Apple Adds High-End 15" Retina MacBook Pro to List of Macs Supporting Dell's 5K Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has updated a support document on its website to reflect that the high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, equipped with AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphics, is capable of driving Dell's dual-cable UP2715K 27-inch 5K display. Apple initially released OS X 10.10.3 in April with support for the dual-cable 5K monitor on the Retina 5K iMac and 2013 Mac Pro, but no notebooks supported the display at the time.
    Dell's dual-cable 5K display requires more bandwidth than is currently supported over a current single DisplayPort cable, so it uses a dual-cable solution that takes up two Thunderbolt ports on a Mac. The availability of Intel's Skylake platform with DisplayPort 1.3 support later this year will enable Apple to update Macs with support for external 5K displays that function over a single cable, at which point the company could theoretically release a 5K Thunderbolt Display.

The support document also lists the high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro as capable of driving most single-stream 4K displays (4,096-by-2,160) at 60Hz on OS X 10.10.3, becoming the first notebook to support single-stream 4K displays alongside the Mac Pro (Late 2013) and iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 and later).

Apple initially listed the high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon graphics as capable of supporting an ultra-wide display with up to 5,120-by-2,160 resolution at 60Hz, but has since updated the notebook's technical specifications to reflect its ability to drive a single external display at up to 5,120-by-2,880 resolution at 60Hz.

Article Link: Apple Adds High-End 15" Retina MacBook Pro to List of Macs Supporting Dell's 5K Display

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

This is great, I'm waiting for the 5K Thunderbolt Display !!!

This alone could make me want to wait for Skylake.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I can confirm this works. Tested it out yesterday.

4. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Glad I don't have this problem. I'm happy with my 15" retina 220PPI display.

5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

6. HumpYourWayUp, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

Awww, the jealousy - how cute! :D
    Relax! I kid, I kid...

Also 220PPI is sadly not state of the art anymore, there are numerous 15" laptops with 4K displays :-(

7. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

The race for "thinner" and "higher resolution" is killing Apple's computers IMO. The point will be here soon where I have this thin piece of crap that can drive a 5k display with, but can't do much else due to the crippling of hardware/software and the lack of any usefulness.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. When I get a new iPhone, the first thing I did was put all Apple's apps in one folder and put them on page two. I then went and downloaded third party apps that were better and did what those Apple apps should have done.

Now, when I install Yosemite, I do the same thing. I don't use any Apple apps any longer, except really Aperture. Yosemite has to be the worse OS X version I've ever used. All I do all day it seems is force quit apps, and that's after a clean install.

8. vetman35 macrumors member

2 cables for a single display hanging out the side of my MacBook Pro...No thanks. I will stick with dual Thunderbolt 27s daisy chained for now.

9. SpiderDude, May 28, 2015

SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

neato

This is great.
    I can already picture the next campaign:

"Buy a Macbook and a Dell 5k monitor and get a sandwich grill(*) !"

(*) sandwich making times may be conditioned to what programs you use.

:D

10. Going Digital Suspended

Not sure why anyone would buy a Dell UP2715K when for $300 more you can get a whole 5k iMac.

11. DudeDad macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

You should put Aperture in a folder and get Lightroom. I got tired of waiting for Aperture to be updated, and bailed for LR...it's what Aperture should have become. Handles my Canon 6D RAW files well, so much better than Aperture ever was, and great plugins available.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

In a few years, when the iMac is obsolete, the Dell 5K display will be able to migrate to a new computer. The iMac 5K display will not.

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Exactly. $300 more for a new Mac and a vastly superior display to the Dell. Dude, don't buy the Dell.

14. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Does anyone know if the Apple Watch can run this display?

----------

I can hear the violins from here.

15. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

Odd, I've got it on two different Macs, '14 MacBook Pro and 2012 MacBook Pro (not Retina) and it's solid. It's not very pretty but solid. I can't remember the last time I've force quit an app in Yosemite. Both were upgrades not clean installs.

16. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure the point of a laptop is to have a laptop.... you know. So you can take it places and put it on your lap.

*smacks forehead*

17. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Can the 5k iMac be used as an external display? If Apple enables it to be used by this new Macbook as a monitor at 5k, I'd do that.

18. horsebattery, May 28, 2015

horsebattery macrumors 6502

Because, user case.

"Already own a computer but want an external monitor, let's get an all-in-one!" - seems to be quite the blanket statement for everyone.

19. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

LOL. At the distance I use my MacBook, 4k would be overkill. 5k would be just stupid.

20. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Isn't it awesome to be on a Mac where the quality of aftermarket apps is very very high?

21. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

I've tried LR. I just can't get over the ugly UI. I may have to go that route someday, but right now Aperture does exactly what I need it to do.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nope. It's like laptop. You can output to other monitors til the cows come home, but it doesn't accept any external inputs.

Though if you're good with electronics and a soldering gun, you might be able to rig something up...

23. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

All the Apple apps seem to require force quit. Preview, Numbers, Pages. For instance, say I'm viewing an quick image in Preview. Simply closing the image window often closes the Preview app. It looks closed, it's gone from the dock, not in the app switcher, but it's still running in the background. So I have to force quit it to actually shut it down, as it's still using memory.

This happens with only Apple apps so far. Not all the time, but enough of the time. Pages/Numbers a lot too. iTunes memory leak too. I'll play music and get messages I'm out of memory.

----------

You better be listening to those violins using non-Apple software...

----------

I've thought of that before, believe me. I love Apple hardware, but they have simply given up on software. If I had to use a Mac with ONLY Apple apps, I don't know if I could do it, as much as I love the hardware. Their software just blows these days. But I don't need much more than Pixelmator, Coda, Transmit, Ember, iDraw, Wunderlist, and several other great apps.

24. dimabear macrumors newbie

how about the intel iris pro? the high-end rMBP gave off too much heat for my liking so i exchanged for the lower-end rMBP.

25. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Can anyone really tell the difference between a 4k and 5k monitor? I know that I surely can't with my aging eyes. When does the PPI race become futile? Seems to me we are already there. Maybe I'm wrong?