Apple Adds 21 New Aerial Screen Savers to Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2016.

1. boodle macrumors member

2. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

That's a cool workaround, but my computers are typically asleep when not in use. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard for Apple to throw that switch - I bet they're probably saving that feature for tvOS 11. :cool:

3. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

All very pretty and scenic. Would've been bold to have included some that documented the effects of climate change, especially the China ones, or drought stricken acreage in southern and northern California. Given what's going on with the White House in January, it could have been an opportunity for a sort of subtle bipartisan documentary without commentary.

4. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

I wish for a universal Store App for IOS, Mac, AppleTV. Why do I need to sit infront of my Apple TV to search, purchase, and download apps? Nice to use my iPad or iPhone or for that matter my Mac.

5. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

They just added that feature for "universal apps".

"When you download a universal app to your iOS device, it automatically downloads to your Apple TV." -http://www.apple.com/tvos/

6. Yojimbo007 macrumors 6502

Yojimbo007

shows what a mess Los Angeles is. picked the worst city in CA to live At ... arrgh .
    Hongkong and Dubai are spectacular.

7. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

Ah, the forum didn't let me down - there was a predictable one on the 2nd page.

8. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

I must have missed it. How do you tell a universal app. I have downloaded a dozen or so apps to iPad in the last couple weeks, none are on my Apple TV. I just looked, 6 apps, not one says AppleTV. I want a tab or a pull down that says AppleTV. A Filter for no better term. Like when one uses the AppleTV to search for apps.

9. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Bring on the A10 Apple TV 5 with 4K HDR screen savers ;)

10. RandomRazer Suspended

how does one add one of those videos to the mac as a screen saver

11. Glideslope, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

No kidding. Guess there is not much scenery in British Columbia. I've been there several times (brother lives in Seattle.) Stunning landscapes. Most likely a Timism. Canada has always been an afterthought with Apple. :apple:
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2016 ---
    I'm bloody gobsmacked by this one Danny Ol Boy. Apple announces the additions with "One of the best features on the fourth-generation Apple TV is its high-quality aerial screen savers that play on the screen after a short period of inactivity." Yet you have a problem with a user pointing out the lack of functions that are actually a big issue for some?

Time to face the truth. I’m Off to Bedfordshire. :apple:

12. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Android TV uses pictures? Oh no, that must suck.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2016 ---
    An aerial view of a flushing toilet bowl, with the camera diving into the water funnel, would be spectacular.

13. ceriess macrumors member

I was surprised by how dirty and ugly Dubai was! Everything is coated in sand. And it really looks like it's literally in the middle of nowhere.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Here ya go: Mac version of Aerial

Follow that link, then click on the green "Clone or Download" button on the right. Then click on "Download ZIP".

15. NewtonAurelius macrumors member

NewtonAurelius

I think the flyover screen savers are nice options. I would like to have this option on the Mac as well. I cannot remember the last time the macOS screensavers were updated.

These would look especially good on my 4K HDR TV if the Apple TV supported 4K. Updating the Apple TV to support 4K should have been an easy update this year.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that is not quite how screen savers work though

17. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Since he was talking about what was being displayed on his television at a party, I have my doubts that particularly matters. :p

"Hey that's pretty cool!"

"No, wait, it's not actually a screensaver running on the Apple TV. IT'S NOT COOL AT ALL!"

18. jaconrad15 macrumors member

I would be willing to sell some of my footage to Apple for future updates! :D

19. Digitalweddings macrumors newbie

Wish they showed briefly at the end of each screensaveer where in the world it was taken...

20. RedpaX, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

RedpaX macrumors newbie

RedpaX

[​IMG] Omg Apple? skewed horizon Dubai! skewed horizon Apple!

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I like them they are pretty cool. I now have a basic familiarity with Dubai despite having never been there. Was getting tired of the old ones myself. Nice if you have kids as well passively teaches them about the world.

22. ikir macrumors 6502a

23. johngordon macrumors 65816

They are really nice.

The Apple TV is a funny thing - in some ways quite limited, but the things that it does, it does very well.

Here in the UK, the BBC iPlayer app on Apple TV is head and shoulders the best version I've seen for example, and always switch to Apple TV from the Virgin Tivo box to use it.

24. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

I think you'll find MacRumors said that, not Apple. There is no Apple press release or big announcement to them updating the screensavers bud.

And the point is, idiots seem to think there's one team who works on all the same things and when something gets updated they don't prioritise they get annoyed that "wasted resources are on this" - it's been clearly pointed out there's a team hired to just make these screensavers. The single sign on feature is not being worked on by the same people!

25. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

Just dowload them and play them like you would any other video

New ones can be downloaded from this post.

Old ones can be downloaded here:
    http://benjaminmayo.co.uk/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers