Apple Adds 21 New Aerial Screen Savers to Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's still a possibility with OLED, though retention is significantly more likely than any permanent effects.

I've yet to notice any untoward effects on my 2016 OLED but there's no harm in being cautious, prevention being better than cure and all that. Besides, they are nice when they come on, I only ever see them if we get visitors in the middle of us watching something, so that gets paused until they leave and the screensaver kicks in.

2. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

Not all developers have tvOS versions of their app. *If* an app has a tvOS version available, there will be "additional screenshots" for the Apple TV version in the App Store description (there will also be screenshots for an Apple Watch version, if available).

But I definitley like your idea of an "Apple TV" or device-specific search filter for the iOS App Store. That would be optimal!

3. crazyninja macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have an issue with new screensavers not downloading? I have had the Apple TV for 6 months now and it started off rotating between 4 different videos. I had the setting to download new content daily, yet I have still only seen the same 4 (San Francisco, Hawaii, London, New York). I changed the settings to Weekly, Monthly, and even Never and then back to Daily after a few days on each but nothing changed.

I have a 32gb device and just a few streaming apps on it. Is there a way to tell how much free space it has? I've just seen the screen that shows how big the apps that have been downloaded are.

It also usually just repeats the San Francisco night video over and over at night. I have updated to the newest version and the same issue exists. I've contacted Apple as well, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this. So perhaps it is only my specific device that is having an issue?

4. smobey macrumors newbie

The aerial screensavers are nice, but seem to get stuck on SF and London. And after a day or two they are just tiresome. I cannot believe Apple went to all this trouble with the ATV4 and didn't use any of the increased memory to fix the just plain broken piece of crap the Home Sharing screensaver is. It has only been able to cache a tiny fraction of your pictures, for years and years now! The fall update may have increased the capacity a bit, but now the screensaver gets stuck with just the cache and no ability to change the mode. I tried everything and finally called Apple support. I finally got someone who confessed that yes this is a problem and that his own ATV4 had stuck, but he was using the beta of the new update and it fixed this. I eagerly awaited the update and installed about a week ago, and, NOPE. It was still frozen in the cache. I had to reset the whole Apple TV and re-download all my apps and re sign into everything. THis wasn't nearly as big a PITA with the older ATVs, but with the app capability it sucks real bad.

Yes the screensaver is the MAIN feature of the ATV, not the best. When you aren't watching something that is what is on. Why would anyone want to see the same stuff over and over. I have over 10k images to shuffle and want my double priced ATV to stream them just like it does my music. I missed two weeks of my Christmas pics waiting for the update.

THere are years of complaints on the net about this tiny cache issue. It would seem to be a simple fix and one a way Apple could avoid pissing off its loyal customers on an hourly basis!

5. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

Well, that's kinda hard to avoid when you build a city in the desert.

6. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

All the more reason to be dissatisfied. To state all who are dissatisfied with Single Sign On are idiots simply by assuming all ATV Development is one team is quite an over reach IMO.
    The facts as many are aware that a single group are tasked with this one function clearly shows Apple has grown too large, and is no longer able to quickly focus on user needs. Fortunately we have seen an increase of crap code lately. I guess there must be some Idiots in certain Developer Teams. :apple:

7. Waterndirt macrumors newbie

You think they could have come up with a better selection than that. The first one, a tight shot of a freeway? The 110 / 105 nonetheless? Who's idea was that? At least show it correct with both directions chock full of traffic on the 405. ;)

The Dubai's / Greenland's are impressive.

8. SlyBriFry, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

SlyBriFry macrumors newbie

9. NY Guitarist, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I never tried the Flickr screensaver so I'm not sure if it's comparable, but have you tried VSCO? Sounds like it may be similar?

10. macman312 macrumors 6502

Disagree. Cities like NYC look amazing.

On a side note I wish they would implement this feature in MacOS.

11. uburoibob macrumors regular

I just downloaded them all. You could make a DVD and loop it with whatever you like for a party. Or make an extended version and use a thumb drive depending on what options you'd like...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2016 ---
    Just download them. There's third party software that will play them as a screen background...

12. saudade macrumors regular

saudade

Allow me to show more than 100 pics on my photo screen saver apple

13. Nuvi macrumors 6502a

I guess Apple TV didn't meet your expectations if screen savers end up being one of its best features... ;)

14. Braderunner macrumors member

*prioritize
    I wouldn't call other people idiots, then misspell a common word. And, the Apple TV needs a lot of improvement. Those who realize this, are not idiots. You either get it, or you don't.

15. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

Wow! Amazing! Now we can talk about something other than Emojis. Apple is on a roll right now.......down the drain.

16. foxcub6 macrumors member

Are you saying you can make a playlist from the aerial views or are you saying you can select which screensaver you with to view
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2016 ---
    Sounds brilliantly Apple can't even make the Apple TV show your own 15000 k photos without repeating after about a dozen photos , come off your ivory tower mr cook there are other companies doing better than Apple

17. carlsson macrumors regular

carlsson

I love these! :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2016 ---
    Yep – awesome scyskrapers, roads and airports! :)
    It truly show how ingenious we are!

Too bad though that we still make war and some people don't think we have an impact on the climate... :(

/imho ;)

18. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

3 Days now with "download new video" set to "daily" and I'm still just seeing the same old screensavers. What gives? Is there a way to force the Apple TV to refresh it's screensavers, short of erasing the whole damn thing? Thanks in advance.

19. GreginNJ macrumors newbie

If he or she is from the UK, Canada, Australia or NZ, that's how prioritise is spelled there. Webster, I think, Americanized its spelling along with many other words.

20. pankajdoharey macrumors member

pankajdoharey

21. strayts macrumors member

I have no idea how they got such clear images in China, where the smog is truly a sight to behold.

22. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

It's not misspelt when you live in the UK, you know the place that invented the language you ruined. You should realise (with an s) there are other countries outside "good ol' USA", makes you look a bit of an idiot.

23. seadragon macrumors 6502a

User: "I'd like the ability to choose the screensaver".

Apple: "No, you will see THIS one and you WILL like it."

24. Junior117 macrumors regular

Canada has been an afterthought with every non-Canadian company. At this point, I don't even know why I'm still complaining about it. -_-