Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has acquired AI Music, a startup that uses artificial intelligence to generate personalized soundtracks and adaptive music, reports Bloomberg. AI Music developed an "Infinite Music Engine" meant to create bespoke audio solutions for marketers, publishers, fitness professionals, and creative agencies.

ai-music.jpg

The technology is able to generate dynamic soundtracks that change based on user interaction. Music during a workout, for example, could change based on the wearer's heartbeat, adjusting to workout intensity. AI Music described it as a feature that could allow advertisers to create audio that would match user context, like mood.

AI Music's website no longer functions, but the company's prior LinkedIn page said it was "on a mission to redefine how we create, interact and experience music."
AI Music allows brands, developers and sonic adventurers access to our intelligent music library. Our goal is to give consumers the power to choose the music they want, seamlessly edited to fit their needs or create dynamic solutions that adapt to fit their audiences.
Apple completed its purchase of the UK-based AI Music company in recent weeks. Prior to acquisition, AI Music had approximately two dozen employees, according to Bloomberg.

Apple could potentially make use of the AI Music technology in several ways. Songs that can update based on heart rhythm could be useful for Apple Fitness+, and Apple's Photos app uses royalty-free music to provide songs for photo slideshows, so on-demand generated music that matches mood could come in handy for that purpose.

Article Link: Apple Acquires AI Music Startup That Can Generate Dynamic Soundtracks

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I'm having flashbacks to the hype around "Collaborative Filtering" back in the 90s. Or worse, Clippy the Paper Clip from MS Office (I'm running to catch a plane. :apple:Music MyCurator buzzes to say, "It looks like you're exercising, should I turn on a :apple:Curated Work Out playlist?"). Ugh.

Last edited:
My guess: in less than 5 years, the company founders will quit and start a new company doing something else.
My guess: in less than 3 years, the company founder will retire... And maybe do something else. 😜
Might go work for Intel, Microsoft, Google or even Samsung. The options are limitless. My guess is a "Start-up". :p

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I hope that this technology is used in Photos.

Since the Apple Music integration was added there, the same songs are often applied to different Memories, they frequently don’t fit well (eg. strongly USA songs against photos taken in European countries), and they usually can’t be included if sharing the Memory with someone else.

Killbill2

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2017
My guess is, I'll still find iTunes horrible to use, keeping searching for disappearing search functions and never like any of the "new" music iTunes wallpaper throws at me. Lost, just like iTunes.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
That's awesome. Big news for Apple music and fitness is coming this year.

I hope Apple is focusing on re-building the music app for iOS and mac OS.
well, the Music app does need A LOT of work ... I've really ignored it for the past 2-3 years and just last week re-built my library on my iMac, and, I am not liking it, but that is entirely off-topic ...

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Remember, a sufficient number of IF statements qualifies as AI...

58644409.jpg
Thank you so much for this. I am so sick of the abuse of the term “Artificial Intelligence”.

I also just watched the “know your meme” video about this guy with my companion so she could get the context of the meme... ha ha

Edit: it’s a funny video https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ancient-aliens

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I'm having flashbacks to the hype around "Collaborative Filtering" back in the 90s. Or worse, Clippy the Paper Clip from MS Office (I'm running to catch a plane. :apple:Music MyCurator buzzes to say, "It looks like you're exercising, should I turn on a :apple:Curated Work Out playlist?). Ugh.
Running to catch a plane… The Impossible Mission theme (Clayton and Mullen version) starts playing… Who wouldn't want that? You'd feel like the protagonist in your own action movie… constantly. :cool:

macdisciple

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2016
USA
This is one steo closer to what I've been waiting for -- a brain implant that plays a personal soundtrack based on emotional state and hormone levels.

• Love
Reactions: Kleber20

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
This is one steo closer to what I've been waiting for -- a brain implant that plays a personal soundtrack based on emotional state and hormone levels.
In addition, a soundtrack to take you to an emotional state or hormone level that you didn't have to curate yourself.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple could potentially make use of the AI Music technology in several ways. Songs that can update based on heart rhythm could be useful for Apple Fitness+, and Apple's Photos app uses royalty-free music to provide songs for photo slideshows, so on-demand generated music that matches mood could come in handy for that purpose.
I prefer musicians create music not AI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.