Apple AirPods vs. Google Pixel Buds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2017.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

She has passed, but thanks.

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Lookup Nokia N9. THe blackberry Z10.

3. chabig macrumors 601

This makes no sense. AirPods work great with non-Apple devices.

4. gbc204 macrumors regular

Love my airpods, but it is extremely annoying how often they don't transfer the audio correctly when i try to make a phone call. Says they're connected, but just silence.

5. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Not sure I agree with this. The sound quality is similar to their wired buds, which is mediocre at best and the fit is horrible. No noise cancelation. I don’t think Apple gave as much thought to them as they should have to make them what they could be.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Well the concept of the google buds is cool I.e translation. However the auto pairing feature has been a game changer for me. I’ve never really liked Bluetooth headphones until I got the airpods now I exclusively use my airpods.

7. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Seems like a very small segment have problems with the fit, which is unfortunate, but the vast majority are perfectly happy with the fit and sound quality and the real draw of AirPods is their unprecedented convenience.

Noise cancellation isn’t even a possibility with the tiny battery they have to work with.

8. subjonas macrumors 65816

I chose my Beats X over the AirPods largely because of the connecting cable. I find it convenient to let the earbuds hang from around my neck when not in use, especially when I have to take them out and put them back in often, as is the case at work. I also like having a more functional remote, a sacrifice the AirPods had to make by getting rid of the cable. (Although I don’t know if I like Google's implementation there.)

To each their own.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 ---
    Really? I do that all the time with my Beats X. Sometimes for music too. I don’t find it awkward at all.

9. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

I have the BeatsX as well. If I need some better isolation I use them. But 9 outta 10 times I reach for The AirPods.

10. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Sony's WF-1000X is a true wireless which has very effective noise cancellation, great audio quality, and works particularly well with Apple devices streaming AAC encoded content. They are lightweight and extremely secure when properly fitted. Switching from one Apple device to another happens exactly as it does with a W1 chip capable set of Beats. The only downside is the battery life is three hours, but the carry case can fast-charge for an additional 1.5 hours in 10 minutes, and can do so multiple times (or two full charges before needing to be recharged itself). Mine have been performing tremendously well, and I think the key is AAC streaming from an iPhone or iPad. Lots of complaints about these from Android users, but my experience with these has been really good.

11. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

These work perfect.

12. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I had to laugh when i read your comment, the AirPods do not fall out of my ears (as the EarPods do) HOWEVER the right one has that feeling like it wants to fall out sometimes but i know its not going to.

13. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Yes, q-tips with cords running out of the bottom is much better looking

14. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

Did the price go up? I thought AirPods were $149?

15. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Always been $159.99

16. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

Easiest way to control AirPods volume, pause/play and what to listen to is from an Apple Watch.

17. hogo macrumors regular

Any in ear wireless headphone that doesn’t seal the canal sounds like crap imo. The bass is severely lacking because of it.

18. H818H macrumors member

At a mere combined cost of £408 minimum (AirPods + Apple Watch series 1).

After a couple of years I'd probably have to upgrade one or the other of these.

For the same price though, I could buy 51 pairs of EarPods from amazon. I could use a new set every month for 4.25 years.

If you're willing to pay that for not having a cable, go for it. I believe my SE will be my last iPhone.

19. Filazafer macrumors newbie

Filazafer

Seems like a very fair review from an obvious Apple guy, but I find it strange that you didn't go into detail about the Google assistant and siri features. In all the other reviews the built in Google assistant seems to be the feature that everyone universally loves on the Google product.

20. H818H macrumors member

Cheapness is not my number 1 aim. A great experience is.

I have bought AirPods twice and returned them twice.

- Switching between devices with AirPods encounters lag. There's a delay as it switches.
    - AirPods are another thing to charge. AirPods run out of battery. Airpods won't last a full day's listening, no interruptions.
    - AirPods are useless for video editing (latency issues) where EarPods do fine.
    - AirPods are easy to lose and a real hassle to put into a case every time I take them out (vs swing round my neck)
    - AirPods means I have to do all volume controls from my phone, vs useful inline remote on EarPods.

And like it or not, they look a little silly.

You can rationalise it all you want as "they're just EarPods with no cables" - but they still look funny. Over time, that's likely to change, but right now, they look dopey - especially when pointing out of the ears.

21. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I second. Apple AirPods is the best earphones in the market. The convenience of its Wireless technology is absolutely amazing. Best Apple invention ever.

22. H818H macrumors member

So great you can't adjust the volume without invoking Siri

23. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

Listening to music or books is just a small part of all the ways I use my Watch. I have the original version—2.5 years old and still functioning superbly. The Watch is my favorite piece of tech in 33 years of Apple gear.

My studio work flow is not compatible with wired headphones. I’d damage my work, my phone or myself. I enjoy listening to music or to books but I also have to make sure I don’t disturb classes or colleagues around me. For me, Bluetooth headphones or earphones are important. Obviously they aren’t for you.

I think the design of the AirPods is astounding.

You of course are free to purchase or not purchase whatever you wish.

24. jujufreeze, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017

jujufreeze macrumors 6502a

Why do Google and Samsung copy Apple? Rather than make a second-rate clone of the original like Liam Gallagher and the Beatles, try some unique innovation in a completely new direction and you'll be respected for it, such as Microsoft's Surface dial and holo lens. Compete by offering vision, not copycats.

25. rearmstrong85 macrumors newbie

rearmstrong85

I didn't think they were doing much let alone still alive. AirPods are the best of the two out right now