Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Apple reaps such profits because they only make high-margin upper-tier handsets and they have a natural monopoly on the iOS handset market. Anyone who wants an iOS phone has to pay an exorbitant price for it if they don't want to buy used. Many people without heavy needs would buy a cheaper/less powerful iPhone if one were available, but Apple does not make low-end phones and no one else can make iOS handsets to bring a product to compete with Apple, let alone introduce something for that market segment. It's called "captive audience".
Funny, The so called 'low end' phones are in most cases capable of doing the same if not better than Apple's 'high end phones' o_O

Last edited:

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
But iOS often won't even let us switch between most apps without reloading and losing what we're doing,

Hmmm strange, but I've been switching between apps and multi tasking for a few years now without a problem. Are you sure you've kept up with the latest iOS?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Hmmm strange, but I've been switching between apps and multi tasking for a few years now without a problem. Are you sure you've kept up with the latest iOS?

What are you using?

My older iPads have had major problems switching between apps (and Safari tabs) since iOS 7. They're now on 10 and it's worse than ever.

The Apple support forum has a 70 page thread on the topic.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
What are you using?

Right now iPad Air2, iPhone 6 and latest iOS. But I was able to switch between apps, copy and paste for quite awhile.

The only thing one can't do well is take a call and browse internet on the iPhone 6 at same time on Verizon. The issue is Verizon and not iOS.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Right now iPad Air2, iPhone 6 and latest iOS. But I was able to switch between apps, copy and paste for quite awhile.

The only thing one can't do well is take a call and browse internet on the iPhone 6 at same time on Verizon. The issue is Verizon and not iOS.
With voice and data enabled you "should" be able to do that. My 6s will talk and surf simultaneously on vzw. Maybe your account settings have to be reviewed by Verizon customer service?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What are you using?

My older iPads have had major problems switching between apps (and Safari tabs) since iOS 7. They're now on 10 and it's worse than ever.

The Apple support forum has a 70 page thread on the topic.

My $400 iPad Mini performed worse than a $50 Kindle. Thats right. A $50 Kindle

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Explain to all of us what it is that the $50 kindle does better than your iPad. Let's start with screen color.
Well for starters it can retain more than 4 browser tabs in memory.
There is no input lag while typing.It takes a split second for the keyboard to pop up but once its out there is no lag
The screens are similar. No diiferences there
Opens settings and other menus decently fast.My iPad mini hanged for 5 seconds just trying to open settings

Reactions: kdarling

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is no input lag while typing.It takes a split second for the keyboard to pop up but once its out there is no lag
Opens settings and other menus decently fast.My iPad mini hanged for 5 seconds just trying to open settings
So that's it. The entirety of the argument? Tabs? There is no lag on any of my devices and no delay to get the keyboard to pop-up. The kindle, as we have one, isn't quite the epitome of an living ecosystem. But your ipad mini, no matter how much you post your dislike, has access to a hugely popular and varied app store; which is more than kindle.
[doublepost=1489251405][/doublepost]
Funny, The so called 'low end' phones are in most cases capable of doing the same if not better than Apple's 'high end phones' o_O
Well not quite, if you take into account the entire ecosystem and top notch support. Every phone out there today can check facebook and respond to emails. However, if ecosystem, integration, support and longevity are not an item you care about, then you are correct when the functions each phone performs are reduced to a common denominator.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You seem to always have a lot of problems with iOS devices.

Reactions: I7guy

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Or that they make the best phone! I'll pay more for the best phone, just like I pay more for the best
computer, a Mac. Or better cars or a better house etc..

I Mac is nothing but a PC running Mac os.you can build way better hardware buying the parts yourself and build a computer.

I have over 1500 in video cards in my built PC that will blow the living doors off anything you can buy in an Apple store.

let me know when u can game on that 5000 dollar Mac pro lmfao

kdarling

macrumors P6
No phone maker is doing it at the scale that Apple is making. Period. Huawei and Samsung produce a lot more phones, sure, but they don't manufacture hundred of units of the same phone. The s7 sold 25 million in launch quarter. The iPhone 7 sold 75 million units. If a Samsung phone needs a component that has a shortage, they can switch to another part for another model. If an iPhone has a part shortage of a part, it can only weather that shortage because every phone that Apple sells needs the same parts.

I would say it's the other way around. It's a lot easier to make 75 million of three base models, than it is to make 75 million of a dozen or more models, because fewer models means fewer differing parts to be sourced.

With fewer parts involved, it'd also be easier to estimate how many of a certain part are needed.

In the end, they're both ordering huge quantities. The biggest difference is that Apple contracts parts and assembly out to others, while Samsung also makes many of their parts and assembles phones, in their own factories.

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
Have you seen iOS lately? It is blindingly white.

Your point being?

If you compare an LCD phone with an OLED phone on the same brightness level you will see the OLED is less blinding or distracting to the eye than any LCD screen. Because OLED does not use backlighting. That backlighting is what is blinding to the eye. OLED's pixes are individually lit making the brightness much more even and less distracting to the eye.

My eyes hurt looking at a phone with an LCD screen and have no problems looking at OLED. It is why I can only handle phones with OLED in them. Moto Z Play all the way.

Reactions: Radon87000

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Your point being?

If you compare an LCD phone with an OLED phone on the same brightness level you will see the OLED is less blinding or distracting to the eye than any LCD screen. Because OLED does not use backlighting. That backlighting is what is blinding to the eye. OLED's pixes are individually lit making the brightness much more even and less distracting to the eye.

My eyes hurt looking at a phone with an LCD screen and have no problems looking at OLED. It is why I can only handle phones with OLED in them. Moto Z Play all the way.
Not only whites but all around OLEDs are much more pleasant than LCDs. In fact the contrast added in videos where the blacks are infinite is incredible

Reactions: nofear1az

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Your point being?

My point being OLED burns through battery when displaying bright images.

As for your reasoning why OLED is easier on your eyes... it has no physiological foundation and likely psychosomatic. Bright is bright.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
The type of LCD used in the iPhone also uses more power to display whites.

(It defaults to black and requires power to turn the crystals to allow the backlight through, the opposite of older LCD types which defaulted to white.)
The power consumption difference between white/dark for LCD is far less than that for OLED.

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
My point being OLED burns through battery when displaying bright images.

As for your reasoning why OLED is easier on your eyes... it has no physiological foundation and likely psychosomatic. Bright is bright.

my battery with OLED lasts 5 days.... can you say the same about your phone with LCD?

You don't keep it on full 100% brightness. So, I don't understand your deal with bright is bright. What does that even mean to you when you say that? LCD can be bright. OLED can be bright. What are you trying to get at?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Which sounds like another way of saying that OLED will drop power consumption much more than LCD will when going from white to black.
The problem is the UI for iOS is always very white. That is going the be bad for OLED.

my battery with OLED lasts 5 days.... can you say the same about your phone with LCD?

You don't keep it on full 100% brightness. So, I don't understand your deal with bright is bright. What does that even mean to you when you say that? LCD can be bright. OLED can be bright. What are you trying to get at?

I think things are getting taken out of context is why it is confounding. I said "bright is bright" to summarize why equivalently "bright" displays, whether LCD or OLED, will have the same effect on the eyes. If anything, LCD might be easier on eyes because OLED tends to over saturate colors.

I am not sure why people get so upset and even outraged when someone doesn't laud how great OLED will be on the iPhone. OLED is great for television. Television is watched indoors and has constant motion. iOS devices are used indoors/outdoors, have static icons, and a largely white UI. So unless the iOS device is used indoors the "infinite" contrast is meaningless, the UI will destroy any power efficiency gains, the icons along the top will burn in, fonts/edges will be fuzzy because of pentile pixels, and the device will cost more to buy/repair. Is this cost/benefit worth it just to have OLED?

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
The problem is the UI for iOS is always very white. That is going the be bad for OLED.

I think things are getting taken out of context is why it is confounding. I said "bright is bright" to summarize why equivalently "bright" displays, whether LCD or OLED, will have the same effect on the eyes. If anything, LCD might be easier on eyes because OLED tends to over saturate colors.

I am not sure why people get so upset and even outraged when someone doesn't laud how great OLED will be on the iPhone. OLED is great for television. Television is watched indoors and has constant motion. iOS devices are used indoors/outdoors, have static icons, and a largely white UI. So unless the iOS device is used indoors the "infinite" contrast is meaningless, the UI will destroy any power efficiency gains, the icons along the top will burn in, fonts/edges will be fuzzy because of pentile pixels, and the device will cost more to buy/repair. Is this cost/benefit worth it just to have OLED?

OLED does save battery power. Nobody keeps it on full 100% brightness so the battery life savings are there whether you choose to believe it or not. I know because I've had several OLED phones and they tend to have GREATLY outlasted their LCD counter-parts. Proven!

Maybe to you, LCD is easier on your eyes but that is not the reality for so many others. When you have any display with back-lighting shinning through pixels to light them up that becomes ONE the most inefficient way to light up a pixel because it requires more power for more light to passively go through the pixel so you can see it. It also makes the lighting variable across the screen. on OLED each pixel is lit-up on it's own causing a more fluid and smooth lighting across the screen while using less power to do it, but the argument can be said for except white, however; today's OLED is much more improved than it was in it's infancy starting out.

We can disagree and that is fine but more and more companies are going to OLED simply because of the benefits that OLED offers over LCD and when Apple does go that route they will do it right and show how great these benefits are including battery life.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
OLED does save battery power. Nobody keeps it on full 100% brightness so the battery life savings are there whether you choose to believe it or not. I know because I've had several OLED phones and they tend to have GREATLY outlasted their LCD counter-parts. Proven!

Maybe to you, LCD is easier on your eyes but that is not the reality for so many others. When you have any display with back-lighting shinning through pixels to light them up that becomes ONE the most inefficient way to light up a pixel because it requires more power for more light to passively go through the pixel so you can see it. It also makes the lighting variable across the screen. on OLED each pixel is lit-up on it's own causing a more fluid and smooth lighting across the screen while using less power to do it, but the argument can be said for except white, however; today's OLED is much more improved than it was in it's infancy starting out.

We can disagree and that is fine but more and more companies are going to OLED simply because of the benefits that OLED offers over LCD and when Apple does go that route they will do it right and show how great these benefits are including battery life.
I am not sure we have the same concept of "easier on the eyes". Whether a photon comes from a backlight or from a pixel, it is a photon. Likewise, pentile pixel arrangement does make edges of fonts and things a bit "fuzzy" so points lost on that.

You have had several OLED phones and base your power consumption estimate how? Different phones are different. I know OLED displaying white screen uses more power than an LCD. Fact.

Look, it is fine, you like OLED. OLED is a newer technology and is absolutely great... but not for everything. OLED is fantastic for television. It isn't strictly best for mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.