Apple and their iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SuperKerem, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

This is so true! :eek:

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Apple tends to release hardware (in particular RAM) that is minimum necessary for good performance with their finely tuned software. By the time Apple does increase RAM, it's because the upgrade has become necessary for smooth operation. That's been the case since the first iPhone (128MB RAM). You either accept it and buy the Apple device that fits your needs or you switch to a different platform.

Apple is in the business of selling hardware and they're not going to make "future-proof" devices because that'll mean less reason to upgrade ergo less sales. They also enjoy massive economies of scale so even if the price difference between 2GB and 4GB is a mere $5, when you're making 50+ million iPads a year, that's $250 million.

3. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Yeah, I guess that's why Apple's worth billions :p

Fortunately some devices like the iPad 2 and iPad Air 2 are more 'future-proof' than others :rolleyes:

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yup. Apple currently has market capitalization of $585.9 billion so that's more than half a trillion dollars. :p

And interestingly enough, the iPad 2 only has 512MB RAM. It was more "future-proof" because the low resolution doesn't need much to operate acceptably. I feel the iPad 3 was rushed so they can release something with Retina display. However, starting with A6/A6X, we're starting to get diminishing returns for non-enthusiast usage.

I reckon comparing relative performance of iPads to Intel, the line-up will be something like this:

iPad 3: Atom (Bay Trail)
    iPad 4: i3 (Clarkdale)
    iPad Air: i3 (Sandy Bridge)
    iPad Air 2: i3 (Haswell)
    iPad Pro 9.7": i5 (Skylake)
    iPad Pro 12.9": i7 (Skylake)

Atom Bay Trail will be noticeably laggy. Anything from i3 Clarkdale and newer will run normal tasks smoothly but the difference in CPU will be significant for applications that require more grunt.

5. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Haha, with the Intel references you're my type of geek :D

Honestly, I would say the iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 9.7 should be in the same category since the CPU is only 10% faster and the RAM is identical :rolleyes: