Apple Again Promotes Apple Pay Cash in New 'Just Text Them the Money' Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new ad in its recent "Just Text Them the Money" ad campaign for Apple Pay Cash, this time focusing on how easy it is to sent cash to other people following a group dinner.

Like other ads in this series, the "Dinner" video features a text-only conversation where one participant uses the Apple Pay Cash feature to send another money. In this funny little spot, two people send the same $55 back and forth to one another, fighting over who gets to pay for dinner.

Today's 18-second ad is the fifth in the "Just Text Them the Money" campaign, with Apple having introduced the first four ads in mid-July. These short ads will be used on TV and on social media sites like Instagram and YouTube.

Apple first introduced Apple Pay Cash in iOS 11.2, allowing iPhone and iPad users to send peer-to-peer Apple Pay payments to one another using the Messages app. Money received via Apple Pay Cash can be used for Apple Pay payments or deposited in a bank account, much like other mobile peer-to-peer payment services like Venmo.

At the current time, Apple Pay Cash is a feature that's limited to the United States, and Apple has not provided details on when it will expand to other countries.

Article Link: Apple Again Promotes Apple Pay Cash in New 'Just Text Them the Money' Ad

2. tylerthomas28 macrumors member

tylerthomas28

I may be in the minority but in my immediate circle nobody uses Apple Pay Cash. Venmo, PayPal and Cash App have filled the void already.

3. davidmckay macrumors newbie

davidmckay

Second person isn’t offering any money, just refunding initial $55. If they were serious they would refund and send another $55...

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I probably use this more than regular Apple Pay at stores. It's so convenient!

5. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

maybe the "second person" was the person who actually paid cash at the restaurant, though, in the first place.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Screw Venmo.

I forced my circle to use Apple Pay Cash.

7. reden macrumors 6502a

The problem when you say it's on you, there's usually no back and forth like this.

8. McG2k1 macrumors member

Someone sent me Apple Pay cash and they were shocked to see a $15 charge. They usually use venmo and see no fees. I don’t need know if that’s true, but that’s what I was told.

9. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

Beat me to it!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2018 ---
    I used to use Venmo and google pay. I was super stoked when Apple Pay cash came out and I immediately switched to it and forced my circle to switch over as well. Now I only use Venmo with my one friend that refuses to ditch android. Apple Pay is a quick and first party solution. I love it

10. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Uh, no fees.
    These ads are a microcosm for what makes Apple such a compelling company. So clever, so pithy, so much of the message is embedded in the style of the communication itself.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

They must have linked their Apple Pay to a credit card, not a debit card. Sounds like they sent you $500, as the fee is 3%.

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I tried to use Apple Pay Cash the other day but apparently I need a Debit card. Oh well.

13. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

14. tmiw macrumors 68000

Honestly, I'm not sure most other countries need it as strongly as in the US. Keep in mind that our banking system is absolute garbage even compared to a lot of the developing world. (In fact, I'm kinda surprised cash doesn't play an even bigger role here than it currently does.)

15. Feyl macrumors regular

Feyl

First, I’m sorry but this ad is dumb as rocks. Second, can someone from the US explain to me where are these ads and what’s the value in it?

We don’t have any Apple ads where I live, so I’m curious if they play them on TV or something. When I was in New York a few years back, ads were everywhere at big places like Times Square and small places like bus stops.

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yah, if they used a credit card, it would be a cash advance, and there's a hefty fee attached to that at any bank. That's not exclusive to Apple Pay by any means. Does Venmo allow credit cards as a source of funds?
    First, you need to chill. This is meant to be simple and funny. It achieves that perfectly without getting complicated. People eventually mentally block out confusing ads.

Second, yes, they are shown on TV, and as interstitial ads on YouTube, etc.

17. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

That’s a LOT of pending payments to cancel :D

18. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

I just used this the other day and was surprised at how easy it is. Maybe too easy

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

20. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

The integration with iMessage is really slick. That said, it sucks its not multiplatform (same for iMessage) - our work group (where I'd use this the most) is about half and half on iOS / Android.

21. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

What’s wrong with Venmo? I’ve been using it for about a year with no problems at all. I prefer it over Paypal. Plus Apple Pay isn’t cross platform. So for me Venmo wins.

22. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

A lot of people I know use Zelle only because it’s an instant balance, Apple Pay cash is sorta..for Apple pay transactions but not bank balance. It would be nice to have that as available balance to use in the event Apple Pay is not available and you need to use a card, etc

But I love Apple pay cash, it’s very convenient

23. rugmankc, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018

rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

This has come in handy when my older son living in another part of the state wants to send me money to help pay for his younger brother's birthday or Christmas gifts etc. Very easy to use. The only problem I had was the Apple Store won't let me split payments. As in, I have 50.00 in APC and item is 75.00. It won't take the 50.00 and let me use the Credit Card tied to my Apple account for the balance. At least it was that way last year. But, places like Starbucks allows this. Go figure. I could always transfer all the APC to my checking account though.

24. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

They need to hurry bringing this abroad. There's a lot of options already gaining penetration.

25. Tech198 macrumors G5

It's already an expensive dinner as is..