Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firms Gartner and IDC yesterday released their preliminary quarterly personal computer shipment data, offering up a picture of market performance during the fourth quarter of 2009 and for the year. As usual, the two firms' data sets contain some differences, but both reveal a strong rebound for the PC industry, with worldwide shipments growing between 15 and 22% and U.S. shipments growing approximately 25% between the fourth quarters of 2008 and 2009.

093846-gartner_4Q09_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q09 (Gartner)
According to Gartner's report, Apple slipped behind Toshiba into fifth place in the U.S. market in grabbing a 7.5% share, down 0.2% over the year-ago quarter. The number is also down from an 8.8% share in the previous quarter, although Apple typically sees a decline in market share in the fourth quarter of each year as it comes off of the strength of its third quarters buoyed by educational sales.

093846-gartner_4Q09_us.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q09 (Thousands of Units)
Apple's U.S. unit growth for the quarter was 23.3% year-over-year, trailing only slightly the U.S. industry growth of 26.5%, but fell victim to astounding 70.7% growth from Toshiba that propelled the Japanese computer maker past Apple for the quarter.

IDC's report paints a slightly different picture, showing Apple gaining market share in the U.S. as it slightly outpaced overall industry performance. According to IDC, Apple's U.S. shipments grew 31% year-over-year for the fourth quarter, ahead of the 24% growth of the overall industry and allowing Apple to move from 7.0% market share in the fourth quarter of 2008 to 7.4% in the fourth quarter of 2009. As in Gartner's study, however, Apple was still leapfrogged by Toshiba's 71.5% growth, pushing the Mac maker into fifth place in the U.S. market.

For the year, IDC's numbers show Apple edging out Toshiba for the fourth position in the U.S. market, claiming 8.0% market share on over 5.5 million computers shipped. That number was up slightly from 7.9% for calendar year 2008, and came on 8.2% unit growth. As usual, neither Gartner nor IDC covered Apple's worldwide performance for the fourth quarter or the full year, as the company does not rank in the top 5 by global shipments.

Article Link: Apple and Overall PC Industry Post Solid Shipment Gains in Fourth Quarter 2009

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple continuing to hold steady despite a crappy economy that has demolished the sale of luxory goods and despite the supposed rise of the crackerjack box netbook is pretty impressive.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple has been enjoying record Mac sales, quarter afer quarter, in a recession, outpacing the rest of the industry. It seems that netbook sales were ven stronger, for obvious (and rather disturbing) reasons.

According to IDC, Apple's U.S. shipments grew 31% year-over-year for the fourth quarter, ahead of the 24% growth of the overall industry and allowing Apple to move from 7.0% market share in the fourth quarter of 2008 to 7.4% in the fourth quarter of 2009.

I worry for the other box-makers pushing netbooks. Not a healthy way to do business over the long-term. Vendors making damaging price cuts to increase share is not all that impressive, and a strategy that only results in an inflated and artificial picture of actual performance.

Dell, Acer and HP are in a race to the bottom, and have essentially had zero impact on Apple's ownership of the Premium end of the market.

And since when has Apple ever competed with $300 crippleware? Those who opted for a netbook were never going to buy a fully-featured PC (much less a Mac) anyway. Cheap commodity units always sell, no matter what the state of the economy.

The market is quite ready for a shakeup. Bring on the tablet.

100113gartner02.gif

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Yea, but you know those numbers are not the whole truth since a lot of those are $300 netbooks!

Godgem

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
why

Why?:
1) Apple have problem with shipment 27 imac
2) New macbook have some downsides no firewire an remote...
3) Mac pro is expensive compare new hardware (imac i7 score better in some test)
4) Some people waiting for tablet

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
After having so many problems getting my girlfriend's brand new computer accept any operating system thrown at it (other than Vista 32-bit), I am saddened that we helped contribute to this increase in market share (actually...no...we bought in the UK). The idea that a company who, at this very moment, is still shipping Satellite Pros with Vista 32-bit is both disconcerting and disgraceful. I'm always pushing the Mac, but when people's finances are low and they HAVE to go PC, I have always felt confident suggesting Toshiba. Not any more. UGH!

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
Why?:
3) Mac pro is expensive compare new hardware (imac i7 score better in some test)

Answer:
No one apart from nerds who hang around here know about any of that stuff.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yea, but you know those numbers are not the whole truth since a lot of those are $300 netbooks!

A loss of only 0.2% marketshare in the wake of all this cheap commodity junk flooding the market (recession-bait) is pretty damned impressive. Apple sidestepped the whole netbook craze, ended up selling Macs in record numbers, retained the Premium market, retained their overall share, and are now poised to unleash what could be a total mobile computing game-changer.

If you read the numbers behind the numbers, it isn't looking too good for the other box makers.

Why?:

Why what?

Apple ended up selling more Macs, quarter after quarter - record sales, and this quarter that's about to end is expected to be another record-breaker for Mac sales. There has been no problem at all with Apple's Mac sales. Your points don't really add up when it comes to Apple's numbers. It's simply that the flood of cheap netbooks is a reality, and while it's not really hurting Apple, it's definitely hurting the other box-makers. You need to move a helluva lot of netbooks to make even half-decent numbers.

There is nothing Apple or anyone else can do about the onslaught of cheap, disposable junk that has flooded the market during a recession. This is what's so worrying. Netbooks are ruining the industry.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
They look good, despite Apple's perception of being expensive along with a ( almost world wide ) recession.

Any stats on the more important world wide figures? ( World wide figures being vastly more important than one single market, IMO)

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/4.7.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/167)

I don't think Toshiba netbooks are hotsellers. It must be their portege range which has had quite a price drop recently. I could be wrong but am just thinking aloud.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What about revenue instead of unit numbers?

Shipments vs. revenue. Yes, they're two different things. Shipping more units doesn't always mean you're making more money.

The netbooks surge seems to suggest that mid-range PCs running Windows just don't cut it in terms of perceived value. People seem to be opting for the very low-end (bad for the industry) or the very high-end (good for Apple.)

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
The Toshiba gain shouldn't be a shocker.

Toshiba is the 5th Largest PC Manufacturer in the WORLD. Apple isn't even in the TOP 5.

These are just expected numbers overall. It's going to be awhile before Apple makes the TOP 5 in these categories.

I highly doubt that's there biggest concern anyway, the numbers go up for Apple, what else is new.

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
So how many of these Toshiba computers are $300 netbooks?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

First, these charts simply list percentages of machines...which means they could be netbooks, notebooks, desktops, workstations, or servers.

Second, Netbook growth has been high and steady (and no, they're not all $300...up to $450 realistically)...but there are dozens (yes, dozens) of PC laptops priced at $449-$699 which is still far cheaper than Apple's $999 base laptop. And there are dozens of PC desktops that are great machines for $599 compared to Apple's $1199+ Macintosh lineup. And Psychology will easily tell you that humans don't like seeing extra digits in a price tag...or even $599 vs. $600.

Overall I think this is ok news for Apple (and its shareholders)...but let's not forget that Apple has always offered expensive computers. Period. Readers here can chime in all they want about "the experience" but Apple is expensive and hence that's one of the major factors that for 20 years Apple has remained below 10% Marketshare. I'm not bashing. I'm stating facts. Add to this mix that Apple, over the past 5+ years, has really moved away from the computer industry and moved into the consumer electronics industry (iPods, iPhones, iTunes, iPod Touch gaming devices, etc.) and even changed their company name to reflect this move.

I sincerely hope Apple, someday, breaks the 10% personal computer Marketshare mark. For the 2+ yeara that Vista was a fiasco, Apple did a great job building personal computer marketshare. I emphasize building. However, Apple now has to contend with a new and highly respected Windows7 versus Vista being a disaster 6 days after its release. Apple will have to work very very hard if their goal is to break 10% personal computer marketshare. But, maybe marketshare is not what Apple is concerned about (which is fine too so long as profits are great).

-Eric

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
What about revenue instead of unit numbers?

That's where Apple does well in.

TOSHIBA REVENUE: 6,654billion (YEN) Numbers are down as of March 31st 2009

TOSHIBA NET INCOME: -343.6billion (YEN) As of that same date.

APPLE: It's just GREEN Across the board.

As long as there's a Green Apple, that's really what matters.

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
There is nothing Apple or anyone else can do about the onslaught of cheap, disposable junk that has flooded the market during a recession. This is what's so worrying. Netbooks are ruining the industry.

What? What flood of junk? Please list. Sure, maybe a few vendors have dropped prices (or offered Sales) on laptop and desktop units...but the real recession only has lasted a bit over 1 full year. PC manufacturers cannot and will not have knee-jerk reactions and whip up a hunk of junk just to save someone $75. It takes time to build/design any computer...then market it, etc. as well as all the research BEFORE even starting. This process does not take 60 days...more like 9 months.

Netbooks serve a great purpose...they (introduced a few years ago) are fantastic sub $500 machines that are super light, have great batteries (6+ hours), and are perfect for web surfing and very light work as well as intermittent use (meaning, due to their small 10" screens, you're not sitting their for 3 hours straight like you would on a 15" laptop or full desktop). I have a Dell I got for $300 (Jan 2008, well before the big recession) and I use it for vacations...and when it's home it acts as an iTunes player for my home stereo (streaming iTunes from another computer). $300. For a lot of people who want a 2nd, cheap, not-gonna-use-it-that-much computer, netbooks are fantastic. Bash them all you want but they provide a niche just like the (ahem, far overpriced Macbook Air for $1599) the Macbook Air or the AppleTV or the $2500 Mac Pro.

-Eric

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
PC manufacturers cannot and will not have knee-jerk reactions and whip up a hunk of junk just to save someone $75.

They did. Which is why they really aren't making any money.

http://microelectronics.cbronline.c...ed_as_q4_revenue_dips_20_to_17_billion_130509

Toshiba in the red as Q4 revenue dips 20% to $17 billion
Published:13-May-2009
By Datamonitor staff writer

Sales in Europe fell 47% to $1.9 billion

Toshiba has reported a net loss of JPY 184 billion ($1.9 billion) for the fourth quarter 2008, compared to net profit of JPY 1.25 billion ($12.6m) in the year-ago quarter, on revenue down 20.4% at JPY 1,671.5 billion ($16.9 billion). It made an operating loss of JPY 182.9 billion ($1.8 billion), compared to JPY 4.6 billion ($46.8m) in the year-ago quarter.

http://www.itworld.com/business/68159/hp-revenue-drops-tough-climate

HP revenue drops in tough climate
by Robert McMillan

May 19, 2009, 07:35 PM — IDG News Service —
Computer industry bellwether Hewlett-Packard reported a 3 percent drop in revenue as its major lines of business continued to be hammered by the global recession.

The company also became the latest technology vendor to resort to layoffs in order to cut costs. Over the next 12 months, HP will lay off about 2 percent of its work force, or about 6,000 employees, HP Chief Financial Officer Cathie Lesjak said during a conference call with financial analysts Tuesday. HP employs 321,000 worldwide.

These box-makers are bleeding money left and right. It's all about the race to the bottom. Cheaper, crippled hardware at low prices is the name of the game.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Simple explanation: Microsoft introduced Windows 7 in Q4 2009. PC makers expected to see a corresponding jump in sales. This should continue for a few more months. Check again in Q2/Q3 2010.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Simple explanation: Microsoft introduced Windows 7 in Q4 2009. PC makers expected to see a corresponding jump in sales. This should continue for a few more months. Check again in Q2/Q3 2010.

This makes a lot of sense as well. No doubt that Windows 7 has had a positive effect.

Godgem

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Why what?

Apple ended up selling more Macs, quarter after quarter - record sales, and this quarter that's about to end is expected to be another record-breaker for Mac sales. There has been no problem at all with Apple's Mac sales. Your points don't really add up when it comes to Apple's numbers. It's simply that the flood of cheap netbooks is a reality, and while it's not really hurting Apple, it's definitely hurting the other box-makers. You need to move a helluva lot of netbooks to make even half-decent numbers.

Netbook are there for while, Yes apple dont make low end...
Everybody know that,

But current line of notebook is not fresh, and new macbook is a bit disapoitment

scroto

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Trenton, MI
You guy's just can't handle the fact that Apple is in 5th place (weak) and their computer sales are stagnant.
As for netbooks they serve a purpose or people wouldn't buy them. The only reason Apple doesn't have a netbook is because no one will pay $1000 for a netbook.

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
They did. Which is why they really aren't making any money.

These box-makers are bleeding money left and right. It's all about the race to the bottom. Cheaper, crippled hardware at low prices is the name of the game.

So:

1)You are not going to reply to anything else I had to say in the post?

2)You are using words like "crippled"...not the industry...and you refer to no products to prove your "crippled" point. The Windows PC industry has been selling very well and killing Apple at Marketshare for decades. It has been a recession for 12+ months...every company under the sun has laid off people. Do you also recall the mid-90s (when times were just dandy I might add) when Apple was ready to close its doors? So what's all the bashing on a few PC vendors that DURING A MAJOR RECESSION has to lower prices and/or lay off some people?

The Windows PC industry is a completely different industry than Apple. You should know that...everything from operating system licensing to hardware choices to retailers. The Windows PC industry's strategy has always been about offering far more choices than Apple (as well as their fellow PC vendors) while also providing far more pricepoints. Period.

Apple makes great products...and Apple makes a hefty profit. This topic is about shipments which equate to marketshare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.