Apple Aiming to Begin Electric Car Production in 2020

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone explain why Apple would be leaking this now? I just find if baffling.

cpragman

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
According to Wikipedia, Saturn was able to go from blank slate to a factory, workforce, and car in 7 years. So maybe 5 years is possible, but definitely a stretch.
What other Apple products will suffer in this timeframe due to diverted resources?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
But Apple isn't announcing it. It's been leaked to gauge consumer interest. Imagine 5 years of hype so people can convince themselves they can't live without an Apple car and how it will change their lives? Think about the potential.
You can gage consumer interest in a product that doesn't exist?

Not a leak. Just a rumor.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Yes and there were companies that produced telephones for over 50 years.
Making millions of phones is a bit easier than making millions of cars. Cars are bigger. You can't put 250,000 of them on a cargo plane and fly them around the world.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eventual aim. They aren't going to become the largest auto producer overnight. Most major car companies have been in business for 50-100 years. They also have huge R&D departments.
That is the current car companies biggest weakness! They are 50 years behind and way too invested in the old way of doing things!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Can someone explain why Apple would be leaking this now? I just find if baffling.
I don't believe Apple leaked it. I don't think Apple will be doing a car. It would be the weirdest thing really, something akin to an Apple hand drier.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Can't Apple just buy Canada or some other nation?

Apple isn't dreaming nearly big enough.
Or they could come up with their own country. Hire some ex-presidents, secretaries, etc.

Tesla has made the patents available for free. Why not make money off of tesla' shard work?
Did Tesla make all of their patents available? I think only some of their patents.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Making millions of phones is a bit easier than making millions of cars. Cars are bigger. You can't put 250,000 of them on a cargo plane and fly them around the world.
If you have people waiting to buy them all over the world, you can ship it to them. That's not the difficult part.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
So looking forward to this...5 years is a long time, though. We were using rocking the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 back then, haha.

----------

Samsung.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You can gage consumer interest in a product that doesn't exist?

Not a leak. Just a rumor.
Why not? I don't know how accurate it would be, but this is probably a controlled leak for whatever reason. This will be the biggest investment and undertaking in Apple's history. If it fails, it would be a huge hit on the company, it's not going to be the experiment like the 5C was, once and done.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I hope it comes in more colors than white, black, and space grey. :D

Making cars does not seem like an Apple thing to do... but maybe they have something in mind that would make it worth it? I guess we'll see.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Early concepts feature the following:
  1. It won't have Windows
  2. Steering wheel replaced by Trackpad
  3. You'll need an iPhone for full functionality
  4. Horn replaced by Gestures

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If you have people waiting to buy them all over the world, you can ship it to them. That's not the difficult part.
Quantity. Autos are shipped from Japan, Korea, etc to the US by ship. It's not overnight delivery.

hugogogo2003

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
tsss don't speak if you don't know

This is so utterly ****ing ridiculous. WHAT IS GOING ON AT APPLE? A ****ing car?!?!?!?

Truly this is not Steve Jobs' company any more. Wow.
enough with the "steve jobs would never approve" etc. people at apple are not crazy lunatics. and it was indeed jobs' dream to build an iCar. the project was in the pipeline even before the iPhone.

read his biography, him (and jony ive) hate most cars built today and he def wanted to get in that industry.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3000126/apple-svp-confirms-steve-jobs-icar-dream

Last edited by a moderator:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
That is the current car companies biggest weakness! They are 50 years behind and way too invested in the old way of doing things!
The auto industry could possibly get flipped upside down very quickly for this very reason.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Quantity. Autos are shipped from Japan, Korea, etc to the US by ship. It's not overnight delivery.
Obviously, but if someone wants to buy an automobile, they are used to waiting for it if the model is not available in the shop that day. Nobody expects to buy these the moment they want them.

The hard part would be manufacturing them. No factory in China will be producing 50000 of these every day. Apple would probably need new factories all around the world.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The Apple car will probably be built with low cost Foxconn labor. There are plenty of state of the art auto making facilities from many different companies.