Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benj4min

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
New York, NY
I just got off the phone with Apple tech support. I recently resubscribed to iTunes Match and was thinking about moving over to Apple Music. I wanted to know if the matching system was the same as iTunes Match because they finally got it right. It works perfectly. Finally.

Anyway, the tech support lady said I should just subscribe to Apple Music because iTunes Match is ending in about a month...

I figured this was coming soon, but this is the first “official-ish” word I’ve heard.

Anyone else caught wind of this? I wonder what they’re gonna do with the iTunes Match subscribers who refuse to be pushed towards Apple Music? And if true, the iTunes Store can’t possibly be too far behind...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Are you sure it wasn't just a misunderstanding and she meant that your current subscription ends in a month and she was recommending Apple Music?

I doubt the rumour is true.

As to the iTunes Store, Apple has said repeatedly that it isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: martyjmclean

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Haven't heard of this yet. As said above, she might have meant your subscription was ending in a month, not the service as a whole.

benj4min

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
New York, NY
Are you sure it wasn't just a misunderstanding and she meant that your current subscription ends in a month and she was recommending Apple Music?

I doubt the rumour is true.

As to the iTunes Store, Apple has said repeatedly that it isn't going anywhere.

Haven't heard of this yet. As said above, she might have meant your subscription was ending in a month, not the service as a whole.

No misunderstanding. I just subscribed to iTunes Match 2 weeks ago.
I even said “Seriously?” to her, and she replied, “Yes, seriously.”

She could be misinformed, but she said it with great certainty.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
No misunderstanding. I just subscribed to iTunes Match 2 weeks ago.
I even said “Seriously?” to her, and she replied, “Yes, seriously.”

She could be misinformed, but she said it with great certainty.

Given Apple's notorious levels of security, I somehow doubt this low level employee would be privy to such information.

Now, we do know that Amazon are pulling their version in the next few weeks...

benj4min

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
New York, NY
Given Apple's notorious levels of security, I somehow doubt this low level employee would be privy to such information.

I mean, I thought the same, but her sureness was very surprising. If iTunes Match is being pulled soon, it wouldn’t be surprising that tech support already knows, or was even informed to tell customers that iTunes Match is about to be discontinued. I mean, I do understand that I’m part of a minority that has yet to fully embrace streaming, so maybe they see this info coming out as not a big deal...

*shrug*
[doublepost=1524970933][/doublepost]

And wow... I didn’t know about this. In my opinion, terrible, unfair move.

Apple would be amazing if they just made the iTunes Match service free for non-Apple Music subscribers. Just implement it automatically in iTunes. It’s only $25 for an entire year. How much would they really be losing...?

I’m a big music fan and I have many special editions of albums, indie albums, mixtapes, and b-sides that can’t be found on streaming services. I would hate for cloud access of that music to be taken away as a consequence of me not wanting to subscribe to Apple Music.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple would be amazing if they just made the iTunes Match service free for non-Apple Music subscribers. Just implement it automatically in iTunes. It’s only $25 for an entire year. How much would they really be losing...?

Doesn't iTunes Match allow customers to launder their pirated music for DRM free songs from Apple's Cloud? I am not sure the RIAA would be happy if this was a default option free in iTunes...

benj4min

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
New York, NY
Doesn't iTunes Match allow customers to launder their pirated music for DRM free songs from Apple's Cloud? I am not sure the RIAA would be happy if this was a default option free in iTunes...

You could look at using it in that way, but I personally don’t do that and I’m sure that’s not how Apple intended it to be used.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Don't think iTunes Match is going anywhere "for now" but since both Apple music and iTunes Match sorta do the same job, with the only difference one only works with Apple music catalog, and based on tags only for matching, while the other uses a better algorithm, perhaps Apple could eventually use pieces from one, for the other.

This would therefore "fix" Apple music. All Apple wold have to do is add an option in iTunes to say "Only match to the iTunes Store"

I reckon Apple will go down this path eventually.... but for now its probably "transition"

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Don't think iTunes Match is going anywhere "for now" but since both Apple music and iTunes Match sorta do the same job, with the only difference one only works with Apple music catalog, and based on tags only for matching, while the other uses a better algorithm, perhaps Apple could eventually use pieces from one, for the other.

This would therefore "fix" Apple music. All Apple wold have to do is add an option in iTunes to say "Only match to the iTunes Store"

I reckon Apple will go down this path eventually.... but for now its probably "transition"

Apple Music has used the same matching algorithm as iTunes Match for nearly 2 years now so there shouldn’t be any difference: https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/18/appl...-music-subscribers-identical-to-itunes-match/

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Well.. it won’t be ending to current subscribers in a month, you pay a year in advance. It might close to new subscribers though.

I’m not even sure if it would be all that practical to cancel the Match service. If Apple want to allow me to stream my own music via iCloud (to phone, TV or HomePod) then they need some sort of Match type backend otherwise they will have to store my library on their servers. That will take a lot of space when you multiply times all their users. And are they going to charge me for that storage?

Pushing me onto a service that costs six times the price (Match vs Music) when I have zero interest in Music’s additional features is not going to happen. I’ll just cancel my sub.

Last edited:
Reactions: benj4min

benj4min

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
New York, NY
Well.. it won’t be ending to current subscribers in a month, you pay a year in advance. It might close to new subscribers though.

I’m not even sure if it would be all that practical to cancel the Match service. If Apple want to allow me to stream my own music via iCloud (to phone, TV or HomePod) then they need some sort of Match type backend otherwise they will have to store my library on their servers. That will take a lot of space when you multiply times all their users. And are they going to charge me for that storage?

Pushing me onto a service that costs six times the price (Match vs Music) when I have zero interest in Music’s additional features is not going to happen. I’ll just cancel my sub.

Exactly. Agreed.

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
I just tried to sign someone up for the $30/year "iTunes Match" service to connect their Music Library to their iCloud account and I cannot find a way to do this from a Mac in an iPhone. Perhaps I'm missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Apple Web site still describes how to subscribe to iTunes Match (as of 12/31/18):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.