if Siri doesn't get markedly better within the next year or two -- maybe sooner if Federighi has been at the helm for several months or more already.

I had no idea that Cue was in charge of Siri development. The only thing I've noticed from Cue of late are appearances representing Apple at events in Hollywood and the like. I would've never dreamed that he was in charge of Siri. I guess all his schmoozing in Hollywood earned Apple an Emmy for Siri on tvOS so now he's moved on to the next project.

In my mind, Cue being in charge of Siri explains why it has become a stagnant part of the Apple ecosystem. There haven't been any marked improvements in Siri for years. Sure, there are a few more things Siri can do each year, but Siri continues to have some of the same glaring problems year after year. I don't get the impression that Cue was particularly focused on improving Siri, and it shows. He's been too busy hanging out with people in the film and music industries.

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And what did he really have to do with the growth in that? Most of Apple’s service revenues come from app downloads off a bigger install base. And the App Store was given to Phil Schiller last year.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Craig F. can be Eddy's right hand man. There's no place for Tim Cook anymore.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apple is rotting from the inside? Good grief. Give me a break.

21. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have no clue how much of these projects really are his doing, but when I looked at his responsibilities the first thing that came to mind is "Man I would hate to have to replace that guy and deal with that dumpster fire of projects".

22. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Man, the people sure don’t let go of any opportunity to turn this thread into a Tim Cook bashing thread, do they?

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Wut? Eddy should be no where near the top of the leadership chart. He should be given early retirement.

24. Shalev macrumors member

Shalev

Finally... now let him fix all the damage in the Music app, the bad design, the terrible user interface and the stuck the subscription to theirs thrown merhod made by eddy cue and this lovine guy... both need to go, all they care is the money and not the user experience

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Give iCloud and pro apps to someone else and move Eddy to LA to run iTunes, Apple Music and Apple content deals.