Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I don't know if it's really necessary to have such a high resolution on a notebook... it surely does make some sense, you just take a look at the 13" MBP and the 13" Air next to each other. When used to the 1440*900 resolution, the MBP's 1280*800 screen looks painfully pixelated. But "retina"...? What would that mean? It surely doesn't need the same PPI as the iPhone (300+), because you're looking at the screen from a higher distance, thus a lower pixel density would be appropriate.

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't know if it's really necessary to have such a high resolution on a notebook... it surely does make some sense, you just take a look at the 13" MBP and the 13" Air next to each other. When used to the 1440*900 resolution, the MBP's 1280*800 screen looks painfully pixelated. But "retina"...? What would that mean? It surely doesn't need the same PPI as the iPhone (300+), because you're looking at the screen from a higher distance, thus a lower pixel density would be appropriate.

Doubling the resolution of the 13" MBP would result in a pixel density of only 232ppi. That seems appropriate to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.