Apple Aiming to Begin Electric Car Production in 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Intrigued.

But I still want an Apple Car section on the forum.

2. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

^ This is spot on. :D

3. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Well, Apple or not, if someone releases a self driving car, I'll be the first one to save up and buy it. I never learned how to drive, now I won't have to.

4. poe diddley macrumors regular

If it's so top secret explain how anyone knows when they are hoping to release it? I think the theorists need to chill out a bit.

5. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Apple isn't going to be selling tens of millions of cars a year either. They aren't going to become GM or Toyota overnight. They will be upscale, this fits in with their fashion branding of the Apple watch. The car will be expensive.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Honestly I'm not worried about making an early adopter mistake since resale value will be huge. :D

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Right now at Apple HQ

[​IMG]

Man do we have them fooled!

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've considered its price but I think Apple is going to want to mass-produce. I don't expect it to be over $50,000. Probably in the ~ $40,000 range to compete with Tesla.

9. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Apple doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Just the ownership and driving experience.

10. steve333 macrumors 6502a

If it's anything like their computers:
    Underpowered
    Overpriced
    Seats too thin
    The battery will be soldered on

11. 2bikes macrumors 6502

I`m waiting to see a case/cover for it before anything else.

12. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

It really is. There are already people who are willing to buy it site unseen regardless of cost. Imagine 5+ years of this?

13. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Doubt it. They can release expensive and nonexpensive models together like Apple Watch. But if they get into the car business, their eventual aim would be to sell it to most people.

14. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

And people will sell their first born to buy one.

15. iBug2 macrumors 68040

And if the car is self driving, then selling it worldwide would present many issues. Each country would have its own regulations about such sci-fi concepts like self driving cars.

16. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

They already have stores worldwide. Not a stretch to have more of them, and large enough for car service. Besides, electric cars have far fewer mechanical issues than internal combustion cars, as they have fewer moving parts.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I want a quieter and cooler, redesigned iMac retina 5K.

18. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Eventual aim. They aren't going to become the largest auto producer overnight. Most major car companies have been in business for 50-100 years. They also have huge R&D departments.

19. stubbornapple macrumors member

I'll hold out on the first gen and wait for the second gen.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This project is "secret". All of Apple's other projects are revealed years in advance.

----------

MR drama. This project, assuming it even exists, is no more "secret" than anything else they've ever done.

21. wilhoitm macrumors 6502

22. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Yes and there were companies that produced telephones for over 50 years.

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I guess it depends on where the market pricing is in 5 years. I think the Prius is the top selling hybrid car. I don't see a newcomer selling millions of cars in the first year.

24. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

The automotive industry is on the verge of a major shakeup. New technologies are quickly becoming more powerful, compact, and affordable, and it's not a stretch to imagine that within a decade self-driving electric cars will be out on the road. Obviously it'll be a very long time before everyone has one, or before they are affordable enough to reach the entire market. But the industry is definitely moving in that direction. Apple has shown that it can beat the incumbents at their own game. Without the legacy baggage that big auto manufacturers have, and with a nimble team, automated manufacturing, and a killer product, Apple could make inroads here. It's definitely a moonshot-type project for them, but big risks pay off big when they hit.