Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

Amazed hard nosed Tim still employs that waste of space .

( Not Craig who I think is brilliant )

2. shk718 macrumors 65816

And it shows - SIRI in ios 11 is much improved.

3. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

As far as I can see it is that everything Cue is responsible for (iCloud, Apple Music, Maps, Siri, iWork, iLife) has been very stagnant the last 5 years. By a company the size of Apple and not that many product differentiations to focus on, I'm very disappointed how much progress is coming to market. They surely aren't a frontrunner in any category today.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe now, we'll start seeing some significant improvements to Siri., Google, Amazon and even Microsoft have a jump on Apple and that should not have been the case.

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Siri, the first and the worst voice assistant.

6. DisNerd macrumors member

Swap Forstall for Craig and I'm all about it.

7. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Great. All that is left to shift away are the iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Maps, iCloud, and the iWork and iLife apps.

8. dojoman macrumors 65816

Craig is funny guy love his presentation.

9. nt5672 macrumors 68000

But he does have a good smile.

10. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

To be fair to Eddy, he wasn't in charge of Maps when it launched, Forstall was. It was given to Eddy afterwards. (IIRC)

11. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

I couldn't agree with this more. It shows how Apple is always better not being first. I'm a pretty big supporter of Apple, but Siri is just plain horrible. I finally broke down and bought three Echo Dots this year. Alexa isn't perfect, but at least she understands me. Plus, she can actually do things.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He definitely has a better stage presence then the rest of the people.

13. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Big Bob Mansfield. Last seen wielding the axe on Project Titan(ic) :cool:

14. Lauren Olivia macrumors newbie

Lauren Olivia

15. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've found SIRI useful. Unfortunately, that's as high as I can count.

16. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Jeeezzzzz. Now where will Craig get the time to fix iTunes?

17. pika2000 macrumors 603

Shifting chairs around in a company is nothing new, and it may or may not be due to whatever we think. Microsoft does this all the time, regardless of performance. Sometimes it's good to just shuffle things around to get new fresh ideas in.

I don't like Eddie, but I admit things that he did make Apple more accessible to the no-geek crowd. I mean Apple is a brand that targets the lay people, not us geeks exclusively.

As for Siri, I think it does make more sense to put its development under the team that does iOS and macOS, for obvious reasons. As for iCloud, I think we are taking too many things for granted. The fact that iCloud backup and photo stream are working means the team worked very hard (not say to make cloud things work). And anybody have tried collaborating using iWorks on the cloud? It works quite well, even better than Microsoft's IMO. So I wouldn't just dismiss Eddie completely simply because we are not seeing something shiny.

18. Red Oak macrumors regular

Other than building Services into a $30B/yr highly profitable juggernaut, nothing really

19. devsfan1830 macrumors regular

devsfan1830

Even with the improved voice i STILL cant understand it when it reads dictated texts back to me in the car. It often pronounces a word so short and fast that I just gotta hope its right or that the recipient knows what I meant. I know the voice control is great to reduce texting and driving but how about fixing its enunciation or at the VERY least stick a preview of what I'm saying on my dash screen. Its not that risky to just glance at the text I just dictated to speed scan it for a mistake.

First world problems I know. But this is one of the many obvious things Apple seems to skip over with increasing frequency. I don't think they're in touch with how people use their products at this point. If Android wasn't so fragmented I would have jumped to them by now. Having SO many paid apps and music in iTunes at this point doesn't help either.

20. smaffei macrumors regular

21. brian3uk macrumors 6502

I don't know Eddy personally so I wont say anything other than every project he works on is bad. :(

22. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

No longer wearing that Hawaiian shirt at events.

23. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Here here. I will take Skeuomorphism everywhere and the occasional F- up to have Scott back.

24. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Federighi > Cue

In fact, most everyone at Apple are probably > Cue.