Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

atarin

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Chicago
Yeah, I think so!

I just logged into iTunes, looked up Aretha Franklin's "Respect" (since SJ used it as an example), and the bell showed up! It must be working!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
http://www.apple.com/iphone/
Go to this site and look for the ringtone tab (won't let me copy and paste) but it says "Custom Ringtones. Now available from iTunes." Has it always said this?

Good find! Too bad I just sent my mac in for repair...

I just logged into iTunes, looked up Aretha Franklin's "Respect" (since SJ used it as an example), and the bell showed up! It must be working!

Sweet!

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 720

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm not getting the icon? I have the latest rev. of iTunes.

Edit: Ah, you have to right click and enable ringtones. Neat

atarin

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Chicago
Ringtone service is dumb

Can someone tell me who is going to waste their time in browser mode in iTunes to find songs that can be made into ringtones? Unless I am having a *really* blonde moment, I cannot find a way to just look up a song or artist without going through all the hoops that iTunes in browser mode requires. It takes forever just to find a compatible song! Also, why isn't there an easy way to check if songs I already purchased are ringtone ready?

I think I am just going to stick with iToner and Garage Band. Any idea why they made this so difficult? Do they know no one is likely to really do this and do they know that we will all probably stick with our hacks that are already working just fine (and free)? Why bother with this? They must know this is really user unfriendly.

Maybe I'm being quick to judge. Maybe it's just a fluke that the bells are showing up for me (haven't tried to make a ringtone; don't really know that I want to spend the money). I suppose since they didn't make an official announcement that it's up, and since I only found it by accident, it might not be 100% ready; but I did what SJ did in the demo to find songs, so I'm thinking that is how they intend this to work. I just think it could be better.

stomachdoc

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2004
Outside of Boston
I don't think this is fully implemented yet; I purchased a song with a "bell" but there was no option to purchase the ringtone portion and the "bell" does not show up in my "purchased" list; just in the store. Nevertheless, the "coming soon" banner is off of the website now........

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
No bells at all for me - are you sure that you are seeing them? Hearing any ringing in your ears?:)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You can't get/make ringtones from iTunes currently.The OP is referring to the bell icon in the columns denoting if a song is capable of being a ringtone.The bell has a column but Aretha's "r-e-s-p-e-c-t" doesn't have a checked box in that column.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone know how to add the ringtone column to your current library or Purchased playlist so I can see if any of the music I already paid for by some miracle is on Apple's ringtone-capable list?

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I don't think it's working right...aren't we supposed to be able to use our current library for ringtones where there are purchased tracks that are allowed???

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Anyone know how to add the ringtone column to your current library or Purchased playlist so I can see if any of the music I already paid for by some miracle is on Apple's ringtone-capable list?

Right-click on any column while you have the purchased list up. You can then enable the Ringtone column. I did that, but none of my purchased songs show up as having "ringtone" capability.

When I did that to enable the column while my shopping cart was up, I got a dialog saying it would look through my songs and show which ones were available as ringtones (and show the bell icon). I didn't get this when enabling the column for my purchased songs.

atarin

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Chicago
My bad! I guess I *was* having a *really* blonde moment!

OK, it now seems that you *can* get the bells to show up in "regular" iTunes Store mode, but you need to do a view>options> then check the ringtone box for each search? It goes away if you search for something else and you have to put it back each time. Odd! I don't think they're done with this, yet. Also, on another discussion board someone said they tried to buy a song with a bell, and they were not given any ringtone-making options. It's definitely not ready. I judged too quickly. They apparently *are* trying to make it more user friendly, and I just need to learn to be more patient. :eek: Please don't flame me! I'm going to venture a guess that maybe with tomorrow being "new release Tuesday," maybe they'll officially launch it then?

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Doesn't work for me at all in my Purchased playlist...when I click on a column to bring up ones I can add, Ringtone is missing. I can add it to iTunes search results but that's it.

Oh well... then again I'm running iTunes 7.4.0 not the latest 7.4.1. Maybe they're doing this to make me update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.