Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't get it. Is it just because I am poor? Do people have that much trouble finding already established ways of paying for products and services? Do you really need apply pay (etc) in addition to what's already out there for decades?
Do you really need easier ways of spending your money?
Please feel free to send me some of it too!

Apple had decreed from this dayeth forward, the herd- er sheep, er lambs, er flock- shall attempt to pay for things (only) with Apple Pay instead of all of the other, long-established ways of paying for products or services. Among other things Apple does a get a little cut of every transaction even if you are NOT buying anything from Apple. So in our great and enduring need to further enrich the corporation and in our unwavering desire to do whatever the corporation wants us to do, we comply... because whatever a corporation wants is the one and only right way for all to go.

Clearly in not "getting it" you are not of the body. Landru- er I mean Apple- is the one and only way. You must be assimilated to be one with Landru- I mean Apple. Comply. Peace and prosperity be with you. Comply. And join us in spreading the word about the will of Landru- I mean Apple. Comply. Resistance is futile! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Trusteft

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Second person isn’t offering any money, just refunding initial $55. If they were serious they would refund and send another $55...

I think most people would think $55 -> $110 -> $165 -> $220 -> $275 .... would be very confusing and not know what is going on.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
It's already an expensive dinner as is..
I really like using both Apple Pay and Google Pay. However, I find (with good reason) most people are not keen to share their bank details with you (I include myself in this category). Even though I can transfer money instantly (UK) using my banking app to another persons account I've only ever used it once.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Someone sent me Apple Pay cash and they were shocked to see a $15 charge. They usually use venmo and see no fees. I don’t need know if that’s true, but that’s what I was told.

There's no fee with Apple Pay cash. My friends and I use it all the time.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Too bad it’s still not available in the U.K.
A Monzo or a Sterling Bank account in the UK will give you much the same thing.

I regularly pay at contactless using my Apple Watch and a Monzo account. Payments in and out appear instantly on the iPhone. Contactless watch payments are not limited to £30 (just contactless cards) and confirmations generally appear on the iPhone before the staff member has had time to print and tear off the receipt. Their apps make it very easy to transfer money, split bills at a restaurant, etc.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well then, since you’re in such a given mood with your dollars, how about sending me $50 ;)

J/k but truth be told I’m not if you want to hehehe.

I bought technology companies would’ve learned from BBMs mistake not making it multi platform. I just hope Apple’s iPhone and iMessage don’t follow blackberrys or RIMs demise.
I had a small problem with the way a light was installed in my new office just a few days ago (as a designer I'm mildly OCD). The guy came in between jobs the next day to fix it. We were out of town so I let him in remotely and he was done in 15 minutes. I sent him a tip using iMessages, lol.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
What’s wrong with Venmo? I’ve been using it for about a year with no problems at all. I prefer it over Paypal. Plus Apple Pay isn’t cross platform. So for me Venmo wins.

There are a lot of things I look at with a critical eye in the Apple system, Apple Pay cash is not one of them. Anyone I would consider sending cash to is on an apple platform. And for once Apple got it right the first time.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
I bought technology companies would’ve learned from BBMs mistake not making it multi platform.
When RIM launched the BBM on other platforms in 2013, the original BlackBerry was already insignificant in terms of market share (the chart doesn’t include BBs running Android):

chartoftheday_8180_blackberry_s_smartphone_market_share_n.jpg

But they might have had a chance to stay one of the biggest messaging services if they had countered the launch of WhatsApp with a cross-platform BBM already in 2009.

Same goes for iMessage: It came to late and is limited to a singular ecosystem. In markets that aren’t dominated by iOS most people just don’t care very much for a messaging service that only works with half of their friends. I tried long to convince people in my mostly iPhone-using circle to switch to iMessage (at least for communication with me) but finally gave in three years ago.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
They must have linked their Apple Pay to a credit card, not a debit card. Sounds like they sent you $500, as the fee is 3%.

This is true, also there is fees with PayPal setup with a credit card (CC). My PayPal is setup with my bank not a CC thus I do not incur any charges. A family member was not aware of that, so when they paid online with their PayPal setup with a CC they also were charged a service fee.

Purchase items at the store or online with a CC the merchant is charged a CC service fee, not the purchaser. However, many merchants up their prices covering that CC fee. Some places, when one pays cash, will actually lower their price.

Solution, setup Apple Pay Cash, PayPal, and the like, with your debit card or bank account. Doing that does not incur any fees; yes it is safe.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
There are a lot of things I look at with a critical eye in the Apple system, Apple Pay cash is not one of them. Anyone I would consider sending cash to is on an apple platform. And for once Apple got it right the first time.
Ok so you’re saying its preference then. You made no argument of why Venmo isn’t as good as Apple Pay. That’s fine if you only want to send money to a few of your friends. But when you do business everyday and have to cater to non iOS users, I haven’t found anything better than Venmo/Paypal.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had a small problem with the way a light was installed in my new office just a few days ago (as a designer I'm mildly OCD). The guy came in between jobs the next day to fix it. We were out of town so I let him in remotely and he was done in 15 minutes. I sent him a tip using iMessages, lol.

Nice!!

Just hope he didn’t lift anything from your home. Let me guess you have cameras that you can view remotely as wel; right?

If you have tips on those and placements PM me.

Thx

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Second person isn’t offering any money, just refunding initial $55. If they were serious they would refund and send another $55...

That makes no sense.. if we are out to dinner and I pay the bill say its $110 and you apple cash me your half $55... Why would i return your half and then another $55 on top of that?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nice!!

Just hope he didn’t lift anything from your home. Let me guess you have cameras that you can view remotely as wel; right?

If you have tips on those and placements PM me.

Thx
None indoors but I have Ring cameras front and back. Would like to get more eventually. Not keen on cameras inside my house but have considered getting some to turn on when we're out of town, which is often. Also my new 4K HDR monitor arrived early while I was gone and I was able to remote let a neighbor in to put it inside for me. Technology can be really great sometimes. Anyway, the guy's boss is my neighbor so I trust they wouldn't take anything. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have let them in. Besides, I don't have anything expensive laying out and my wife isn't really into jewelry. I usually have most my expensive stuff in my bag (mirrorless camera gear, MacBook Pro, Nintendo Switch, iPad Pro, SSD), and the room that is being finished is going to be my new office studio which will be where all my expensive stuff will live. All my office stuff (collectibles and some of my gear) has been packed up for the past two years since moving and after adding a downstairs kitchen for my wife's daycare some hired help and myself have finally finished the studio and it's going to be amazing. Should be done tonight if the flooring guy shows up! Looking forward to posting my setup in the forum but might wait until I get an iMac Pro or Mac Pro next year and get some art up.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Screw Venmo.

I forced my circle to use Apple Pay Cash.
Did you also force them to buy iPhones and set up Apple Pay with a bank account so they can use it?

Really I think Apple Pay is better, but I haven't even bothered setting it up cause nobody and nothing uses it, and unfortunately half my friends use Android phones too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipponrg

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I don't get it. Is it just because I am poor? Do people have that much trouble finding already established ways of paying for products and services? Do you really need apply pay (etc) in addition to what's already out there for decades?
Do you really need easier ways of spending your money?
Please feel free to send me some of it too!
I have had issues with Apple Pay terminals so I don’t like using it. I do use iMessage Apple Pay.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Very clever. Very pithy. Especially when it was done last November in Canada...
A) The fact that it was Also done by somebody else doesn’t change whether or not it is pithy. And in fact, the Apple version is much prettier than the long TV commercial that you linked to. So that half of your comment makes no sense.
B) If you are just trying to be snarky and take the piss out, and are assuming that Apple “copied” another company, you’re probably wrong. It is the kind of idea that is fairly straightforward, and not so wildly original that two, three, or four marketing companies couldn’t come up with it on their own. This happens all the time in advertising. No company intends to copy another, but sometimes they come up with the same idea separately.

That aside, what makes the Apple version so great, and what you apparently failed to appreciate, is the simplicity of it. And the fact that it reduces that entire elaborate situation involving sets lights and a dozen actors in the BMO spot down to its most essential elements. And because it is showcasing the text messages only, it is incredibly efficient. That’s where the real art & craft lies.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Did you also force them to buy iPhones and set up Apple Pay with a bank account so they can use it?

Really I think Apple Pay is better, but I haven't even bothered setting it up cause nobody and nothing uses it, and unfortunately half my friends use Android phones too.
Nope they all already had iPhones. I did force them to use Apple Pay though, just depends how close you are to your circle :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.