Apple Adds 2016 MacBook Pro Without Touch Bar to Refurbished Store [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2017.

1. davys macrumors regular

Well said, Sir.

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I guess it's perspective. I like the touch bar, it's about time Apple did something cool to the keyboard. Who cares if Lenovo did it first and it didn't catch on. I don't see the relevance.

3. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Wow this is crazy, 10 more have showed up again.

4. coraregina macrumors newbie

When I look, they're literally the only refurbished MBPs that are available. Guess everyone's realized what a joke the 2016 systems are in general and is buying out the 15" 2015 systems as soon as they show up.

I've been wanting to do likewise. I have a maxed out 2010 MBP that I still love, in spite of the fact that it can't take more than 8GB of RAM and the resolution is laughable, but the honest truth is that the 16:10 display is a major impediment when it comes to using graphics peripherals because of the distortion (they're all 16:9). The 2016 systems are so absurdly overpriced, though, that there's no way I'm paying for one. Not for something where all the components are glued or soldered together and I can't even replace the hard drive.

It's a total pipe dream that that'll change in the next model. If it by some miracle did and we also got a 32GB memory option I'd bite, but as it stands I'm going to be hunting for a maxed 2015 machine.

Would love a Hackintosh but the laptop options are just too limited.

5. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Now up to 13 are there now, they keep adding more and more.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yep, the only MBP refurbs available - also no MacBook Airs at the moment.

7. 544263, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

544263 Suspended

to me it's not relevant who was first either, but it's a fact. ... the real point was i think BOTH are toys and many people do agree with that. - many other people will share your opinion and really like either one or both, all good. it's great to have choice, and it's great to have an opinion too, isn't it!? :)

8. dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

I hate the touchbar. I put some useful things on it like screen lock, but I had to remove anything so powerful off it because of random finger slips causing Siri to come on etc or getting locked out mid-sentence. I think they have taken the wrong direction and I hope for everyone's sake the touchbar disappears in the future, or is replaced by actual keys that have either e-ink or OLED functionality.

Very underwhelmed when it comes to the new MBP that I now have, it's no better really than what I had before and I feel ripped off (because I was), as buying the Dell XPS would have saved me thousands for a non-inferior device. Wavering customers, save your money!

9. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Just discovered that people are making Github repos for hackintoshing the XPS series of laptops. All drivers, tweaks and such packaged for simple installation, and with update functionality to add new fixes / tweaks as they are improved. I'd definitely get the XPS over a MacBook any day of the week.

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

As a previous XPS owner, Dell has never made this to be a quality laptop. The finish and quality control are nowhere near Apple's and Apple still has problems. Everyone does, but Dell's is much worse. You get value with an XPS, you don't get premium materials. If that's not worth it to you, you should have assessed what's important and what's not before purchasing a MBP instead of calling it being ripped off.

11. dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

There are no 'premium' materials, they are just materials and everything else is marketing. Thinkpads have a simple matte plastic exterior but they are tough as tanks and are spill-proof. Dell computers are also quite robust and long lasting, I have used many. People are led to think that Apples have no (or fewer) problems, not sure where they get this from apart from shills and marketing departments. They have had phones that don't work because you hold them wrong, screens that flake off (MBP) because you wipe them wrong, or close the lid wrong, hard drives that failed because for appearances they never made any ventilation holes (old macbooks). And guaranteed if it's a workmanship fault of Apple's you'll get 12-18 months of denial and silence before ever so quietly they replace faulty products no questions asked, no questions answered.

The reason MBP's survive nowadays is people paid SO MUCH for them they treat them like crystal-ware. The reason Dell is cheaper because their profit margin is smaller. Simple as that.

As for ripped of, well you could say I regret buying my MBP - which I do. I was told the hard drive would more than make up for lack of upgrades of the processor or RAM, which is not the case. How do you measure that anyway without owning it first?

12. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

That $2.2k laptop has a 1TB SSD in it. That is what is driving the price through the roof. Frankly, you have to have a very specific type of workflow where you need 1TB of storage on the laptop.

One of the guys at my work got himself a maxed out Surface Book Pro. Spent $3.5k on it. Got himself 1TB SSD in it. He probably has less than 100GB used. And we have basically unlimited cloud storage available to him as well.

If I were to buy this version of MacBook Pro, I'd look into external storage and save a bundle.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Probably those people have gotten the laptop home and saw it has only 2 ports and wondered if that's a joke. It's pretty sad Apple would release this piece of junk and call it a "Pro" system. That is just so not true and the sudden availability of these things suggests that customers didn't buy into Apple's marketing push either. Note to Schiller: 2 ports of which one is the POWER is just plain stupid. You can try these games with the silly MacBook but stop mucking about with your flagship product.

14. Williesleg macrumors member

It's pretty obvious what's going on with Apple.

Since Apple refused to use Intel chips in their iPads and iPhones, Intel won't make a decent chip for Apple to put in their desktops, laptops and pro line. And Apple won't change their stance, they've got Timmy Cook who's more into grudges than doing what's right for his employees and customers.

So Apple is at war with Intel.

Such a shame.

15. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It would be cool if that were true.

Maybe we will see arm Macs that much quicker.

But any company who tries to wage a supply chain war with Apple is only shooting itself in the foot. Just ask google maps. If Intel wants to play punk with Apple, then they deserve whatever loss in sales they get as a result.

17. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

What about Google Maps? Have you checked Google stock price since Apple dropped their maps from iPhone? It skyrocketed. As far as Intel is concerned - Apple is a marginal customer at best. They don't use Intel's most expensive chips (those go to servers and workstations). Apple's market share in PC (worldwide) is what 10%? SUre Intel does not want to lose Apple as a customer but I don't think they lose sleep over it.

18. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

How do you respond to comments like this? Apple's casing is far better than Dell's. It's not even a comparison. If you like the Dell, Windows, or find better value in the specs of the XPS, that's a fair discussion but to say no "premium" materials.. seems like you haven't held both laptops in a while.

19. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Dantroline is exactly correct. Aluminum is not a "premium" material - it's an extremely inexpensive metal that costs, at last check, about $.50 per pound for a clean extrusion. If MBPs were made of something like rhodium, then, sure, we could talk about MBPs being made from a "premium" material.

You're apparently confusing the difference between the material used and the apparent quality of the "casing," as you put it.

20. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Better off buying a brand new 2015 MacBook Pro than this garbage.

21. gctwnl macrumors regular

gctwnl

Never mind refurbished laptops. Where are the desktop upgrades? New MacMini, MacPro, MacI :)

22. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

...Then you would presumably be buying a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro. At least that would be the general idea.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    I've spend some time playing around with the touchbar version at the local Best Buy. I personally found the experience lacking and kind of gimmicky. It doesn't feel natural and seems to be less efficient than simply using the touchpad, at lest for most function that I've tested. The entire touchbar seems redundant, plus it comes at the expense of dedicated ESC key and F1 keys.

23. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

When the MacBook has powerful 28w CPU's rather than 5w weedy CPU's, a larger higher resolution screen and the other bells and whistles the Pro has, I'd consider it. Until then...

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Seriously, Apple? The MBP 13" have the 2012 version, with the DVD drive listed on the refurb site for over $800? It's comes out to $900 with taxes. Wow! Who in their right mind would pay that much for that now a days?! Where the hell are the 2013-2015 versions, Apple?

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Sold out.