Apple Adopting OLED Displays for All Three 2019 iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As Apple continues its shift from LCD to OLED technology for its iPhones, reports have indicated that two out of the three iPhone models planned for launch around the usual September timeframe this year will offer OLED displays - a second-generation iPhone X and a larger "iPhone X Plus." The lowest-cost option is said to be a new 6.1-inch model with a similar full-face display as seen on the iPhone X, but it will reportedly be an LCD rather than OLED display.

[​IMG]
    Apple's iPhone X promotional video highlighting flexible OLED display

Previous rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to OLED in 2019, with all models adopting the technology. A new report from South Korea's ET News is now adding its voice to the claim [Google Translate] based on information from its sources.
    While this isn't the first time we've heard this rumor and it does make sense based on Apple's trajectory, it appears the financial markets are taking this specific rumor fairly seriously. Reuters notes that shares of Japan Display fell as much as 20 percent today on the news (though they have recovered somewhat and are now down 10 percent), while Bloomberg points out that Sharp's shares fell 4 percent.

Japan Display is currently an LCD display supplier for the iPhone, and while it is moving to develop OLED technology, it will only just be starting up in 2019. That timing and lack of experience will make it difficult for Japan Display to compete against Samsung and other OLED vendors that are further along with the technology.

Samsung is currently the sole OLED display supplier for the iPhone X, but Apple has reportedly invested billions of dollars to help LG get up and running with the technology, and LG has been rumored to be the supplier for this year's "iPhone X Plus."

Article Link: Apple Adopting OLED Displays for All Three 2019 iPhones

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Is Apple going to get rid of the hideous notch?

3. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

4. tubeexperience, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

tubeexperience macrumors 68040

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

no. probably should get over it, since it's here to stay. just like not having a headphone jack.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

This is how you know Steve Jobs's legacy is dead: there is no way he would have approved of this.

7. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

But you can’t really say that for sure. Steve could have sold the hell out of it and made us all think ‘it’s the future’ and ‘the way forward’. In which case everyone would love the notch because Steve said so.

8. AngerDanger, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Actually, Steve would've been fine with this. I checked the book and everything.

sj book3.5.jpg

Page 334: "…furthermore, were my beloved Apple to remove the headphone jack from iPhones or add an unsightly notch, I'd wholeheartedly approve."

EDIT: Feel free to use this image in response to cliché comments like this. It is my gift to you.

9. cmaier macrumors G4

I hope not. notch is great.

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

This is what he would say about Apple today:

11. kanki1985 macrumors member

Stock markets are bonkers these days. This was not even a Ming Chi Kuo rumor! :rolleyes: /s (I know he quit)

12. eatrains macrumors regular

Steve approved the G4 Cube, the puck mouse, the iPod Hi-Fi, Ping, the button-less iPod shuffle, iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, the iMac with no ports, the MacBook Air with no disc drive...

13. aleni macrumors 68020

For the love of God. Please make the new SE full screen like the X. I’d pay $1000 for that little beauty! Who’s with me!?

14. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

If true, iPhone X resell value will take a MAJOR nose dive

On the upside, OLED standard would be sweet

15. cmaier macrumors G4

In 2019 one would expect the X resale value to be much lower. It’ll be two years old.

16. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Right, Apple has finally delivered us from the scourge of screen symmetry.

17. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hopefully this means the fixed the issues with the OLED panel on iPhone X...

18. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

True, that's more than another year out since it'd likely be fall 2019

I'm sleepy :p

19. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I dunno - he signed off on his fair share of problematic Apple products.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Weren’t you aware? Steve Jobs became perfect and his mistakes were not his but somebody else’s. Also, Apple is doomed because they make something people on MR don’t like.

21. tcellguy macrumors member

I don't think PWM is going away any time soon. I just hope they can get the frequency above at least 500 Hz

22. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

The rumors last year suggested all 2018 iPhone models would be OLED.

That's the whole reason why JDI scrapped its LCD production lines last year. They rebuilt their LCD lines earlier this year for the 6.1" iPhone.

This latest rumor is simply a price negotiation tactic.

23. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

I’d love an iPhone X style phone in a smaller form factor, but I wish people would stop talking about it in tandem with the SE. It should launch with the other flagship phones in the fall and have all the latest hardware.

24. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

he got rid of the floppy disk and cd drive. he'd approve of getting rid of the headphone jack and also getting rid of useless bezels.

25. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I wish people would stop saying this crap.

Acting like Steve Jobs was flawless. we are in 2018 and you have no way of knowing what he would have done.