Apple AirPods vs. Google Pixel Buds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2017.

1. H818H macrumors newbie

Indeed I am "free" to purchase or not purchase. I tried purchasing, and sent them back. Twice.

I'm disappointed I have invested in a technology ecosystem which increasingly appears to be making user-hostile, ani-consumer decisions.

Semi-essential additional accessories are now required for almost every major apple product. These boost the average price (and profit margin) of each sale massively:

- Phone cases - needed due to camera bump + for protection of expensive, anti-ergonomic device
    - AirPods - needed due to no headphone jack
    - USB C cables - needed to connect iPhone to new MacBooks/Pros

I don't know, but I imagine apple also make something off most 3rd party accessories through licensing.

You could love your AirPods all the same, and use them just as much as you do, and there still be a headphone jack in the iPhone.

The choice to remove it is nothing but anti-user.

2. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

Google has this crazy new "me too pricing" strategy without the "me too substance." They're losing it.

3. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

I was commenting on your evaluation of the AirPods and Watch and your argument that you could purchase 51 pairs of earbuds instead. That was, for me, a senseless equivalence.

But, obvious answer is obvious: move on to another "technological ecosystem" that fits your needs.

4. bbzzz macrumors newbie

As one whose ears the AirPods don't fit well and who likes decent bass I've stuck to regular IEM (Shure SE425) which do fit but now lack a way to connect to current iPhone models

A W1 chip in a little brick with 20 hour battery and a 3.5mm socket would be much appreciated. I know others have made such things but they are usually large, clumsy (hardware and software) and not brilliant battery life. Given the Airpod size a version with a socket instead of the speaker would be neat.

5. tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

I mean as far as I know, there's only one way to insert them? I've had this problem with other earpods as well.

6. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

And 50 pairs of wired earbuds still won’t give me the desired experience as one pair of Airpods.

That’s like saying I can get 100 pairs of bicycles for the price of a car. Ultimately meaningless metric.

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I dunno. I quite like the notion of having had a hand in helping to bring about this new world order as envisioned by Apple. Loss of headphone jack and everything.

8. jasonsmith_88 macrumors member

Exactly what study are you waiting for? This subject has been studied extensively for the past 20 years. None of those studies have proved, with any statistical significance, a link between RF EME exposure and adverse health affects. More so, there's no known biological mechanism by which RF EME could cause adverse health affects. People with EME hypersensitivity cannot distinguish between RF EME and placebo, indicating this is a mental condition caused by the idea of RF EME, not RF EME itself.

Unlike RF EME, there are types of radiation that actually do harm you, like UV radiation. So I hope you never let sunlight touch your skin. If you're so worried about a type of radiation that has no proof nor method of harming you, it would be quite ironic of you to expose yourself to radiation that has been proved to damage DNA and cause cancer, through both statistical evidence and known scientific mechanisms.

9. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

Sounds less good for the pixel buds, will look into other reviews, but ...ouch.

10. alecgold, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017

alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

That’s exactly my problem! No matter wat I do, they wont stay in. One squirrel and I loose at least one AirPod. I really liked them, small, convenient, lots of charge, more then enough power. One thing I missed was the ability to cut out my coworkers completely.

I also have Bose’s QC35 they block out everything including, but not limited to, the last judgment, World War III, and my mother in law. But they are big, clumsy, heavy and unbelievable warm and sweaty in the summer. And I’m not a huge fan of the Bose sound signature.

Then I have some shure SE846, present from a coworker, with comply foam tips. Those are my everydays. Brilliant sound, excellent seal, no itchy/warm/sweaty ears. Downside is the wire and no controls. Oh and the price is phenomenal.

But now there are the BeOplay E8. They look like dragi’s have a really nice sound signature, fit really wel (for me, fitting is so personal) are able to play around 4 hours, they sense if they are in your ears, have an array of tips so they are much more likely to fit.
    They have less technological advanced chips inside them, just Bluetooth 4.2 but they do have touch pads on both of them. Those touch pads allow them to do a lot.
    A transpar mode, softer, louder, next, previous, stop/start and some other things I don’t use and forgotten.

Beside the nice sound (taste) and fit (also personally but adjustable with the tips) they have the transparency mode, which lets you hear what is going on around you. So when using the comply tips they block out ~20dB of sound. That is a lot. With music on (which doesn’t have to be very loud) you don’t hear much of the environment. Yet if somebody starts to talk to you, one soft tap on the left bud and you can clearly hear them. Another tap and you can retreat in your own nice warm world again. It’s so convenient for study and work. But also when using public transport or even when you’re shopping and want to pay or working/reading/chilling in a Café.

Are they perfect? No. They are almost twice as expensive as the AirPods. (Arch!) and the have the extremely annoying habit of cutting out about twice a minute for 1/10th of a second on just the left earbud. But I’m positive that they will iron this out in the next software update. That’s another thing with these e8’s, they can be updated over the air, but it takes about 12minutes. And use is not advisable during this.

11. Teammm macrumors newbie

Teammm

Wow, I've been wrong all this time

12. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

There really is no comparison. One has wires, one doesn't. It's like comparing a Volvo to a Porsche. AirPods are so much more sleek, small and unobtrusive and with functionality unparalleled by any other brand right now !

13. Jakewilk macrumors member

Haha I’m talking about the translation in the video, genius. Look at exactly the 7 minute mark in the mac rumors video and then tell me I’m a liar :p

14. attilavago85 macrumors member

attilavago85

Iconic my a**... Every time I see someone wearing them, I burst out laughing. For women it's fine, but men wearing them look like drag-queens. And all that shame for what? Limited controls, iffy fit, and half-decent audio quality? Nah, will stick to my Bose.

15. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Loving my AirPods. Can’t imagine using any other headphones in their place.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I thought they were crap. I use a variety of head/earphones, but I find the Sony WF1000-X (with noise cancellation) a much better product:

[​IMG][​IMG]

When I don't want to use those then I use the Bose QC30 (again with noise cancellation technology) or QC35 over ear when I am at home. The second generation AirPods may be worth buying if they are a better fit & have noise cancelling.

17. jarman92, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

jarman92 macrumors 6502

AirPods look identical to the regular earbuds, sans cord. Those original white headphones were the star of one of the most famous and successful ad campaigns in history. They made the iPod and the iPhone stand out when they were first released precisely because they're white, unlike all the competitors' black sets; to this day they're instantly recognizable. Whether you like them or not, they are iconic.

Not really sure what drag queens have anything to do with anything, but its pretty sad that you're so concerned with other people's opinions of your appearance. Says a lot more about you than it does about AirPods :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2017 ---
    You're comparing apples to oranges...AirPods were never meant to have amazing audio; if that's something you want/need, definitely look elsewhere. I'm willing to bet all those other sets are more expensive and have far less battery life, worse connection, worse microphone, and are more difficult to pair than the AirPods.

As for the fit, I understand that AirPods don't fit everyone but I cannot even fathom that because they fit my ears so perfectly I often forget they're in for hours at a time. And while completely subjective, I find both those black blobs of plastic incredibly ugly.

18. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The AirPod audio quality is indeed terrible but that is supposed to be their primary function!

The other ones I mentioned (and own) are indeed a little bit more expensive because they are better in every way and I've never found pairing something via BlueTooth to be a problem.

Some of Sony's latest wireless earphones & headphones are LDAC compatible which means their audio quality is pretty damn insane, making the AirPods (and other naff cheap earphones) look like a product of yesteryear.

19. cmaier macrumors G4

I’ve owned every model iPhone since the beginning except the SE and the plastic one. Never used a case. I Dispute that it is “needed.” Never broke a phone, either. And who cares about the camera bump?

You don’t need airpods. It comes with headphones that plug into the lightning jack, and it comes with an adaptor for regular headphones. You are also free to use any non-Apple Bluetooth headphones you may already have.

I agree that a usb c cable should be included (or at least an adaptor). But plugging in is almost never necessary anymore, for what it’s worth.

20. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

You've got to be joking us keeping the yap going about your precious Sony earbuds. First of all, to anybody crazy enough to take your hate spew literally: No, they don't sound terrible! They sound equally as good as the wired. Now that we got that out of the way:

To suggest the AirPods are a naff cheap earphone that looks like a product of yesteryear I mean, what planet are you living on with that BS? If anything, THIS is what looks like a product of yesteryear okay?! Go jog with your bulky ugly sticking out PC products LOL and btw. make sure you look extra carefully at any traffic, that you won't be able to hear. Thank me later.

[​IMG]

21. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I don't wear any earphones outside, only when at work or travelling and the AirPods do sound rubbish. I am no audiophile, but the sound quality is very poor. You obviously don't know any better as you haven't used decent earphones to be able to tell the difference between good, average & bad.

If the AirPods were good, I'd say so. I own enough Apple stuff to be able to say when I like something Apple branded or not. Unfortunately, the AirPods are just as bad as the wireless Beats X earphones (which I also own) when it comes to sound quality.

22. H818H, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017

H818H macrumors newbie

- The introduction of a v thin phone with a camera bump will have resulted in many many more people buying cases. You went without - fine. But I guarantee that a thin, slippery phone with curved edges + camera bump = case sales.

- The lightning headphones are flawed on many levels - they're merely a gesture. Iphone only connector, not rotatable, likely to fail fast. New iPhones are built for wireless audio first and foremost.

As long as AirPods exist, and a headphone jack in a new iPhone doesn't, I hate AirPods.

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

And their stock closed at $1056 per share.

24. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Here are the headphones I own.
    [​IMG]
    Haven’t touched them since I got my Airpods.

25. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

The build quality, sound and features on that stock price must be some of the best.