Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MysteryMii215

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2016
NYC area
Yeah, that's my concern. Spotify, Google Assistant (I don't have an iPhone), Snapchat... I'm hoping that Apple just leaves things where they lay; but we all know that is not how their acquisitions go, annoyingly.
Spotify integration is probably going out the window, Snapchat integration I feel like is going to stay, And Google could always move to using SoundHound.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
About time.

They should by Yelp too. They already missed out on Waze. Could have got in on Snapchat.

Don't know who's in charge of acquisitions at Apple, but they are slow rolling on apps that be very useful to iOS users with better integration.

Reactions: Wackery

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Spotify integration is probably going out the window, Snapchat integration I feel like is going to stay, And Google could always move to using SoundHound.
I edited my original post, I THINK that Google Assistant might not even use Shazam at all. Google has an entire database with their Google Play Music store -- I think they simply match what the mic hears up to what is stored in their database. If that's the case, it's comforting news to those of us that use Google Assistant to help identify songs.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Siri has Shazam capabilities built-in already. You can simply as it, "What song is this?", "What song is playing?", or "Name this tune." They added that function back in 2014 with iOS 8.

My bad, since I always kept Siri disabled on my iPhone till some months back when I got the iPhone 7 with its Hey Siri capabilities. Also, Siri has only recently become very tolerant to our accent and understands our way of speaking far better now than before. With deeper integration in iOS 11 with apps, I might just begin using Siri and just asking Siri about the tune sounds pretty damn cool.

Thanks for the helpful comment! I will try this and see if it is up to snuff for my usage here. :)

longpath

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
The question is, 'what does Apple really want to do with the intellectual property?' Just as Apple's acquisition of PrimeSense was not about turning AppleTV into an X-BOX competitor; but actually wanted the visual tech for FaceID, I'm certain that this acquisition is about acquiring the IP for a use that's radically different from how it is being used by Shazam.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
'Exciting Plans' are ahead.

Frankly, Apple acquiring Shazam is good for Apple and Shazam and eventually the users, but the only truly exciting plans ahead for me today are a new dev beta releases of iOS and macOS. :p

Reactions: Kaibelf

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Me: Hey Siri, could you play...
HomePod: No. I can hear you playing lots of songs that you haven't bought from us. Would you like to pay for them now?
Me: Uh...no, I dowl... I bought them off another site. Uh... never mind.... what's the weather like Siri....

:p

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
This is bad, because it's proof that Apple simply can't improve Siri without acquisitions.
I 'somewhat agree' apple use to purchase their school/classroom software for years.

Apple and Google purchase almost all inovation from outside their companies and serve as integrators and marketers. Google slaps their brand on hardware too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.