Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Yeah, it doesn’t seem like all phones shutdown due to battery issue, but it does seem like all 6/6s/7 phones on 11.2+ are throttled as the battery ages and discharges.
[doublepost=1513901519][/doublepost]
iPhone 6 64 GB.

Problems could be due to parts from different suppliers. The phones have different components. I've always used AT&T GSM versions except for the unlocked 7 Plus I bought for the Qualcomm modem. I have a depleted battery on my old iPhone 6 128 GB but I used that phone heavily and then gave it to my mom. We have a large family and I suspect non-stop what's app notifications did lots of damage to the battery. She was getting about 2-3 notifications every couple of seconds from morning to night so the screen was almost always on. It also suffered a bad drop that separated the screen from the enclosure. No screen damage or scratches at all. I popped the screen back in and the phone continued to work fine.

Leomon84

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2017
if only batteries were that simple to replace. Think form factor. Size. Complexities. Alkaline vs Lithium Ion. It's not gonna be the same thing. Not saying impossible, just saying what's practical and what's not.

Batteries are simple to replace on a phone. But the phone industry cant make anymore money when you don't need to replace your phone every 2 years. So they know make them in all glass, sealed batteries so you need to go them for all your problems..

Android "use" to have lots of replaceable battery phones until their sales started plateauing so now everything is sealed so in two years you will have to buy a new phone.

That's the name of the game
[doublepost=1513902980][/doublepost]
and have thermal events all over the place? someone's catches the house / car / dog on fire and all hell breaks loose? nah...

Where you get that info? From some apple forum?

Look into the NOTE 4 or LG V20 all user replaceable batteries that don't catch on fire...

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
umm good for you?

but you're still playing the "it's not happening to me so it's not a problem" mindset.

Which is laughable. Enjoy your devices. They're great devices. unfortunately, that doesn't mean they don't have problems.

There are dogs from every manufacturer of any kind of goods. Cars, watches, musical instruments, appliances, etc. People who don't have problems usually don't go on forums to say all is well. That doesn't account for the majority of satisfied users and problem-free devices (hundreds of millions) out there.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
There are dogs from every manufacturer of any kind of goods. Cars, watches, musical instruments, appliances, etc. People who don't have problems usually don't go on forums to say all is well. That doesn't account for the majority of satisfied users and problem-free devices (hundreds of millions) out there.
Absolutely.

That's why the 2-3 reports of iPhone batteries buldging was a non story this year.

But right now, this is a large scale issue that is affecting thousands. Enough so that Tim Cook has spoken to it. That they made a legitimate software solution rolled out in the 10.2.1 software patch to address it.

that indicates that this is a widespread problem and not a few minor "dogs" .. or "lemons"

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
"This is not going to go the way you think."

- Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi

Apple revolutionized the mobile industry a decade ago with the iPhone (2007) and App Store (2008). Apple now is ruining the mobile industry in this decade.

Sealed batteries (iPod carryover)
Non-expandable storage (iPod carrover)
No FM radio
No IR blaster
No Bluetooth data transfer
No file manager
Proprietary wired charging standard
Glass rears
No headphone jack
$1000 smartphones
Throttle-gate

A decade ago, almost every phone except iPhone had a removable battery. Heck, MacBook Pro (2008/early 2009) had a removable battery!

So Apple is using sealed battery as their secret weapon for planned obsolescence. So the more we recharge our phones, the slower it will be? Or in Apple's eyes, the faster we will want to upgrade!

Apple ruining iPhones. Disney ruining Star Wars. Apple and Star Wars being born nearly the same time (1976 & 1977).

Do you know how influential Apple is to Google?

The second Nexus, the Nexus S, did no have expandable storage.

The fourth Nexus, the Nexus 4, did not have removable battery.

The headphone jack removed by the Pixel 2 / 2 XL.

Apple ruining the mobile industry just like Di$ney is ruining Star Wars. Forget Think Different. It's all about compromise over choice. Forget loyalty or adulation. Money over everything else.

Apple's BAE - MONEY

This is all I see...
Tim-Cook-Rich-600x281.jpg

And this...
slide_13.jpg

No choice.

pharleff

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Batteries are simple to replace on a phone. But the phone industry cant make anymore money when you don't need to replace your phone every 2 years. So they know make them in all glass, sealed batteries so you need to go them for all your problems..

Android "use" to have lots of replaceable battery phones until their sales started plateauing so now everything is sealed so in two years you will have to buy a new phone.

That's the name of the game
[doublepost=1513902980][/doublepost]

Where you get that info? From some apple forum?

Look into the NOTE 4 or LG V20 all user replaceable batteries that don't catch on fire...

1. Yes batteries can be replaced on the phone. But you want to save the regular user (i.e., non-techie) experiences, nobody cares. They want their phone to work. Warranties cover any type of normal wear and tear on a battery. Warranties can be extended.

2. The amount of money made off a battery is NOT that significant to where you'd run a whole business around it. That's absurd thought process.

3. Could it be that it's better to prevent people from replacing the batteries versus allowing them to? Especially with the plethora of 3rd party crap batteries that are available on the internet?

See here:

That's an example of what can happen with a overcharged battery. Imagine replacing that. Then it potentially catching fire. Then have someone trying to put it out with water. I'm not saying EVERY phone has a thermal event, but the potential and potential damage cost (structures, cars, or maybe people) isn't worth Apple allowing that to happen.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The question is why cant the battery offer the nominal voltage required for max frequency? It should always be able to provide that unless it was sized incorrectly. Its a given. Hence my point. And no not higher voltage, a CPU is designed to operate at lets say 5V you cant expect to stick 10V on it and think it will go faster. Its gonna get hot pretty quick. There are side effects.. no one overclocks phones because of heat issues

The battery should always be able to deliver the nominal voltage to operate the CPU at the designed speed. If it cant, it was designed incorrectly. Battery degradation must be taken into account, if its not like now you have stupid stuff like throttling the CPU a year in. For a thousand dollars thats pretty crappy wouldnt you agree??
For a thousand dollars, I expect some serious engineering to have taken place. I want it to be easy to use, and I want a device that gives me the most out of the tech it contains.

None of these CPUs are running at 5V, they're almost certainly closer to 1V. Yes, often you can increase the voltage on the part and increase it's clock speed, up to some limit. More to the point though, Apple makes the chips, so they can decide what clock speed they want at design time. You've just given me a new battery with less voltage depression at 500 cycles so that I can clock it as fast as I clock with my current battery on launch day. That means at 400 cycles, I still have some headroom. Why wouldn't I want to use that? I can get more performance that way. If I don't clock it faster, I might be accused of pre-throttling. Running the part slower than I need to just so I don't look bad later. At 300 cycles? Maybe even faster!

Only Tim Cook would pre-throttle my iPhone so he doesn't look bad later. Steve Jobs wouldn't do it that way, he'd innovate a way to give me maximum performance at every stage of battery life! For a thousand dollars, I don't want something that is artificially slowed down today because the battery might not be as good next year.

Alternatively, we could look at it and say your bigger battery will start experiencing random shutdowns after 1000 cycles. Is it ok to throttle then to prevent it? What about at extreme temperatures? We already throttle CPUs to prevent overheating, is it ok to throttle when the battery is cold?

CPUs temperatures you say? Well, that's a funny thing. The voltage drop is (nearly) instantaneous, but the temperature rise isn't. Heat is fast, temperature is slow. I can clock the part faster for a short period of time, get my work done, then shut it down before the temperature rise gets dangerous. Also, you were just willing to add space for a bigger battery thinking no one would notice, why not for better thermal management too?

Or split the difference. An engineer would look at this problem and say, "Marketing just gave me an extra mm. Where is the optimum point between increased battery sized and improved thermal management that gives the user the most benefit?"
And yes, the Iphone like all other phones are a packaged design. Where every component is tied in with another in a tiny little space. But the statement can still be made that the batteries are undersized because your throttling a year in. That statement is valid. Whether it was an engineering decision or marketing decision we will never know. Your point of it being a packaged complex product is not a counter point to this.
Yeah, we agree on this part. The counter point I'm making is that you can't just say "it's so easy to change this one design parameter that not changing must be willfully distain for customers."

You're assuming that the system should be CPU limited and everything else should bend to support that. I don't think that's a given. For one thing, the fact that the battery is a changing constraint over time means if you maintain constant performance you're sub-optimal at some point in the life cycle.

For another, there are only a narrow set of workflows that require full performance over extended periods. Most work flows for most people spike the clock to get things done and then nap until the next demand-- Apple made a big deal out of this architecture in one of the WWDCs as a way to save power. Just like it saves power if you convince all your employees to be in the building and out of the building at the same time because you can shut down lighting and climate control. For these kinds of work items, it won't make a huge difference to user experience if the job is spread over a few more cycles-- it'll pull more power, shorten the run time of the device, but it won't shut down abruptly and it won't take noticeable longer to execute.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
I knew it!

That's the end of Apple. I'm loading Ubuntu on my Mac Mini.

Holy crap! I booted Ubuntu 17 off a USB stick on my 2012 Mac Mini and it's way faster! I'm gonna have to load it up permanently, I was just half serious before but this is amazing! I guess they slow their macs down too!

Reactions: clauzzz203

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Again. Why bring Samsung into the discussion. A distraction it serms
Apple solved the issue...replace your battery.
[doublepost=1513908212][/doublepost]
If by "addressed" you mean, "acknowledged", then yes they did. But "addressed" as in "resolved the problem" no they didn't. They don't even acknowledge that it is a problem.
Read the title of the thread. You just don’t like how they addressed it.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Happened to me, store refused to swap the battery because their test passed, and even though the phone was shutting down at 40% charge constantly.
Fanbois will put you on ignore, for ruining their fantasies about ‘infallible’ Apple.

Heck, look at the post above this one - you tried what the fanboi said, but Apple wouldn’t replace your battery.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Fanbois will put you on ignore, for ruining their fantasies about ‘infallible’ Apple.

Heck, look at the post above this one - you tried what the fanboi said, but Apple wouldn’t replace your battery.
Maybe you can explain exactly the “fantasies “ that were ruined. But hey - great job on the hyperbole.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
So if you’re up to speed on the topic why did you write it as if it’s a capacity issue instead of using a different battery chemistry? What was the point of focusing on “bigger battery” instead of what you just posted which is far more informative?

You don't get to answer a question with a question. Explain how they work. Bonus points if you know anything at all about processor draw.

rootee

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
California
Can anyone comment on whether a battery case eliminates the CPU throttling on an iPhone 6/6s ??

I’m curious enough at this point to get one of those hideous Apple branded hump-back cases just to try it out.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Can anyone comment on whether a battery case eliminates the CPU throttling on an iPhone 6/6s ??

I’m curious enough at this point to get one of those hideous Apple branded hump-back cases just to try it out.

I am not certain but it's doubtful. I say this because people are reporting that even connected to A/C it still throttles no matter what.

chas_m

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
Juli: Just a note to thank you for the accurate headline. Too many other sites -- the usual suspects, mostly, but disappointingly some Apple-oriented sites -- have gone with (IMO) clickbait. Your story, like the headline, sticks to the facts and goes very light on the editorial. Great job covering a story that is drowning in hype and nonsense.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I completely "get" the anger and frustration being expressed in this thread. I also get why there are those who aren't bothered by the issue (though having some of those poke a stick at those upset is double-unhelpful, and the flipside, calling those who aren't upset, "trolls" is equally unhelpful).

Whether or not there is a corrective action by Apple, or a class-action lawsuit, what are those who are unhappy with this revelation going to do?

Does it end at complaining in the forums (only to buy Apple's next shiny bauble)?

How many will say that they are "captive" to the Apple ecosystem as justification for continuing on with Apple?

Who will ditch Apple for the sole reason of "making a statement"?

Will anyone develop an "exit strategy" for disengaging from the ecosystem?

To those who remain content with the experience in AppleWorld, please have a bit of consideration for those who aren't. Although there are indeed some "delicate snowflakes", a majority of those displeased with Apple have valid sober reasons.

To those who are dissatisfied with Apple, do something. Not out of spite or any emotion, but from a perspective of making purchasing decisions that you will be content with. There are some people who are not happy unless they have something to complain about. If you are one of those, a little self-awareness goes a long way. :) And have a bit of consideration for those who, for them, this is no big deal... and yes, there are those few for who, Apple can do no wrong. Let them be.

That is all. :)

While I enjoy some Apple products I also have become more and more critical about certain design decision regarding their Hard- and Software. Soldered RAM, SSD drives with proprietary connectors and of course their stupid aspirations to make the iOS products thinner and thinner. The results can be seen now. I feel really sorry for those who just spent more than a 1000 Dollars for a phone which will have peak performance only for a few months before battery degradation kicks in.

But being looked in a eco system is really an issue and many people don't want the hassle so they just carry on.

For myself I have made the choice that I will continue to use my iP6S+ as long as possible and will replace the battery with a third party vendor. Not only I really want a headphone jack in my phone I just see no point in buying essentially the same phone (7/8) which will perform on a diminished level after a while anyway.

Reactions: lysingur and Altis

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Holy crap! I booted Ubuntu 17 off a USB stick on my 2012 Mac Mini and it's way faster! I'm gonna have to load it up permanently, I was just half serious before but this is amazing! I guess they slow their macs down too!

Windows 7, 10, and Linux (Mint Xfce) all run very fast on my 2010 MBP.

El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra all run very slowly on it.

Apple's become completely happy with slow UI, slow animations, input blocking, bloat, etc... It's too bad, really. I hope they eventually prioritize performance.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I feel we are seeing far too many comments on battery life etc which really is a secondary point of discussion for this topic IMO.

All manufactures have fine print on batteries. It may well be unfortunate that due to lack of some specifics from Apple you perceived or believed that their batteries had x or y qualities and I sympathise. Especially those that have run in to genuine defects and Apple policies on owner paid replacements

However

Too me the real subject is has Apple changed the terms and conditions or broken any trade description etc. For sure it is like dogging thru rain drops trying to find Apple specifics on performance. Fortunately in many countries there are legal requirements for clarity and easy to read fine print and even perceptions of the public can be deemed as common knowledge.

It certainly seems it is easy to prove that Apple have changed the performance characteristics of the device under certain conditions without clearly informing the public. You would certainly expect if this was happening on a new device that the caveat "Performance varies and is dependent on xyz" would be in the fine print as part of the sale of goods terms.

On older IPhone affected you may of well given up your rights by accepting Apple T&C on upgrades etc, although they did note that the update(s) "It also improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone" for example but no explanation at what trade-off to performance or other aspects.

It certainly adds to a questionable doubt of reasonable disclosure

As to speculation of intent or motive to implementing this change being underhand is no more than idle gossip currently and very unlikely to be proved. Apple may very well picked the better of 2 evils in opting for throttling over battery endurance but maybe they should never of been in that predicament in the first place with a premium product.

You also have to question if the reason for this Battery vs Performance trade off is genuine why it is not universally implemented on all IPhone's 6 and up now. Is there something else not disclosed that's different between 6/7 vs 8/X ?

Apple clever wording & of not disclosing some specifics may well be there undoing as many have found belief in branding does not always equal or better black and white print

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
This throttling did not just start with the iPhone 6. I noticed it on the very first iPhone I got which was the 3G. Swiping home pages, typing, navigating through settings, etc was taking way too long so I thought to myself that the phones hardware is probably out of date so I was about to get the 3GS but didn't want the same thing to happen so I never bought an iPhone again since then. Literally navigating the phone GUI was a slow torture. Never seen a device slow down so drastically. Now I just don't update apps unless I absolutely have to because it just decreases the life if your phone as all new software is designed to run on newer, faster hardware. With this finally coming out, I'm hesitant to buy any Apple product now even though I've been on a 2011 MBP for the last 5 years and it works as good as day one. Oh corporations why you gotta be so greedy?

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Haven’t you repaid them enough? 30 years is a lot of business. Its hard for me to read things like this. I get the loyalty thing but you owe them nothing. If anything they owe you for sticking with them, through scandal and obvious manipulative behaviour that borders on a complete disrespect of their users.

Yeah, that’s weird in itself. Lol.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The headlines and negative press against Apple in the media today is unprecedented. I've never seen such a backlash against a tech company like this before.

Apple are in a lot of trouble. The one thing you can never do in business is lose the confidence of your customers.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
"This is not going to go the way you think."

- Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi

Apple revolutionized the mobile industry a decade ago with the iPhone (2007) and App Store (2008). Apple now is ruining the mobile industry in this decade.

Sealed batteries (iPod carryover)
Non-expandable storage (iPod carrover)
No FM radio
No IR blaster
No Bluetooth data transfer
No file manager
Proprietary wired charging standard
Glass rears
No headphone jack
$1000 smartphones
Throttle-gate

A decade ago, almost every phone except iPhone had a removable battery. Heck, MacBook Pro (2008/early 2009) had a removable battery!

So Apple is using sealed battery as their secret weapon for planned obsolescence. So the more we recharge our phones, the slower it will be? Or in Apple's eyes, the faster we will want to upgrade!

Apple ruining iPhones. Disney ruining Star Wars. Apple and Star Wars being born nearly the same time (1976 & 1977).

Do you know how influential Apple is to Google?

The second Nexus, the Nexus S, did no have expandable storage.

The fourth Nexus, the Nexus 4, did not have removable battery.

The headphone jack removed by the Pixel 2 / 2 XL.

Apple ruining the mobile industry just like Di$ney is ruining Star Wars. Forget Think Different. It's all about compromise over choice. Forget loyalty or adulation. Money over everything else.

Apple's BAE - MONEY

This is all I see...
Tim-Cook-Rich-600x281.jpg

And this...
slide_13.jpg

No choice.
I think your taking this a bit too seriously? Communism? It’s just a phone ...

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
The comments for this story should be good. There is going to be lots of rage for something that actually seems logical. All batteries degrade at some point. So you can't expect hardware that relies on the power from that battery to still function the same.

Logical if you're aware of the situation. The HUGE problem I have with this is that they had told no one. So with every consumer unaware, they simply see it as their phone is slowing down and is probably outdated. How many of these unsuspecting consumers decided they probably should just upgrade to the latest phone when the simplest solution would be to just replace the battery? $80 battery replacement vs $700 phone replacement.

Apple abused their brand trust. That's plain and simple here. I don't know how you could argue otherwise. They did NOT give the consumer the option because the consumer wasn't aware of the option. Wether or not Apple intentionally didn't let the consumer know to drive phone replacements over battery is unknown. But you can't be that ignorant thinking no one at Apple realized the folks would replace batteries over phones if they were made aware of the reason for the slow down.

This was a calculated decision that just so happens to benefit them financially. Because of the blatant choice by Apple to not make the consumer aware of the slowdown and the reason for it, I definitely am not on their side this time, especially having experienced it with two iPhone 5S's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.