Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Melablog.it notices that Apple appears to be advertising under the keyword "MacBook" in Google.it's search results.

The top result returns a link to the Italy Apple Store, which is not necessarily interesting in itself, but it describes the Macbook as starting at 999€.

No MacBook Pro starts that low, and the current iBook starts at 1049€ in the Italy Apple Store.

(Of note, the Google ad has now been changed.)

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Macnoviz said:
Was there macbook or macbook pro? in the second case, I guess it's a typo:eek:
Otherwise, I hope we can expect the iBook within a few weeks:)
Except that a price of 999Euros would imply a nonpro system. The MacBook Pro starts at 2159Euros at the Italian store, so it's not due to missing or transposed digits. 1259Euros would make me think it's a typo.

Comment

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
If it is real then we probably will see the Macbooks at the April 1st event.
The slightly lower price would be very welcome, too (I always thought the intel chips were at least 100 $ more, that would lower Apples Margin a lot).

Comment

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
tom_s said:
If it is real then we probably will see the Macbooks at the April 1st event.
The slightly lower price would be very welcome, too (I always thought the intel chips were at least 100 $ more, that would lower Apples Margin a lot).
Integrated graphics would keep the price lower ...

Comment

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
That's quite cheap, and like plinden says, it's less likely to be a typo if it's nothing like the macbook pro price.
plinden said:
1259Euros would make me think it's a typo.
I reckon this is a real leak, I don't see anything that says otherwise. (Edit: Unless the web site itself has just fed me a photoshopped image)
plinden said:
With a price this low, I hope it's not a Pentium M.
The google translated (poor) article is here: http://translate.google.com/transla...st/1620/su-google-tracce-di-un-macbook-a-999e

Comment

lonepilgrim

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
London
Just in case anyone hasn't looked, the current 12" iBook is selling on the Apple Italy store for €1049.

Edit: Sorry - the translated page makes that quite clear. Didn't see that.

Comment

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Yet another slip up. Most items seem to be "announced" before they actually are, anymore. Here's to hoping Apple releases something unexpectedly that most of us like (of course there will always be someone to complain about something, like I am doing in this post :))

Comment

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
ScottB said:
That's quite cheap, and like plinden says, it's less likely to be a typo if it's nothing like the macbook pro price.

I reckon this is a real leak, I don't see anything that says otherwise. (Edit: Unless the web site itself has just fed me a photoshopped image)

With a price this low, I hope it's not a Pentium M.
The google translated (poor) article is here: http://translate.google.com/transla...st/1620/su-google-tracce-di-un-macbook-a-999e
Probably a Core Solo, Pentium M doesn't have SSE3 which is a requirement for OSx86. (there are ways around it, but I doubt Apple would do it.

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Interesting, yet not surprising. We all know it's only a matter of time before the new iBooks are released - it should be any week now. Interesting about the price though, I wonder if that will indeed be accurate, and if so, what kind of specs that machine will have. I'm guessing the new iBooks will mirror the new Mac mini confgurations pretty closely (i.e. Solo/Duo, IIG :( ).

Comment

Shaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
plinden said:

I would rather pay an extra $100 for a dedicated graphics card. I hope they don't mangle the much anticipated MacBooks with an integrated card.

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple neds to work on the low to reduce entry level price

Why can't an Intel based iBook replacement start at (say) US$800? If other companies can sell notebook computers in tis price range then why not Apple? A 13" wide screen has about the same surface area as a 12" 3:4 format screen and should cost the same to make.

All they need is the lowest spec'd machine that can run iLife

Why do those old G3 based iBooks retain so much value. Buy all rights they should be seling used for under $100 but it turns out that for many, that is all they need.
Use a 40GB 5400rpm drive, 512MB RAM and integrated graphics and a low enough pric and they will sell.

Comment

Linksgolfer84

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Wisconsin
Shaker said:
I would rather pay an extra $100 for a dedicated graphics card. I hope they don't mangle the much anticipated MacBooks with an integrated card.

In order to avoid extreme dissapointment, I suggest that you (and all of us) open ourselves up to the real possibility of the MacBooks shipping with integrated graphics.

Comment

Shaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Kingsly said:
The mini's are performing surprisingly well on integrated cards.
I was pleasantly surprised when I tested one @ the Apple store.

Do you know if the new Intel Mini's RAM is user upgradeable or do you have to buy it from Apple like with the G4 Mini?

Linksgolfer84 said:
In order to avoid extreme dissapointment, I suggest that you (and all of us) open ourselves up to the real possibility of the MacBooks shipping with integrated graphics.

Alas, I know. but I can hope...:D

ChrisA said:
Why can't an Intel based iBook replacement start at (say) US$800?

Because Apple has not yet adopted the Japanese way of "flood the market with underpriced good to gain marketshare" mentality.

By all rights you're right it should be possible for Apple to do it.

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Kingsly said:
The mini's are performing surprisingly well on integrated cards.
I was pleasantly surprised when I tested one @ the Apple store.

agreed! A friend just purchased a 1.5 ghz solo and, even with integrated graphics/512mb of RAM, puts my 1.42ghz g4 mini to shame! very impressive, and that was only with the solo too!

Comment

iDirk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2006
Milan, Italy
Kingsly said:
Can anyone translate Italian? I tried but it ended up like google's translation. :eek:
Oh well, Im only half way through my lessons...
I would really like to read their commentary. If this is real I will be happy.
I'm Italian.
In the commentary someone is talking about an old photo which is widely considered to be a fake: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/alexsz
And someone confirms that some hours ago it was possible to get macbook price at 999 € simply tipying macboog in google search form (as it is said in the article).
And I have personally read in other forums about it: it's not a fake, it's sure.
Many people have been able to see that page, before it was changed by google... too bad i wasn't home this afternoon! :(

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Apple is messing up these days as much Amazon.com did in the past :eek:

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iDirk said:
Many people have been able to see that page, before it was changed by google... too bad i wasn't home this afternoon! :(

I saw the same page on google.it. The screenshot on the blog is accurate. It was like that earlier today.

arn

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.